Where did Jesus first meet Simon Peter and Andrew?
Matthew 4:18-19 and John 1:42-43
There is no contradiction here at all. The chronology of events becomes evident when viewing the grid below. In John 1:35ff, John the Baptist was with his disciples. He tells them that Jesus is the "Lamb of God" (v. 36), and they stay with Jesus a while (v. 37). In John 1:40-42, Andrew goes and gets Simon-Peter, and they follow Jesus. Why? Because Andrew had spent time with Jesus and told Simon that Jesus was the Messiah (v. 41). Later, in Matt. 4:18, Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee, and He sees Simon-Peter and Andrew as they were fishing. He had not asked them to follow Him until this point in verse 4:19. They do (4:20). There is no contradiction.
|Event||Matthew 4:18-20||John 1:35-42|
|John Baptist sees Jesus||35 Again the next day John was standing with two of his disciples,|
|"Lamb of God"||36 and he looked at Jesus as He walked, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God!"|
|John tells his disciples to come see the lamb.||39 He said to them, "Come, and you will see." So they came and saw where He was staying; and they stayed with Him that day, for it was about the tenth hour.|
|Andrew followed Jesus.||40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother.|
|First, Andrew got Simon/Peter||41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah " (which translated means Christ).|
|Andrew brings Simon to Jesus||42 He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, "You are Simon the son of John; you shall be called Cephas " (which is translated Peter ).|
|Jesus by sea of Galilee, sees Andrew||18 Now as Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon who was called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen.|
|Jesus says to Andrew and Simon, "Follow Me . . . "||19 And He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." |
4:20 Immediately they left their nets and followed Him.
This article is also available in: Indonesia
- Apologetics Dialogues
- CARM Radio
- Cut and Paste Information
- Discussion Boards
- Email and Responses
- Evidence and Answers
- Lost Books
- Objections and Answers
- Online Schools
- Preachers and Teachers
- Recommended Websites
- Research Links
- Responding to Critics
- Verses Examined - OT
- Verses Examined - NT
- Women in Ministry
- Women's Issues
- About Angels
- About Apologetics
- About Baptism
- About the Bible
- About Bible Verses
- About the Church
- About Christianity
- About Demons
- About Doctrine
- About End Times
- About Ethics
- About Evangelism
- About God
- About Heresies
- About The Holy Spirit
- About Jesus
- About Man
- About Marriage
- About the Occult
- About Pastors
- About People
- About Prayer
- About Philosophy
- About Religions
- About Salvation
- About Sanctification
- About Science
- About Sexuality
- About Sin
- About Theology
- Other Questions
- Skeptics Ask
- Of the Crucifixion
- Of the Resurrection
- Of Jesus' Baptism and Temptation
- Of the cleansing of the Temple
- Matt. 1:16, Why are there different genealogies for Jesus in Matt. & Luke?
- Matt. 5:16, Should or should we not let our good works be seen?
- Matt. 10:2-4, Why are the lists of disciples different?
- Matt. 19:16-21, Are we saved by grace or works?
- Matt. 20:20-21, Who made the request to sit beside Jesus in His kingdom?
- Matt. 23:17, Can we call someone a fool or not?
- Matt. 28:8, Did or did not the women tell what happened about the tomb?
- Mark 1:7-13, What did Jesus do after being baptized by John the Baptist?
- Mark 3:29, Can you be forgiven of all sins or not?
- Mark 10:35-37, Who made the request to sit beside Jesus in His kingdom?
- Mark 16:2, How long was Jesus dead in the tomb?
- Mark 16:9-20, Is the ending of Mark scripture or not?
Help CARM by Liking It!
15% Discount off of Logos Bible Program.
CARM highly recommends using the Logos Bible Research Program. It is what we use. It is the best in the world. Just go to http://www.logos.com/carm. Use the coupon code of CARM6.