Newsletter Jan 20, 2010
by Matt Slick
- New Discussion Forums. We released the New Forums at http://forums.carm.org/vbb/index.php. However, we found out that the new forums are lacking in true of vital functions that enable us to moderate complaints. So, we have temporarily the new boards on hold.
- The old forums are still open (http://forums.carm.org/v/index.php) until the new forums' bugs are worked out.
- Thanks: Thanks to everyone who has supported CARM. We sincerely thank each and everyone one of you and appreciate all you've done.
- Supporters: We plan to on getting the donations receipts out by end of January. We have instituted a new system with Quickbooks online and this January will be the first time using it and sending out receipts. It should be quick and easy.
- New CARM store can be found at http://store.carm.org. We are still populating it. So, if you want to check it out, please do...including the new Slick vs. Tabash debate on "Does God Exist?" You can order it from the store at http://store.carm.org/videos/debates.html.
- Miapic.com is our new Spanish site is coming along very well. We are moving forward in getting Carlos fulltime support via miapic.
- Radio Show: CARM's radio show is still going strong. January 2, was our 4 year anniversary. We broadcast live video during the show, M-F, 6-7 PM, MST. We also have a toll free number to call during the show. 877-207-2276
- The Garden: We are almost ready to release a novel called The Garden, written by me. It is an evangelistic novel with angels, demons, a good guy, bad guy, visions, and lots of theological teaching. We have a cover designer working on a cover and the final editing process is underway. We'll let you know more later.
If you download this toolbar CARM gets about $.40. You don't have to use it. Just keep it for a week or two, check it out, and then delete it if you want. Get easy access to podcasts, videos, CARM articles, forums, chat (soon), and more at a click of a button. If you download it and use it for a few days, CARM gets a little donation from the toolbar developer. That way you get something and help support CARM -- for free! It isn't intrusive on your system and doesn't cause computer problems. I've been using it with absolutely no problems. It works in FireFox and Internet Explorer.
If that sounds good, then download and install it at http://carm.OurToolbar.com/ This is what it looks like (broken into two parts to fit on this page)
Ustream.tv on Homepage
We are now streaming the radio show live on http://www.ustream.tv/channel/carmorg from 6-7 PM, MST. Also, there are prerecorded shows you can check out if interested. Click on the link and you can see past shows.
These past few weeks have been quite busy around here at CARM. I recently have been communicating with a gentleman in South Africa who is interested in starting an apologetics Internet outreach for Afrikaans language speakers. Also, we have a young man from Brazil who is helping us translate the CARM website into Portuguese. Please pray for guidance regarding these foreign language initiatives.
The Spanish www.miapic.com initiative of CARM continues to move forward. I have been busy these past few weeks linking articles from our Spanish to our English articles. This way our Spanish readers can easily reference our English content.
I also have still been working on a number of article projects. I recently wrote a few articles refuting various Muslim claims that prophecies of Muhammad are found in the Bible. You can read these articles by going to here http://carm.org/islam under the heading “Muhammad and the Bible.”
On New Year’s Eve, a few friends of mine and I went to downtown Charlotte, NC, to do some street evangelism. Security was tight in Charlotte as thousands of people gathered in the heart of the city to cheer in the New Year. In fact, it almost felt like a military takeover as there were dozens of police officers on every corner. Anyhow, our approach in our witnessing was to pass out gospel tracts and try to start evangelistic conversations with people. We each had some extremely interesting conversations.
I am always amazed at how many people who even claim to be Christians do not have any assurance of their salvation. One conversation that I had with a middle aged African American gentlemen brought this point out. In common American fashion, he thought that he might go to heaven because he was a good person. I briefly responded by showing him that no one is righteous before God because God’s standard is absolute perfection. I then explained to him the Law of God which demonstrates that we are not righteous. If we have lied, we are a liar. If we have stolen, we are a thief. I then clearly explained the Gospel message emphasizing the necessity of trusting Christ alone for salvation. He thanked me, shook my hand, took a tract, and walked off. I pray that the Lord will open this man’s eyes to the Gospel.
It is interesting that people often are not as opposed to the Gospel as we sometimes think. It seems that we are afraid to open our mouths due to a fear of rejection. However, as one evangelist said, “Whether we get rejected or accepted while sharing the Gospel, it is always a 100% success because our job is to plant seeds. God brings about the increase.” Honestly, what do we have to lose? Pray and ask God to bring about opportunities for you to share your faith. You never know what He will do through you.
Slick and Quick
- Amazon Wish List. Last week at the debate, I spoke with James White of aomin.org. He debated Dan Barker in the morning and I debated Dan in the evening. James told me about the Amazon wish list and how useful it is. So, I set one up for CARM. Just go to amazon.com and do a search in the wish list area for carm.org and you'll find it. James White uses The Kindle and tells me how very useful it is to be able to purchase books in electronic format, download them, and have them be searchable. That would be a huge asset. People like projects and they often want to help with those. So, there's the carm.org wish list. http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/2RL4ROV6EXVMO/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go
- Prayer Support: If you would like to pray specifically for CARM, then please check out http://www.carm.org/christianity/prayer-ministry/carm-prayer-needs.
- Feedback and Suggestions. We have a feedback form for CARM now, so if you want to give us some feedback (we'd love to hear it), please go to http://www.carm.org/submit-feedback. We want to hear your ideas!
- Corrections Feedback. If you have a correction you want to see made on CARM we have a form for that too: http://www.carm.org/submit-correction.
- WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT! If you like what CARM does and want to support it, we have some options.
Tech Stuff Needs
- We need Drupal and programming help - If you know Drupal and want to help, please let us know. Aaron will be working one day a week for CARM and MRM.ORG and he would be the one working with you. If interested, please contact me at [email protected] and I will forward your e-mail to Aaron. We also need a new and better "Theme Design" for CARM where the html code has the text of the articles appearing sooner in the page than later!!
- Twitter - You can follow the CARM twitter stuff at https://twitter.com/carmorg. We post stuff throughout the day.
Love and Hate Mail
- My name is Abraham, and I have been using CARM for various things for about two years now I think. I even have it as a tab on my web browser. I don’t know how many times I have been talking with a Christian friend about some Theological issue, and stated, "Yeah, I read this on CARM.org, you should check it out, they have great stuff." Or something along those lines. So I am eight-teen, in college, and just trying to live for Him... But I just wanted to let all you at CARM know that your ministry has really helped me in equiping myself, and presenting to others things that the Lord lays on my heart, because of what I read on CARM. Also I had no clue how to evangelize, why I should, or how I could possibly remember to present it to those who didn't know Jesus. Until I went on CARM and read the entire section on it. So I just want to say thank you. Thank you for taking all the crap that comes with being Apologists. So I also wanted to share with you my testimony. Thank you for all the work that you all have put into the site, and the ministry that you have established with God's help. =] I also wanted to share with you my testimony, to use as you wish. For your own encouragement, or for the site.
- I have been reading all your information on Mormonism and have found it to be an incredible resource. I think what you are doing is a huge benefit for the Kingdom and I hope you continue on this. I e-mail you for advice. My father practices Mormonism and has been involved in it for over 4 or 5 years. I am very interested in witnessing to him but the fact he is my father seems to make traditional methods of evangelism inappropriate(and I sincerely hope I am wrong). I feel as though I have to restrain myself from typical strategies. The question is: How would I witness to my Mormon father? He believes in exaltation, Godly consent to many wives, celestial marriage, the whole kit and kaboodle. However, in my discussion with him, he has told me what he believes exaltation is, which isn't necessarily becoming a god, but inheriting all of God's power(which would make you a god anyway wouldn't it?). Maybe that information on what he believes specifically isn't necessary but it certainly falls in line with everything I have read. I am going to visit him in a few months. Absolutely anything you can give would be much appreciated. Thank you. Chris
- I just wanted to take the time to thank you guys so much for you work with the Lord and Carm. I purchased the 3 schools and notebooks over a year ago, and they have helped so much in helping me grow in the Lord. Thank you guys. I wish you both a blessed and happy thanksgiving, and look forward to when we can all sit down together with Lord at the marriage supper of the Lamb and dine with one another. Take care this holiday, and be safe. Billy
- Matt and CARM Staff, My support is very little compared to the wealth of knowledge your website has given me and others seeking to walk with the Lord. Thank you for doing God's work. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years. God bless, Phil
- Rev. Slick, I've been listening to your podcast for a short time now and just wanted to extend a thank you for your fair treatment of those who have differing opinions. Primarily I have been struck by your treatment of those who have different beliefs in eschatology and Calvinism vs. Arminianism. While you stand by your convictions and do a wonderful job defending it with scripture, you are always fair by stating the opposing view is within orthodoxy (at least the ones that are, not the heretical ones, obviously). I have encountered some people who are not as gracious and have heard of others who will question your salvation if you do not agree with them. Thank you for demonstrating love and grace in these matters. I am still settling some of these doctrines for myself as I study scripture and appreciate a fair treatment of them.
God bless you and your ministry. Chris
- Dear Matt, Your comments on this religion [Christian Science] are cruel, un-Christian, in-accurate and full of lies and half truths! And you speak as a Christian? Shame on you dear one and God preserve you and lead you in to the Truth and Truth Speaking!! Bless you, Bruce
- Why do you and your organization continue to lie about pastor murray? He has never denied the existence of the Trinity neither has he denied the existence of the lake of fire. He does deny the falsehood of the rapture however. Again matthew show me where the word rapture is listed anywhere in the new or old testament. And please dont start with the veiled attempt and failed attempt by referencing 1 thessalonians 4:17. I want actual proof that word can be found anywhere at all in the Bible. Because Christ never taught it neither did any of the disciples. Your supposed rapture didn't come about until the yr 1830. A young mentally disturbed girl by the name of margaret macdonald espoused it. 2 supposed super preachers were standing nearby and heard it and it caught on like wildfire. Im quite sure that neither you nor anyone on your staff hasnt got any hebrew greek or chaldee scholar among them. Youre going by the english mistranslations, which totally misrepresent what Christ actually taught. Again provide proof beyond 1st thessalonians and the polluted english translation or shut up. Either put up or shut up time matthew. Again I await your reply.
- I just heard your interview with Kelly. I need to commend you for your brilliant tactic on the tone of your voice and calm and smug "persuasiveness" in your demeanor regarding dealing with Kelly. Very clever of you to do this since all it did was to tempt her to make irrational statements and you come out too too adorable and win the debate. Yes, very VERY clever. Unfortunatly your hatred of atheists came through loud and clear so it sort of defeated its purpose didnt it? So all these theatrics didnt mean a thing because there really wasnt any substance within that framework. But hey, it was a nice try. You taught me a lot. I need to say thank you for showing me something new. "Calmly, Smugly and Reasonably" yours. Tim.
- YOU SHOULD GET TUNS OF E-MAIL! THE ************ YOU SAY ABOUT SHEPHERDS CHAPEL AND PASTOR MURRAY, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF! MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOU! Maureen
Support CARM and Get something totally cool! "Would you like to support CARM but also get the best Bible research program out there? If you're serious about studying the Bible and want what is, in our opinion, the best Bible program available, then get Logos Bible Software. You win because Logos will give you 15% off if you go through CARM. Just click here: http://www.logos.com/carm. CARM wins, because Logos will donate a portion of every sale back to CARM. Logos wins, by spreading the Word, making more sales, and getting more people into better Bible study. By the way, we've used various free software programs. They work, but none of them approach the quality and depth offered by logos." Matt Slick
Why Support CARM?
Support CARM. << Hey!, that is a clickable link!
We are asking that people help out with just $5 a month. That isn't much, but it is a great help to us. Think about this: CARM gets around 32,000 page views around 10,000 visitors every day. That is huge! Your $5 monthly support helps CARM to reach out that thousands of people a day! Is that worth such a small amount?
- Produce the Family Teaching Course designed to be used at the dinner table. It goes through the Bible and teaches doctrine, apologetics, Bible characters, Bible events, etc. Its designed to stop the huge amount of Christians from leaving their faith. Statistically, 80% of Christians raised in a Christian home and go to a Christian church lose their faith within two years of attending a secular college. We want to stop that by grounding them in the faith by going through this at home. Where else are they going to learn what they need to know?
- Convert the School of Theology into a video course for distribution at churches and homes.
- Teaching videos on multiple topics on evangelism, cults, the Bible, evolution, etc.
- Produce more online schools.
- Be able to write more on the various groups attacking the Christian faith.
- Produce inserts for Church bulletins.
- Produce evangelism tracts in English and other languages.
- Produce CARM in other languages with people in other countries heading up CARM in those countries.
- This Newsletter goes out to more than 25,000 people. Want to advertise on it? If so, contact us at [email protected]. Its $100 per Newsletter Send. All ads must be approved by CARM.
- Also, we have locations available on the CARM site for advertising as well.
- Apologetics Dialogues
- CARM Radio
- Cut and Paste Information
- Discussion Boards
- Email and Responses
- Evidence and Answers
- Lost Books
- Objections and Answers
- Online Schools
- Preachers and Teachers
- Recommended Websites
- Research Links
- Responding to Critics
- Verses Examined - OT
- Verses Examined - NT
- Women in Ministry
- Women's Issues
- About Angels
- About Apologetics
- About Baptism
- About the Bible
- About Bible Verses
- About the Church
- About Christianity
- About Demons
- About Doctrine
- About End Times
- About Ethics
- About Evangelism
- About God
- About Heresies
- About The Holy Spirit
- About Jesus
- About Man
- About Marriage
- About the Occult
- About Pastors
- About People
- About Prayer
- About Philosophy
- About Religions
- About Salvation
- About Sanctification
- About Science
- About Sexuality
- About Sin
- About Theology
- Other Questions
- Skeptics Ask
Help CARM by Liking It!
Discount off of Logos Bible Program.
CARM highly recommends using the Logos Bible Research Program. It is what we use. It is the best in the world. Just go to http://www.logos.com/carm. Use the coupon code of CARM6.