If all Mormons are Christians, then all Christians are Mormon
Mormonism teaches that there are many many gods, but that Mormons should serve and worship only one of them--the one of this world. It teaches that forgiveness of sins is not by grace alone. It denies the Trinity doctrine which says there is one God in three persons and instead says that there are three separate gods. It does not proclaim that Jesus is God, but that Jesus is "a" god . . . etc. Additionally, Mormons have secret temple rituals even though the rituals have been done away with with the destruction of the Temple of Jerusalem.
So, Mormons deny these basic Christian doctrines, yet they want to be called Christian because they say they believe in the same Jesus of the Bible, among other things. But when they speak of Jesus, they mean that Jesus is the brother of Satan and you and me. They teach that we have all been born from god and his goddess wife who both have physical bodies of flesh and bones.
None of this is in the Bible, and none of this is believed by true Christians. But that has not stopped the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from wanting to be called Christian.
So, since the Mormons deny basic Christian doctrine and claim to be Christian, then I can deny basic Mormon doctrine and be a Mormon. For example, I deny the following Mormon doctrines.
- I deny that there are many many gods (Mormon Doctrine, by Bruce McConkie, p. 163).
- I deny that the trinity is three separate gods (Teachings of Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 370).
- I deny that god is a man from another planet (Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 3).
- I deny that there is a goddess mother (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 443).
- I deny that god is married to his goddess wife (Mormon Doctrine, p. 516.).
- I deny that god and his goddess wife have bodies of flesh and bones (Doctrine and Covenants, 130:22; Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 3.)
- I deny that we were all born in the pre-existence (Journal of Discourses, vol. 4, p. 218; Articles of Faith, p. 174).
- I deny that Satan is my spirit brother (Mormon Doctrine, p. 163).
- I deny that I need a temple (Articles of Faith, p. 138).
- I deny that I have the potential of becoming a god (Articles of Faith, p. 424).
- I deny that the book of Mormon is more correct than the Bible (History of the Church, vol. 4, p. 461).
- I deny that good works are necessary for salvation (Articles of Faith, p. 81, 92).
- I deny that my own blood must atone for any of my sins (Journal of Discourses, vol. 3, p. 247; see also, vol. 4, p. 53-54, 219-220).
Therefore, since the Mormons deny basic Christian doctrines and call themselves Christian, is it okay for me to deny basic Mormon doctrines and call myself a Mormon?
This article is also available in: Español
- Apologetics Dialogues
- CARM Radio
- Cut and Paste Information
- Discussion Boards
- Email and Responses
- Evidence and Answers
- Lost Books
- Objections and Answers
- Online Schools
- Preachers and Teachers
- Recommended Websites
- Research Links
- Responding to Critics
- Verses Examined - OT
- Verses Examined - NT
- Women in Ministry
- Women's Issues
- About Angels
- About Apologetics
- About Baptism
- About the Bible
- About Bible Verses
- About the Church
- About Christianity
- About Demons
- About Doctrine
- About End Times
- About Ethics
- About Evangelism
- About God
- About Heresies
- About The Holy Spirit
- About Jesus
- About Man
- About Marriage
- About the Occult
- About Pastors
- About People
- About Prayer
- About Philosophy
- About Religions
- About Salvation
- About Sanctification
- About Science
- About Sexuality
- About Sin
- About Theology
- Other Questions
- Skeptics Ask
- What does Mormonism Teach?
- Some of the Many Changes in the Book of Mormon
- Problems with the Book of Mormon
- The gospel according to Mormonism
- Does Mormonism Attack Other Religions? Yes.
- Definitions of Mormon words. They don't mean the same thing.
- False prophecies of Joseph Smith
- Interesting Quotes from Mormonism's founder, Joseph Smith
Help CARM by Liking It!
15% Discount off of Logos Bible Program.
CARM highly recommends using the Logos Bible Research Program. It is what we use. It is the best in the world. Just go to http://www.logos.com/carm. Use the coupon code of CARM6.