Miscellaneous Information About The Bible
It has been reported for about 50 years that the Bible has been the largest seller of all books published in the history of the world.
The Bible was written by about 40 men in about 1600 years, dating from 1500 B.C. to about 100 A.D. These men wrote as they were moved by the Holy Spirit (2 Pet. 1:21). They wrote not in words of human wisdom but in words taught by the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 2:13).
- The first translation of the English Bible was initiated by John Wycliffe and completed by John Purvey in A.D. 1388.
- The first American edition of the Bible was perhaps published some time before A.D. 1752.
- The Bible has been translated in part or in whole as of 1964 in over 1,200 different languages or dialects.
- The Bible was divided into chapters by Stephen Langton about A.D. 1228.
- The Old Testament was divided into verses by R. Nathan in A.D. 1448 and the New Testament by Robert Stephanus in A.D. 1551.
- There are 66 books in the Bible, 39 in the OT and 27 in the New. (Note: 3 x 9 = 27).
- The OT has 929 chapters and 23,214 verses. The NT has 260 chapters and 7,959 verses.
- In the OT, the longest book is Psalms. The shortest book is Obadiah.
- In the NT, the longest book is Acts. The shortest is 3 John.
- The word "God" occurs 4,379 times. The word "Lord" occurs 7,738 times.
- Isaiah is referenced 419 times in 23 NT books; Psalms 414 times in 23 books; Genesis 260 times in 21 books.
Unusual things in the Bible
- Methuselah, who lived to be 969 years old (Gen. 5:27).
- Sons of God married the daughters of men (Gen. 6:2).
- Baby had a scarlet thread tied around its hand before it was born (Gen. 38:28-29).
- Battle won because a man stretched out his hand (Exodus 17:11).
- Man was spoken to by a donkey (Num. 22:28-30).
- One who had a bed 13 feet long and 6 feet wide (Deut. 3:11).
- The women who had to shave their heads before they could marry (Deut. 21:11-13).
- Sun stood still for a whole day (Josh. 10:13).
- An army with 700 left-handed men (Judges 20:16).
- Man whose hair weighed about 6 pounds when it was cut annually (2 Sam. 14:26).
- Man who had 12 fingers and 12 toes (2 Sam. 21:20).
- Father who had eighty-eight children (2 Chron. 11:21).
- The sun traveled backward (Isaiah 38:8).
- A harlot was an ancestor of Christ (Matt. 1:5).
- Apologetics Dialogues
- CARM Radio
- Cut and Paste Information
- Discussion Boards
- Email and Responses
- Evidence and Answers
- Lost Books
- Objections and Answers
- Online Schools
- Preachers and Teachers
- Recommended Websites
- Research Links
- Responding to Critics
- Verses Examined - OT
- Verses Examined - NT
- Women in Ministry
- Women's Issues
- About Angels
- About Apologetics
- About Baptism
- About the Bible
- About Bible Verses
- About the Church
- About Christianity
- About Demons
- About Doctrine
- About End Times
- About Ethics
- About Evangelism
- About God
- About Heresies
- About The Holy Spirit
- About Jesus
- About Man
- About Marriage
- About the Occult
- About Pastors
- About People
- About Prayer
- About Philosophy
- About Religions
- About Salvation
- About Sanctification
- About Science
- About Sexuality
- About Sin
- About Theology
- Other Questions
- Skeptics Ask
- Misc. Info about the Bible
- Dictionary of terms
- How to Interpret the Bible
- Is the Bible inspired?
- Bible Chronology of the Old Testament
- Bible Chronology of the New Testament
- Books of the Old Testament
- Books of the New Testament
- What is the Canon of Scripture?
- Other books mentioned in the Bible
- When was the Bible written and who wrote it?
- When was the book of Acts written?
- When were the gospels written and by whom?
- The Greek and Hebrew Alphabet with numeric equivalents
Help CARM by Liking It!
15% Discount off of Logos Bible Program.
CARM highly recommends using the Logos Bible Research Program. It is what we use. It is the best in the world. Just go to http://www.logos.com/carm. Use the coupon code of CARM6.