Chronology of early Islam
Notice how closely Islam's inception is associated with war. From 623 to 777, a span of 154 years, there are 83 military conflicts involving the Muslims...and that is just what I have recorded here. Is Islam a religion of peace? Muslims tell me it is. But....
- 570 - Birth of Muhammad in Mecca into the tribe of Quraish.
- 577 - Muhammad's mother dies.
- 580 - Death of Abdul Muttalib, Muhammad's grandfather.
- 583 - First journey to Syria with a trading Caravan.
- 595 - Muhammad marries Khadijah a rich widow several years older than him.
- 595 - Second journey to Syra.
- 598 - His son, Qasim, is born.
- 600 - His daughter, Zainab, is born.
- 603 - His daughter, Um-e-Kalthum, is born.
- 604 - His daughter, Ruqayya, is born.
- 605 - Placement of Black Stone in Ka'aba.
- 605 - His daughter, Fatima, is born.
- 610 - Mohammed, in a cave on Mt. Hira, hears the angel Gabriel tell him that
Allah is the only true God.
- 613 - Muhammad's first public preaching of Islam at Mt. Hira; gets few converts.
- 615 - Muslims persecuted by the Quraish.
- 619 - Marries Sau'da and Aisha.
- 620 - Institution of five daily prayers.
- 622 - Muhammad immigrates from Mecca to Medina, which was then called Yathrib, gets
- 623 - Battle of Waddan.
- 623 - Battle of Safwan.
- 623 - Battle of Dul-'Ashir.
- 624 - Muhammad and converts begin raids on caravans to fund the movement.
- 624 - Zakat becomes mandatory.
- 624 - Battle of Badr.
- 624 - Battle of Bani Salim.
- 624 - Battle of Eid-ul-Fitr and Zakat-ul-Fitr.
- 624 - Battle of Bani Qainuqa'.
- 624 - Battle of Sawiq.
- 624 - Battle of Ghatfan.
- 624 - Battle of Bahran.
- 625 - Battle of Uhud; 70 Muslims are killed.
- 625 - Battle of Humra-ul-Asad.
- 625 - Battle of Banu Nudair.
- 625 - Battle of Dhatur-Riqa.
- 626 - Battle of Badru-Ukhra.
- 626 - Battle of Dumatul-Jandal.
- 626 - Battle of Banu Mustalaq Nikah.
- 627 - Battle of the Trench.
- 627 - Battle of Ahzab.
- 627 - Battle of Bani Quraiza.
- 627 - Battle of Bani Lahyan.
- 627 - Battle of Ghaiba.
- 627 - Battle of Khaibar.
- 628 - Muhammad signs treaty with Quraish.
- 630 - Muhammad conquers Mecca.
- 630 - Battle of Hunsin.
- 630 - Battle of Tabuk.
- 632 - Muhammad dies.
- 632 - Abu-Bakr, Muhammad's father-in-law, along with Umar, begin a military move to
enforce Islam in Arabia.
- 633 - Battle at Oman.
- 633 - Battle at Hadramaut.
- 633 - Battle of Kazima.
- 633 - Battle of Walaja.
- 633 - Battle of Ulleis.
- 633 - Battle of Anbar.
- 634 - Battle of Basra.
- 634 - Battle of Damascus.
- 634 - Battle of Ajnadin.
- 634 - Death of Hadrat Abu Bakr. Hadrat Umar Farooq becomes the Caliph.
- 634 - Battle of Namaraq.
- 634 - Battle of Saqatia.
- 635 - Battle of Bridge.
- 635 - Battle of Buwaib.
- 635 - Conquest of Damascus.
- 635 - Battle of Fahl.
- 636 - Battle of Yermuk.
- 636 - Battle of Qadsiyia.
- 636 - Conquest of Madain.
- 637 - Battle of Jalula.
- 638 - Battle of Yarmouk.
- 638 - The Muslims defeat the Romans and enter Jerusalem.
- 638 - Conquest of Jazirah.
- 639 - Conquest of Khuizistan and movement into Egypt.
- 641 - Battle of Nihawand.
- 642 - Battle of Rayy in Persia.
- 643 - Conquest of Azarbaijan.
- 644 - Conquest of Fars.
- 644 - Conquest of Kharan.
- 644 - Umar is murdered. Othman becomes the Caliph.
- 647 - Conquest of the island of Cypress.
- 644 - Uman dies and is succeeded by Caliph Uthman.
- 648 - Campaign against the Byzantines.
- 651 - Naval battle against the Byzantines.
- 654 - Islam spreads into North Africa.
- 656 - Uthman is murdered. Ali become Caliph.
- 658 - Battle of Nahrawan.
- 659 - Conquest of Egypt.
- 661 - Ali is murdered.
- 662 - Egypt falls to Islam rule.
- 666 - Sicily is attacked by Muslims.
- 677 - Siege of Constantinople.
- 687 - Battle of Kufa.
- 691 - Battle of Deir ul Jaliq.
- 700 - Sufism takes root as a sect of Islam.
- 700 - Military campaigns in North Africa.
- 702 - Battle of Deir ul Jamira.
- 711 - Muslims invade Gibraltar.
- 711 - Conquest of Spain.
- 713 - Conquest of Multan.
- 716 - Invasion of Constantinople.
- 732 - Battle of Tours in France.
- 740 - Battle of the Nobles.
- 741 - Battle of Bagdoura in North Africa.
- 744 - Battle of Ain al Jurr.
- 746 - Battle of Rupar Thutha.
- 748 - Battle of Rayy.
- 749 - Battle of lsfahan.
- 749 - Battle of Nihawand.
- 750 - Battle of Zab.
- 772 - Battle of Janbi in North Africa.
- 777 - Battle of Saragossa in Spain.
- Miller, William M., A Christian's Response to Islam, Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing, Phillipsburg, New Jersey, 1976.
- Geisler, Norman, Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics, Grand Rapids, Michigan, Baker Books, 1999.
- Glasse, Cyril, The Concise Encyclopedia of Islam, Harper & Row, Publishers, Inc. San Francisco, 1989.
- Morey, Robert, The Islamic Invasion, Harvest House Publishers, Eugene Oregon, 1992.
This article is also available in: Español
- Apologetics Dialogues
- CARM Radio
- Cut and Paste Information
- Discussion Boards
- Email and Responses
- Evidence and Answers
- Lost Books
- Objections and Answers
- Online Schools
- Preachers and Teachers
- Recommended Websites
- Research Links
- Responding to Critics
- Verses Examined - OT
- Verses Examined - NT
- Women in Ministry
- Women's Issues
- About Angels
- About Apologetics
- About Baptism
- About the Bible
- About Bible Verses
- About the Church
- About Christianity
- About Demons
- About Doctrine
- About End Times
- About Ethics
- About Evangelism
- About God
- About Heresies
- About The Holy Spirit
- About Jesus
- About Man
- About Marriage
- About the Occult
- About Pastors
- About People
- About Prayer
- About Philosophy
- About Religions
- About Salvation
- About Sanctification
- About Science
- About Sexuality
- About Sin
- About Theology
- Other Questions
- Skeptics Ask
- What are the doctrines of Islam?
- The Five Pillars of Islam
- The Qur'an
- Methods Muslims use to attack Christianity.
- Does Islam teach salvation by works?
- Questions for Muslims
- Who has performed the greatest act of love, Yahweh or Allah?
- Jihad: holy struggle or holy war?
- How holy is the God of Islam?
- How just is the God of Islam?
Help CARM by Liking It!
Discount off of Logos Bible Program.
CARM highly recommends using the Logos Bible Research Program. It is what we use. It is the best in the world. Just go to http://www.logos.com/carm. Use the coupon code of CARM6.