Welcome to the Oct. 7, 2006 Newsletter
From the President, Matt Slick
There has been a slight change of plans. Due to a death of a friend I will be in Southern California several days earlier than anticpated. There is a funeral being held on Monday morning in Cyprus, CA. I'll be attending. Also, please pray for me for Thursday as I go down to San Diego to cross the border into Mexico and preach in La Mesa prison. Finally, please pray for me as I speak to the youth at a local church in San Diego on Friday night.
There isn't the whole bunch to report except that there was a very interesting caller I had on Wednesday. Someone had put me in contact with him and thought he might be an interesting guest to have on the air so that he could defend a Roman Catholicism. It turned out to be a debacle. This gentleman was quite rude and (how I put this nicely) was less than stellar in his approach. Everybody who's heard the show and has commented on it, (so far as I know) has stated that this guy was extremely irritating. A Roman Catholic even called in to complain about him. To give you an example of how it went, at one part of the dialogue I quoted Scripture thusly: "The Bible says in 1 Pet. 2:22 that Jesus never sinned." He responded by saying that the Bible never said any such thing. I corrected him and said that the Scriptures did indeed say that Jesus was sinless. He then told me (I'm paraphrasing here) that the Bible doesn't have a mouth and can't say anything. If that wasn't bad enough, after a particularly illogical approach from him on the invalidity of interpreting Scripture, I tried to get to the discussion back on topic. He then asked me if I was conceding his point. I said that was not conceding anything to him but just wanted to get back on topic. He then said "I win" several times.
The discussion degenerated and it became quite obvious that he was not capable of having a truly in-depth and rational dialogue. Unfortunately, it became necessary to cut them off and continue the show without him. Several people I spoke to who heard the show said they couldn't believe that I waited as long as I did to get rid of them. Unfortunately, things like this happen in radio.
If you would like to hear past shows from Faith and Reason, you can check out the podcast at http://feeds.feedburner.com/carmorgpodcasting. Last month we had over 8000 downloads via the podcast system.
Book form of Theology School
As many of you know, CARM offers three online schools. One is in Christian theology. Another is on apologetics. The third is on critical thinking. We have converted the School of Theology into book form for use in Bible studies and Sunday school classes. The school is offered in two forms: a teacher's edition and a student edition. The students addition has the lessons and questions. The teacher's edition has the lessons and the answers to the questions. Both books are identical in layout and content except that the teacher's edition has the answers. Each book contains suggested reading plans for different length of time, four weeks, six weeks, eight weeks, 10 weeks, and 12 weeks. There is also a basic theology test of 20 questions that people can take, and Xerox off to have others take in the church, so that people will be motivated to study.
If you are interested in checking out the course, please go to http://shop.carm.org/shop/?shop=1&cat=14&cart=22830.
The CARM homepage was accessed about 37,022 times last week. The entire site was accessed 318,876 times. Praise God.
The effectiveness of the Internet is amazing. There simply is no more efficient way to get out mass amounts of information than the Internet. Since I have started keeping track of the total amount of page views and visitors to the CARM website on the site as a whole, (not just the home page), the statistics are amazing. Since June 1st, 2006 through today Oct 7, CARM has been accessed 5,037,833 times. There have been 1,370,095 unique visitors with 295,507 returning visitors. Can you think of any easier, inexpensive, and more efficient way to reach people been the Internet? I can't. I praise God that the Internet exists so that we can spread the gospel.
Do you have any suggestions for the newsletter or the CARM website? If so, let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks.
I found a quiz program that I'm trying out. IThere is a red link to it on the CARM homepage. Give it a try and let me know what you think of it.
Love and Hate Mail
CARM is constantly getting e-mails of thanks and praise and condemnation. Here are a few...in the raw. (At the suggestion of a reader, the hate mail is first so that the last taste in your mouth, is the love mail).
- SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD SADHOW SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD
- WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, YOUR WHOLE WEBSITE IS AN ERROR
- I have read your numerous robotic quotes of scripture as you denounce the true Church of Christ: The Roman Catholic Church, as history proves, as well as the countless confirmed miracles and apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary attest. You claim to hold a MDiv- so do I- but you have no sense of exegesis. Your interpretation of Holy Scripture is purely biased and has no authority. The authority lies with the Holy See in Rome. Your abuse of Holy Scripture is a sin against the Holy Spirit. I pray that one day you will overcome your blindness and arrogance, the same faults suffered by the "reformers?" and self-styled ministers who have no connection with the true apostolic tradition.
- HOW IN THE NAME OF GOD CAN YOU "SPEAK" FOR OTHERS? SHAME ON YOU? I AM NOT JUDGING YOU, JUST MAKING YOU "AWARE" OF WHAT YOU'RE MISSING. HOPE YOU LEARN TO DO "IT" GOD'S WAY! IT"S THE GOSPEL, SLICK!
- Love mail
- I would just like to let you know that I really appreciate your site. I've always been somewhat of a dedicated Christian but never to the degree that I wanted to. I am 18 years old and about 2 months ago I accepted Christ as my personal Savior which I feel is the best decision that I have made by far....Today I did a search and I came upon your site which has truly been a personal response from God for me. I give thanks to God first for using you and your website to help rid my mind of all these questions and I say thank you to you for allowing God to use you in this manner despite all of the bad feedback (which I did read also) that you have received. Keep doing what your doing; you are truly in the business of saving souls.
- Hi, I was raised as a Jehovah Witness and when I left the organization I felt lost. Carm.org helped me the find the true Jesus and the truth. I also think you can add to the section of Jehovah witnesses – did Jesus die on a stake or a cross this. If Jesus died on a torture stake then why was the sign King of the Jews placed over his head not over his hands (Mt 27:37)? Just thought it might help.
- Your ministry is awesome! Many Blessing! Jesus loves you & so do we!
Same as Last Newsletter
Please consider supporting CARM financially: here
Prayer Ministry - CARM does have a prayer Ministry. If you are interested in joining us as we pray for others' needs, or if you have needs that you need prayer for, please go to http://www.carm.org/prayer.htm and sign up.
Online Schools. Theology, Apologetics, and Critical Thinking. You can support CARM and also learn.
Discussion Boards - http://www.christiandiscussionforums.org/v/index.php. We have a very active discussion boards.
Chat Room - http://www.carm.org/boards/chat.htm. Want a live discussion?
Live Radio Show! - The show is called "Faith and Reason with Matt Slick." I am on for one hour, five days a week, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Mountain Time). It's a live call-in show where people can ask all kinds of questions dealing with Christianity, the Bible, cults, counseling, the occult, etc. You can call in to the number is 208-377-3790 and/or listen live via the Internet at www.myfamilyradio.com on the AM station.
Podcasting CARM now has podcasting ability for past radio shows: http://feeds.feedburner.com/carmorgpodcasting.
Weekly Teaching Time on Paltalk - Every Tuesday evening I host a live discussion room on paltalk.com. Paltalk is a free voice chat system that is quite good. It is full of Christians as well as non-Christians and the battles over truth are frequent. It is however, a good place to learn how to defend your faith. If interested, please join us for our weekly discussion by going to paltalk, download the program, and join us on Tuesday evenings at 8pm, Mountain time.
Do you have any suggestions for the CARM newsletter or the CARM website? If so, please contact us at email@example.com. We want to know what you think, areas of need that you would like to see addressed, as well as any comments you might have.