Welcome to the April 15, 2006 Newsletter
School of Critical Thinking
Yesterday I released the CARM School of Critical Thinking. Like the School of Theology and the School of Apologetics, this school is self-paced. All you need to do is go through the lessons at your leisure. (There is a large discount for signing up for all three schools.) The foundation of our faith is laid out in the School of Theology, general pointers for entering the cults and false thought systems is in the School of Apologetics, and the School Critical Thinking attempts to help the student think more clearly, recognize logic errors, and become better able to have rational discourses with unbelievers so you can better point them to Jesus.
I've gone through a lot of material that tries to teach critical thinking and to be honest, most of it is so conceptually difficult that I could see no practical value in them. Therefore, since I could see that Christians needed to learn how to think more clearly, and since they also needed to do that in a practical manner, I started working the school six months ago and finished it two days ago. It is not conceptually difficult, though there are a couple of places where you have to put on your thinking cap. But overall, it is a flesh and blood approach using Christian concepts with real life examples taken from the CARM discussion boards, e-mails, and debates that I've had. The goal is to equip you with what you need to help you think more clearly and logically so that you might be better able to defend the Christian faith. It is fun. To God be the glory.
By signing up you are helping to support this Ministry in a very needed area. Plus, you're getting something valuable in return. Please check out http://www.carm.org/online.htm.
The AM radio show is still going well. I them lining up more and more guests and getting good feedback from people who say it is interesting and informative. Praise God. If you want to check out the schedule and find out how to listen to it over the Internet, go to http://www.carm.org/radio/radio.htm and you will find what you need to know there.
Also, whatever comes in via radio support, I will give to the station. That is how we're going to support the show financially. We would greatly appreciate your donations.
As I said in the last e-mail, I would love to expand the show into other radio markets. If you have any information that might be helpful regarding a market in your area, please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org. And, thanks to the people who e-mailed me with recommendations for other radio stations to look into. I am still looking for more opportunities, so if you know of a potential radio station that might be interested in my kind of show, please let me know.
The CARM web site is continuing to increase its rate of weekly visitors. For the first time ever, last week CARM received more than 35,000 visits on the homepage. Thank you Lord.
The new discussion boards are still doing very well with about 40 signups a day. They are located at http://www.christiandiscussionforums.org/v/index.php, and they have a LOT of new features that are really great. If you like to interact with those who oppose God's truth, and want to sharpen your witnessing skills, then this is a place for you.
What are they saying about CARM?
CARM is constantly getting e-mails of thanks and praise and condemnation. Here are a few e-mails...in the raw.
- Love mail:
- I would like to tell you guys your site is great one of the best Christian site I have seen and I have seen a lot. All that is on your site is great and there is a lot of information and every single thing I read I do agree with, it is great and thank you for all your work. Eric
- I praise the Lord everyday for leading me to your site. As I attend my third term at an art school (one with much demonic activity,) I find that I am using information everyday from the things I have learned to witness to those around me. I see God working in the lives of my fellow classmates not only with his love and holy spirit, but by the knowledge you have given me! Bless you! I pray for your service to flourish and rock the lives of many hungry people! I cannot thank you enough. Alexa
- Just wanted to say thank you for your valuable web page. I am a pastor and use it frequently as a resource. A pastor
- I simply wanted to express my appreciation for your website. I came across it recently and found it to be most helpful and timely. It is a valuable tool on the internet, and I hope you plan to maintain its online presence. It was an encouragement to me in my own walk with Christ. Mark
- Hate mail:
- I have one question for you. Who in the heck do you think you are? No, I'm not a Mormon. I am a Christian. Christians do not take Gods job away from Him and pass judgment on others as you have done on your web site. You have no idea what being a Christian means. Find God before it is to late.... There is no free pass or free ride as you people teach." Anonymous
- Stop worrying about your webpage and focus on your heresy. "Physician heal they self" God doesn't need an apologist - what makes you think He needs your defense? The "truth" or "half truth" you proclaim to others is based on YOUR interpretation and NOT necessarily Divine in nature, to deny that is human pride and arrogance. It is wise to remember that your thoughts are not God's nor is your mind God's mind. The Devil comes in many faces and works his plots through willing hands. Have you looked in the mirror lately and examined your conscience? Anonymous.
- Your website has shown me a thing or two. Firstly, and most importantly, biblical truth is determined not by God, but by those who interpret the bible, the reader. Therefore Roman Catholics are not Christians because the people who interpret the bible interpret it differently. Not that I give a toss. It just goes to show how pathetic you all are really, doesn't it. As for me, I would rather go to hell if I had a choice. I couldn't imagine having to spend eternity with you. Craig
- I just wanted you to know the Holy Spirit has revealed to me that Matt Slick knows he is not a Christian, doesn't care because he doesn't believe Jesus is God. Troy
- [Someone contacted me for a debate on the Trinity. I left a message at this person's church and then later received this from that same person after I let him know I left a message and hadn't yet been contacted in return.]
"Slick! did you leave a message, come on man if you truly have confidence in your pathetic and evil doctrine that you will leave a message in fact email us. But I figured Slick that you would coward your way out of defending your supposed true doctrine (which is a doctrine of deceit and lies) by saying that no one has answered. Slick! I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you know (within yourself) that the trinity doctrine is of hell and of Satan. Therefore, if your doctrine is true then come and challenge us and make us out to be liars. Just bring it."
[Then the next email he said]
"Fool! he will get back to you and make you out to be a liar and a child of Satan." Mark
I would like to make a comment here. A lot of you may not realize the kind of attack that I am under because of this Ministry. The last example of hate mail is not uncommon. Please remember to pray for me and my family.
What do you think of CARM? Why don't you let me know at email@example.com?
CARM has a Chat Room - The CARM chat room is a success and we have had as many as 20 people in it at a time who come from all over. So, if you are interested in chatting with me or others, then check it out. It's located here http://www.carm.org/boards/chat.htm.
Prayer Ministry - CARM does have a prayer Ministry. If you are interested in joining us as we pray for others' needs, or if you have needs that you need prayer for, please go to http://www.carm.org/prayer.htm and sign up.
Live Radio Show! - Live radio show that began on Monday, Jan. 2, 2006. The show is called "Faith and Reason with Matt Slick." I am on for one hour, five days a week, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Mountain Time). It's a live call-in show where people can ask all kinds of questions dealing with Christianity, the Bible, cults, etc. You can call in to the number is 208-377-3790. You can listen to old programs here: http://www.live365.com/stations/matt_slick) and live via the Internet connection at www.myfamilyradio.com on the AM station.
|Radio Show Times
Monday through Friday
Phone # is 208-377-3790
- Weekly Teaching Time on Paltalk - Every Thursday evening I host a live discussion room on paltalk.com. Paltalk is a free voice chat system that is quite good. Paltalk is full of Christians as well as non-Christians and the battles over truth are frequent. It is however, a good place to learn how to defend your faith. If any of you are interested and would like to check it out, please join us for our weekly discussion by going to paltalk, download the program, and join us on Thursday evenings.
| Paltalk.com | Section = Christianity | Room = CARM
$5 Support - CARM depends on your support. Please consider supporting CARM.
CARM is reaching thousands and thousands of people all over the world for Jesus Christ. There are very few ways that are more efficient and more effective in preventing the gospel message than the Internet. Your support can go a very long way in further in the kingdom of God. Please consider supporting CARM with $5 a month or whatever you feel led to contribute. It's easy to do and it does help a great deal. If interested, please sign up here.