CARM Newsletter 08-24-06
Welcome to the August 24, 2006 Newsletter
The trip to the Sacramento Mormon Temple went very well. Bill McKeever (www.mrm.org), Keith Walker (www.evidenceministries.org), myself and others gathered on a dusty, sun-baked street corner and passed out literature detailing what Mormonism actually teaches. We also held up signs that had a website on them, www.sacredorsecret.com. We got the occasional single finger welcome and an old lady even stuck her tongue out at me. We were told to go to hell and one person yelled out of his car as it passed by, "Don't you believe in freedom of religion?" I chuckled. In all, we passed out hundreds of pamphlets and thousands of people saw the website address. By God's grace, we were able to have an effect. There will be another temple opening here in Idaho next year. Lord willing, we will all be attending that one as well.
By the way, I want to mention some people who showed up at the Sacramento opening. There was Jonathan from Sacramento; Evan and Jose, from San Jose; and Cameron, Austin, and Thomas from Oceanside California. Thanks guys. It was great seeing you and we appreciate those of you who helped pass out literature.
Thank you to all of you who supported this effort and thank you Jane for sponsoring me in making it possible for me to go.
If you would like to see some pictures from the event, then go here.
Thanks to all of you who support CARM in various ways. Through your contributions, sign-ups with the CARM schools, the monthly donations, and prayer, this Ministry is able to provide for my full-time employment. However, I have been letting people know that due to past tax problems in the ministry, I have been looking for a job to supplement CARM income. Since I have gotten back from Sacramento, we are now reassessing this need. More on that later.
The Boise Weekly
The ads for the Boise weekly paper will begin next week. Someone has donated $350 towards the ad in the "new age" type paper. The ad promotes the Faith and Reason Radio Show and is aimed towards unbelievers. That will cover the cost for one month. Praise God and thanks.
Love and Hate Mail
CARM is constantly getting e-mails of thanks and praise and condemnation. Here are a few...in the raw.
- I recently (and FINALLY) finished my School of Theology. Course, it was amazing.........it's actually changed my life, actually having (almost anyway) the knowledge to put into words what it is I am entrusting my life to........is that a bad sentence? don't know, don't care, coupled with daily Bible reading along with my "daily" lesson from you, my life and relationship with my God has changed dramatically. I look forward to signing on again REAL soon (after my family vacation) for the Apologetics course! Hey, I've listened to some of your radio PodCasts, you are really amazing, I really enjoyed your honest "exchanges" with the Catholic Priest, and your friend who is the expert in Mormonisim, good stuff, I was encouraged, stimulated......good stuff, I thank God for your ministry. Keep up the outstanding work!
- I wish I had know your web page for a while..... It has so many good things that can help me out understanding about other belief like Roman Catholic, JW, and LDS. I will visit more often to gather more information. I am writing to see if there is a such material (article or book) that discusses difference between Roman Catholic Bible and ours. Maybe my first question should be is there a difference.
- Because of your website, my life has changed. You may not believe this, but I was considering being Wiccan. Now I see how wrong that is. Thank you so much. I also have learned a lot about the bible from your teachings. You don't understand how much this all means to me. Being a newborn Christian, I still have some unanswered questions, but I know that after a little reading of the bible things will be crystal clear. Thanks again. I hope that you will email me. but if I don't get a reply, I wont be too disappointed as I know how awfully busy you must be every day.
- So what is it you do for money? Scribe, Pharisee? What you do in reality is persecute Jesus for money. That is not going to take you very far in this life or the next. Consider your future. The time to repent is now. I hope you do. You can continue to fight against God for only so long and then you will find as you hurt others for a few lousy bucks that you will kindle gods wrath and you will be smitten and laid low Mr. smarty pants. It is only a matter of time. I hope you can turn it around. Satan depart and come out of this man and leave him in peace. Condemn not the things of god that you understand not. Look to god and live. Good luck my friend, I hope you can forgive my frankness. I hope you have a good life and great eternity.
- Shame on you for wanting to prevent people from investigating the LDS Church. Temples motivate people to live better lives. Why do you want to destroy that great goal? If you are gong to criticize LDS doctrine, you should criticize the "abominable creeds" of your church such as the one that says people who have done nothing but good works throughout their lives, who have never committed a crime, will go to Hell if they do not accept your interpretation of the Bible; whereas, a mass murderer who believes in Christ will go to Heaven. Another of your abominable creeds is that a person who spends his life serving God and his or her fellow men and fellow women will be no happier in the next life than a couch potato who believes in your creeds.
Same as Last Newsletter
Do you have any suggestions for the CARM newsletter or the CARM website? If so, please contact us at [email protected] We want to know what you think, areas of need that you would like to see addressed, as well as any comments you might have.
CARM Needs - same as last newsletter.
Letting our needs be known. We are definitely planning to expand, to move ahead in spite of our recent setbacks. The Lord provides where He guides.
The CARM printer fund is up to $325. We need a color laser printer for publishing evangelism tracks and brochures for the CARM Ministry. Again, if you have experience with color laser printers and have a good recommendation that is in the same price range, please let us know.
CARM has need of a laptop for the radio show and as a back up system in case the main CARM computer breaks. This will help us with speaking engagements as well. Dell puts out a great product. The XPS M1210 with the basic bells and whistles needed for a decent system would be around $1500.
After much discussion with two of the board members of CARM, we have concluded that in order for CARM to progress and to be able to meet the new needs, research requests, and developing projects, we need to hire someone. This is a major event and a necessary one. We hope to raise $30,000 support the first year salary for the new person. We are letting people know about the need so that you can pray. The Lord provides where he guides. Right now, CARM only is able to support one person, Matt Slick.
If we had the funding for another person to work with CARM, this person would need to be able to manage projects, research, write, and do web development. There is a great deal to do at CARM and this Ministry has the potential of reaching millions. In fact, the CARM website was accessed 1.2 million times last month in the CARM discussion board was accessed over 2 million times.
We need someone to write a program for CARM that will allow people to save web pages to projects that they can name. They could log in (email/password) and save various CARM articles to their projects. This would not mean that people had to log in to view CARM. This is an extra feature should anyone want to use it.
Reminder: The Online Schools are now for an Unlimited Duration
The CARM online schools (Theology, Apologetics, and Critical Thinking) are now for an unlimited duration when you sign-up. For those of you who already have, I will gladly extend your access time. Just let us know at [email protected] Also, the program that governs how the school is accessed has a maximum duration of 20 years -- but we'll extend it another 20 when you get there. Please consider supporting CARM and getting something in return. This is a major Ministry offering of CARM that is used both to support CARM and to equip Christians. Please consider signing up for the schools so that you can defend the Christian faith better. By the way, I'm offering all three schools at a substantial discount if you are interested.
We are still working hard on researching and modifying the CARM site for a future makeover. (See the sample layout page for articles). In addition, we will open CARM up for other writers to contribute, if they are qualified.
Want to write for CARM?
We are doing a revamp of the CARM website and we will be opening it up to other writers. However, the qualifications to be able to write for CARM will be rather high. We're looking for theologically trained Christians (or who have proven their grasp of Christian theology) who have at least a bachelor's degree. Masters degree level is preferred. However, we are aware that there are very gifted researchers and writers who do not have bachelors or Masters degrees. We are open to discussions with them as well. If you think that you would be interested in writing for CARM, please contact CARM at [email protected] We are trying to begin the dialogue process.
Those who write for CARM would have to understand that what ever is used on CARM becomes the property of CARM. Of course, the original author would be able to use the material elsewhere. The point is to allow CARM to modify the articles, if necessary, and to sell them in any potential future works such as the MOAN (mother of all notebooks), and other such offerings. Furthermore, there is a "CARM style" of writing. It is simplistic and to the point and anyone who would write for CARM would have to learn how to do that. It isn't difficult and we would explain it over the phone.
CARM now has podcasting ability: http://feeds.feedburner.com/carmorgpodcasting.
The owners at the Christian radio station are behind the Faith and Reason Radio Show 100% and want to expand into other markers. Thank you for the suggestions about possible radio stations. If you have not already sent me a suggestion, please do so at [email protected] Second, we're looking for sponsors who would be interested in expanding the Faith and Reason radio show Again, if you are interested in doing this, please contact me at the same e-mail address.
We have some radio shows archived here http://www.live365.com/stations/matt_slick. You can also listen live to the show at http://www.myfamilyradio.com. I'm on at 6pm Mountain time on the AM station.
Prayer Ministry - CARM does have a prayer Ministry. If you are interested in joining us as we pray for others' needs, or if you have needs that you need prayer for, please go to http://www.carm.org/prayer.htm and sign up.
Discussion Boards - http://www.christiandiscussionforums.org/v/index.php. We have a very active discussion boards and if you are interested in joining us, check out the link.
Chat Room - http://www.carm.org/boards/chat.htm. Want a live discussion? Sign up.
Live Radio Show! - Live radio show that began on Monday, Jan. 2, 2006. The show is called "Faith and Reason with Matt Slick." I am on for one hour, five days a week, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Mountain Time). It's a live call-in show where people can ask all kinds of questions dealing with Christianity, the Bible, cults, etc. You can call in to the number is 208-377-3790. You can listen to old programs here: http://www.live365.com/stations/matt_slick) and live via the Internet connection at www.myfamilyradio.com on the AM station.
Radio Show Times
Monday through Friday
Phone # is 208-377-3790
Hawaii Alaska Pacific Mountain Central Eastern 2-3pm 4-5pm 5-6pm 6-7pm 7-8pm 8-9pm
- CHANGE: Weekly Teaching Time on Paltalk - Every Tuesday (changed from Thursday) evening I host a live discussion room on paltalk.com. Paltalk is a free voice chat system that is quite good. Paltalk is full of Christians as well as non-Christians and the battles over truth are frequent. It is however, a good place to learn how to defend your faith. If any of you are interested and would like to check it out, please join us for our weekly discussion by going to paltalk, download the program, and join us on Tuesday evenings.
| Paltalk.com | Section = Christianity | Room = CARM
We need your support
CARM is reaching thousands and thousands of people all over the world for Jesus Christ. There are very few ways that are more efficient and more effective in presenting the gospel message than is the Internet. Your support can go a long way to further the kingdom of God. Please consider supporting CARM with $5 a month or whatever you feel led to contribute. It's easy to do and it does help a great deal. If interested, please sign up here.
From the Theological Dictionary
Be fishers of men, not keepers of the aquarium
Rev. Matt Slick, your missionary to the Internet. Equipping the church to defend the faith in a secular society.
Walvoord, John F., and Zuck, Roy B., The Bible Knowledge Commentary, (Wheaton, Illinois: Scripture Press Publications, Inc.) 1983, 1985.
- Apologetics Dialogues
- CARM Radio
- Cut and Paste Information
- Discussion Boards
- Email and Responses
- Evidence and Answers
- Lost Books
- Objections and Answers
- Online Schools
- Preachers and Teachers
- Recommended Websites
- Research Links
- Responding to Critics
- Verses Examined - OT
- Verses Examined - NT
- Women in Ministry
- Women's Issues
- About Angels
- About Apologetics
- About Baptism
- About the Bible
- About Bible Verses
- About the Church
- About Christianity
- About Demons
- About Doctrine
- About End Times
- About Ethics
- About Evangelism
- About God
- About Heresies
- About The Holy Spirit
- About Jesus
- About Man
- About Marriage
- About the Occult
- About Pastors
- About People
- About Prayer
- About Philosophy
- About Religions
- About Salvation
- About Sanctification
- About Science
- About Sexuality
- About Sin
- About Theology
- Other Questions
- Skeptics Ask
Help CARM by Liking It!
Discount off of Logos Bible Program.
CARM highly recommends using the Logos Bible Research Program. It is what we use. It is the best in the world. Just go to http://www.logos.com/carm. Use the coupon code of CARM6.