- 1 kg uncooked shrimp (shelled and de-veined)
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped spring onions
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups chopped peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- Prepare your shrimp
- Heat 1/2 cup of olive oil and fry onions until transparent.
- Add spring onion, garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes, wine, most of the parsley, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes until thick.
- Spoon half of the tomato sauce into 6 individual oven dishes or 1 large oven dish.
- Add shrimp and spoon remaining sauce. Coarsely crumble feta cheese and sprinkle on top
- Cook in a very hot oven for 10-12 minutes until shrimp are pink and feta melted and lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve immediately as first course with crusty bread.
Comments: I change most recipes. No wine in our house so I add 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. And I always use extra shrimp. Lots of shrimp! In fact, I made this tonight and had a good 2 kilos in there. I also add extra feta cheese and even if you’re not a feta cheese person (which I'm not), the sweet taste just makes the dish.
Note: This doesn't reheat too well; it still tastes good but the feta cheese melts too much. Good thing I never have leftovers when I make this dish, because it’s better when it’s freshly made and served immediately. It is an easy, quick meal when you have company, especially large numbers of people.
I also prefer rice rather than the bread, but my husband prefers pita bread. Any good flat bread will do the trick. Basmati rice is the best rice to use.
And a note on the feta cheese: It is worth going for the better kind. We get a good French feta that is much, much better than the cheaper stuff.
Submitted by: Nzingha
- Don’t crumb it, but pan fry it in a light-flavored olive oil for a minute or two on each side just to color. Remove it to a plate and add some alcoholic apple cider (not soft drink/soda) or a dry white wine to the pan and reduce the volume to half, add pepper and as much garlic as you like.
- Return the sole to the pan at low heat and cook until done.
- Add cream just before serving.
- Add some shelled cooked prawns before serving
- Both of the above
Submitted by: Bandecoot
- 2 pounds calamari tubes and tentacles, cleaned
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Cut tubes of calamari into 1-inch rings and cut the tentacles in half.
- In a large pot, bring water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil.
- Carefully place the calamari in the pot.
- Cook the calamari until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Be sure not to overcook.
- Strain the calamari and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add all of the ingredients and mix well. A
- dd salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve the calamari cold.
Submitted by: Spiderman
- 1 marron or lobster (1½ pounds)
- 2 tbs butter or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, minced (very fine dice)
- 2-inch piece of ginger, minced
- 3 teaspoons cilantro seeds, crushed fine
- 2 cups of chicken stock (stock cubes are okay, with 2 cups water)
- A handful of blanched almonds (12 or so)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 -1 cup of chopped cilantro leaves
- Get the meat out of the tail legs and claws of the crayfish (lobster)
- Put the head, shells, and cracked claws into the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain and reduce the stock to about a cup.
- Cut the crayfish meat into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat the butter.
- Add the sliced onion and brown it.
- Add the minced onion, ginger, and coriander seeds.
- Add the stock.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the garum masala and crushed almonds and stir in the sour cream.
- When blended, add the crayfish meat and warm it through.
Comments: Serve on a plate alone -- no rice. Sprinkle with the cilantro leaves. Serve rice separately.
Submitted by: Bandecoot
- 1 pound flat egg noodles
- 1 can of tuna
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- Cheddar or Colby cheese
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F
- Boil your noodles. (Be sure to keep an eye on the noodles to make sure the pot doesn't boil over.) While your noodles are boiling, open the tuna and soup.
- Pour soup and tuna into a very large glass or stoneware (= oven safe) bowl.
- Mix with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the noodles are tender (12-15 minutes at boil) drain into a colander.
- Pour the drained noodles into the large bowl with soup and tuna.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Grate about 4-6 ounces of cheese into the mixture, and mix thoroughly. Grate some more cheese on top.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Crushed potato crisps on top are optional, but do add texture as well as a “zip” to this traditional family favorite.
Comments: Chopped up kosher pickles are nice in this, I am told.
Submitted by: Unfusilier
- Apologetics Dialogues
- CARM Radio
- Cut and Paste Information
- Discussion Boards
- Email and Responses
- Evidence and Answers
- Lost Books
- Objections and Answers
- Online Schools
- Preachers and Teachers
- Recommended Websites
- Research Links
- Responding to Critics
- Verses Examined - OT
- Verses Examined - NT
- Women in Ministry
- Women's Issues
- About Angels
- About Apologetics
- About Baptism
- About the Bible
- About Bible Verses
- About the Church
- About Christianity
- About Demons
- About Doctrine
- About End Times
- About Ethics
- About Evangelism
- About God
- About Heresies
- About The Holy Spirit
- About Jesus
- About Man
- About Marriage
- About the Occult
- About Pastors
- About People
- About Prayer
- About Philosophy
- About Religions
- About Salvation
- About Sanctification
- About Science
- About Sexuality
- About Sin
- About Theology
- Other Questions
- Skeptics Ask
Help CARM by Liking It!
15% Discount off of Logos Bible Program.
CARM highly recommends using the Logos Bible Research Program. It is what we use. It is the best in the world. Just go to http://www.logos.com/carm. Use the coupon code of CARM6.