Welcome to the April 12, 2007 Newsletter
the radio show is doing well except one problem. Donations that are used to support it are decreasing. If you enjoy the radio show, would you please consider supporting it, since without it, the show will end. http://www.carm.org/radio/radio.htm.
33rd Annual Atheist Convention
This past weekend to friends of mine and myself, attended the 33rd annual atheist convention in Seattle, Washington. I have written a specific article about my impressions. It is located here. Basically, I wasn't impressed with the content or the behavior of the lectures and atheists. I was a little disappointed. If you read the article, you will see more details and you can read several quotes from atheists that I think are very revealing.
Gerardo, a Christian friend of mine, used his video camera to record several other dialogs I had with atheists. He is planning to release them on youtube.com pretty soon. When he does, I'll put a link to them in the next newsletter.
Finally, it is because of your support and I was able to go to Seattle. Thank you.
Tomorrow, April 13, a group of "gay Christians" will be in Boise, ID. They are going to be at Northwest Nazarene University. Apparently, they are trying to promote Christian homosexuality as well as attempt to influence the university to accept homosexuality as a viable option. I hope to get one of their representatives on my radio show. I'll let you know how that goes.
CARM is in the process of becoming financially transparent. In a couple of weeks, a bookkeeper will come to my office and we are going to go over all the financial records for the past several years. We are also going to have CARM audited and a public release of salary, expenses, etc. for the ministry will be written and released on CARM. We want CARM to be responsible and appropriate in its use of the funds that people are giving this Ministry.
Please Support CARM
I am always hesitant to remind people that we survive financially via the gracious donations of CARM supporters. If you have not already, would you please consider a monthly donation of five dollars? You can easily set it up at http://www.carm.org/goods/donations.htm
Video Camera and Software
As I have said before, CARM is in need of a good video camera (with an external audio jack) and video editing software. We want to start doing video presentations. So, if you have input on a good camera, want to contribute to either hardware or software, please let us know. [email protected]
After several years of use, my PDA died. I'm in the market for another one and am looking for recommendations. I have about $250-$300 to spend. Preferably, a Windows OS-based system for CARM use. And, I'm looking for a Palm-based PDA in addition, so that I can use it to test CARM release on PDA as well as the MS OS pda. I'm open for suggestions for both. Thanks
Love and Hate Mail
CARM is constantly getting e-mails of thanks and praise and condemnation. Here are a few...in the raw. (At the suggestion of a reader, the hate mail is first so that the last taste in your mouth, is the love mail).
- Hate mail:
- I'm not surprised that you are still in a state of denial... Matt, that is exactly how Kenneth Copeland and Benny Hinn abuse the Scriptures to make the exact same claim [regarding authority] No, Matt, it is you who has some serious spiritual problems, which lead you to make all kinds of false statements, misquote, misrepresent and mischaracterize others unjustly. You need to repent, now.
- The entire website is incorrect and should be taken off the internet
- When anti-Mormons tell dirty slanderous LIES about our most sacred beliefs why would anyone listen to their message? It's a sad commentary whenever our non-Mormon friends can recognize your anti-Mormon deception. The Apostle John says, "No lie is of the truth." Does this also include slanderous anti-Mormons that tell dirty filthy lies? Those who oppose our beliefs will even profess Christianity, but they act like the devil -- You do the math! There is no such thing as "truth in love" when you tell slanderous anti-Mormon stories. You should be ashamed to call yourself a Christian, or to be associated with such bigoted evil people. Mormonism or not, Jesus would never approve any anti-Mormon lie. You need to Repent!
- You have delusional thinking.
- My name is Will, I am messaging you for one reason. My reason is that you are a complete idiot.
- Love mail:
- I really enjoy listening to your radio show, discussion forums, and your website. I just became a Christian myself about 7 months ago. And since then I have been praying that God would reveal my spiritual gifts. He led me to your site and I have since been interested in apologetics and think it is vital for every Christian to be able to give a defense of the hope within them. I just recently signed up for all three of your schools and became a CARM super member. I'm also going to ask my wife and talk to her about setting up a monthly donation for the radio program as well. I am thoroughly blessed by God through your ministry. I have cited your site and used your materials constantly when talking to JWs. The Lord has given me courage through the use of your site to begin witnessing to a JW that I work with. And it even helped me witness to my wife who just accepted Christ as her Savior 4 days ago. Praise God!
- I love the layout of the new website - it's been a while since I visited and I just wanted to say it is looking very professional!
- I'm really blessed with your carm web-site... God bless you....you are doing a great & good work...I'm from Germany keep sending me carm e-mails i really love apologetic specially concerning Jesus' tomb fine arguments defending the truth of Christ & His fact resurrection.
Same as Last Newsletter
- Podcast Link - If you are interested in listening to the radio podcasts of faith and reason, there are several options. One is to go to the CARM home page and click on the radio link, or go to www.carm.org/radio/radio.htm, or click on this link http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/emailverifySubmit?feedId=432798 and enter your e-mail address. Its free and you'll be notified every time the podcast page is updated.
- Feedback and Suggestions - I would love to have feedback and suggestions from the CARM readers about the website, the radio show, and this newsletter. Please feel free to let me know what you would like covered and/or addressed. [email protected]
- Please Support CARM - CARM is supported by the voluntary gifts and offerings of people like you. I have revamped the donations system and hope that this new year will bring in more support so that we can hire an additional staff person. Even $5 a month can make a big difference. CARM is on the front lines and we need all the help we can get. Please pray for us. We need it.
- Discussion Boards - The CARM Discussion Forums are doing extremely well. In less than a year we have over 13,700 people signed up as participants. We even have a donation option for people to support the Ministry and have extended posting privelaes. If you are interested in learning how to defend your faith as well as finding out what others believe about vendors, than the CARM discussion forums are the place to be.
- Chat Room http://www.carm.org/boards/chat.htm. Want a live discussion?
- Thanks Again - Thanks to all of you who have been signing up for the online schools and donations to CARM. They have been a real encouragement to this Ministry as they have increased lately.
- Prayer Ministry - CARM does have a prayer Ministry. If you are interested in joining us as we pray for others' needs, or if you have needs that you need prayer for, please go to http://www.carm.org/prayer.htm and sign up.
- Online Schools. Theology, Apologetics, and Critical Thinking. You can support CARM and also learn.
- Live Radio Show! - The show is called "Faith and Reason with Matt Slick." I am on for one hour, five days a week, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Mountain Time). It's a live call-in show where people can ask all kinds of questions dealing with Christianity, the Bible, cults, counseling, the occult, etc. You can call in to the number is 208-377-3790 and/or listen live via the Internet at www.myfamilyradio.com on the AM station. P odcasting CARM now has podcasting ability for past radio shows: http://feeds.feedburner.com/carmorgpodcasting.
Do you have any suggestions for the CARM newsletter or the CARM website? If so, please contact us at [email protected] We want to know what you think, areas of need that you would like to see addressed, as well as any comments you might have.