A Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
A litany is a prayer. This following litany was approved by Pope Sixtus V in 1587. Notice the numerous terms used to describe Mary. For the purpose of identification and discussion, we have numbered the statements;
Please take special note of the ones emboldened:
- Lord, have mercy on us.
- Christ have mercy on us.
- Lord, have mercy on us.
- Christ, hear us.
- Christ, graciously hear us.
- God the Father of Heaven, Have mercy on us.
- God the Son, Redeemer of the world, Have mercy on us.
- God the Holy Ghost, Have mercy on us.
- Holy Trinity, one God, Have mercy on us.
- Holy Mary, pray for us.
- Holy Mother of God, pray for us.
- Holy Virgin of virgins, pray for us.
- Mother of Christ, pray for us.
- Mother of divine grace, pray for us.
- Mother most pure, pray for us.
- Mother most chaste, pray for us.
- Mother inviolate, pray for us.
- Mother undefiled, pray for us.
- Mother most amiable, pray for us.
- Mother most admirable, pray for us.
- Mother of good counsel, pray for us.
- Mother of our Creator, pray for us.
- Mother of our Savior, pray for us.
- Virgin most prudent, pray for us.
- Virgin most venerable, pray for us.
- Virgin most renowned, pray for us.
- Virgin most powerful, pray for us.
- Virgin most merciful, pray for us.
- Virgin most faithful, pray for us.
- Mirror of justice, pray for us.
- Seat of wisdom, pray for us.
- Cause of our joy, pray for us.
- Spiritual vessel, pray for us.
- Vessel of honor, pray for us.
- Singular vessel of devotion, pray for us.
- Mystical rose, pray for us.
- Tower of David, pray for us.
- Tower of ivory, pray for us.
- House of gold, pray for us.
- Ark of the Covenant, pray for us.
- Gate of Heaven, pray for us.
- Morning star, pray for us.
- Health of the sick, pray for us.
- Refuge of sinners, pray for us.
- Comforter of the afflicted, pray for us.
- Help of Christians, pray for us.
- Queen of angels, pray for us.
- Queen of patriarchs, pray for us.
- Queen of prophets, pray for us.
- Queen of apostles, pray for us.
- Queen of martyrs, pray for us.
- Queen of confessors, pray for us.
- Queen of virgins, pray for us.
- Queen of all saints, pray for us.
- Queen conceived without Original Sin, pray for us.
- Queen assumed into Heaven, pray for us.
- Queen of the most holy Rosary, pray for us.
- Queen of peace, pray for us.
- Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world, Spare us, O Lord.
- Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world, Graciously hear us, O Lord.
- Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world, Have mercy on us.
- Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
- Grant, we beseech Thee, O Lord God, that we Thy Servants may enjoy perpetual health of mind and body and by the glorious intercession of the Blessed Mary, ever Virgin, be delivered from present sorrow and enter into the joy of eternal happiness. Through Christ Our Lord. Amen.
- Approved by Pope Sixtus V in 1587
Notice that Mary is called the "most merciful," "mirror of Justice," "seat of wisdom," "cause of our joy," the "Morningstar," a "refuge for sinners," etc. These are titles that belong to Christ. The Roman Catholic Church has elevated Mary to a place she does not deserve. Though she is greatly blessed among women for carrying the Messiah, she is not "the seat of wisdom;" nor is she the "refuge of sinners" or the "Queen of the prophets," the "Queen of the apostles" or the "Comforter of the afflicted." Jesus is the King, the Lord; and he sent the comforter, the Holy Spirit, that we might have the presence of God dwelling within us.
- "You shall have no other gods before Me." (Exodus 20:3).
- "And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might." Deut. 6:5).
- "I am the Lord, that is My name; I will not give My glory to another," (Isaiah 42:8).
- "For My own sake, for My own sake, I will act; for how can My name be profaned? And My glory I will not give to another." (Isaiah 48:11).
This article is also available in: Español
- Apologetics Dialogues
- CARM Radio
- Cut and Paste Information
- Discussion Boards
- Email and Responses
- Evidence and Answers
- Lost Books
- Objections and Answers
- Online Schools
- Preachers and Teachers
- Recommended Websites
- Research Links
- Responding to Critics
- Verses Examined - OT
- Verses Examined - NT
- Women in Ministry
- Women's Issues
- About Angels
- About Apologetics
- About Baptism
- About the Bible
- About Bible Verses
- About the Church
- About Christianity
- About Demons
- About Doctrine
- About End Times
- About Ethics
- About Evangelism
- About God
- About Heresies
- About The Holy Spirit
- About Jesus
- About Man
- About Marriage
- About the Occult
- About Pastors
- About People
- About Prayer
- About Philosophy
- About Religions
- About Salvation
- About Sanctification
- About Science
- About Sexuality
- About Sin
- About Theology
- Other Questions
- Skeptics Ask
- Why is it Necessary to Write about Roman Catholicism?
- The Apocrypha: Is it scripture?
- Mary as the subject of preaching and worship
- The Mass and the sacrifice of Christ
- Is Peter the rock on which the Church is built?
- Are we saved by faith alone, or do we need works, too?
- Is the Catholic Catechism's view on the Muslim god wrong?
Help CARM by Liking It!
15% Discount off of Logos Bible Program.
CARM highly recommends using the Logos Bible Research Program. It is what we use. It is the best in the world. Just go to http://www.logos.com/carm. Use the coupon code of CARM6.