Newsletter March 5, 2010
Slick and Quick
by Matt Slick
- Missed February's Newsletter - I apologize for missing the newsletters for February. I have been quite busy visiting my father out in St. Louis who passed away on 2/11. I'll be going to Southern California for the Memorial service in Riverside next week. It will be held at a military facility. I want to sincerely thank all of you who were praying and who have offered your condolences.
- IRC - Is there anyone out there how really understand IRC Chat and can help us set up a CARM.org chat room? We want to test it out. We don't know if is good enough for our needs but we want to find out. It is difficult to set up a room so we are asking for help. We'd need help with setup, room creation, program's to use, etc. If you know how, please contact us at [email protected].
- Women Pastors - I've written a short article for Christians to email to churches that have and/or affirm women pastors and elders. It is located at http://www.carm.org/email-churches-women-pastors. If you send a church the article, please let me know at [email protected] and include the web address where you sent it to, the city, and state of the church. I'll be putting up a list at http://www.carm.org/email-churches-women-pastors-list. Following is a response one person got for sending it to his pastor.
- "Frank, IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO FIND A DIFFERENT CHURCH. YOU ARE NO LONGER WELCOME AT HOPE. BYE. PASTOR SCOTT."
- Camera for Miapic.com - CARM's Spanish version has been up and running and Carlos who heads it up in Bogota, Columbia has need of a video camera so he can shoot videos in Spanish. We'll need around $1000 for a decent one that shoots to a Hard Drive. We're looking for donations to cover the cost. If you want to help out, please let us know at [email protected]. CARM PO Box 995, Meridian, ID.
- New Discussion Forums are open at http://forums.carm.org/vbb/index.php. They we're now running well enough for us to use. I hope you enjoy them.
- New Chat Room - We now have a new chat room located at http://forums.carm.org/vbb/ustream.htm
- Debate: Matt Slick vs Eddie Tabash, 12/5/09, "Does God Exist?". If you want to see the debate for free, go here: http://www.vimeo.com/8752186. You can also order the DVD's from CARM in a couple weeks.
- Debate: Matt Slick vs Dan Barker, 9/26/2009, "Is there reason to be good without God?". We finally got the third segment of the debate from the church and Newburgh, Oregon. However, the third segment has pretty poor quality audio. I have not taken the time to try and improve the audio quality yet, since I've been so busy. I'll have to teach myself how to do that. So, please be patient.
- Logos Bible software: CARM uses Logos Bible Software. It is the best. If you purchase it via CARM you get 25% off. But, on Feb. 1, it changes to 15%. So, if you were planning on getting it, hurry up. www.logos.com/carm
- New Video Feed for Radio Show: We are now streaming the radio show live on http://forums.carm.org/vbb/ustream.htm from 6-7 PM, MST. Also, there are prerecorded shows you can check out if interested. Click on the link and you can see past shows. In addition, you can simply tune into the CARM home page when the show is on because we link it there during the show. We also have a toll free number to call during the show. 877-207-2276.
- New CARM store - we are working on a new store for CARM since the old one has had too many problems. Please be patient with us as we convert the old store to the new one.
- Miapic.com is our new Spanish site is coming along very well. We are moving forward in getting Carlos fulltime support via miapic. Carlos is getting the three CARM schools translated and in place. They should be ready in soon.
- Amazon Wish List. Last week at the debate, I spoke with James White of aomin.org. He debated Dan Barker in the morning and I debated Dan in the evening. James told me about the Amazon wish list and how useful it is. So, I set one up for CARM. Just go to amazon.com and do a search in the wish list area for carm.org and you'll find it. James White uses The Kindle and tells me how very useful it is to be able to purchase books in electronic format, download them, and have them be searchable. That would be a huge asset. People like projects and they often want to help with those. So, there's the carm.org wish list. http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/2RL4ROV6EXVMO/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go
- Prayer Support: If you would like to pray specifically for CARM, then please check out http://www.carm.org/christianity/prayer-ministry/carm-prayer-needs.
- Feedback and Suggestions. We have a feedback form for CARM now, so if you want to give us some feedback (we'd love to hear it), please go to http://www.carm.org/submit-feedback. We want to hear your ideas!
- Corrections Feedback. If you have a correction you want to see made on CARM we have a form for that too: http://www.carm.org/submit-correction.
- WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT! If you like what CARM does and want to support it, we have some options.
- We need Drupal and programming help - If you know Drupal and want to help, please let us know. Aaron will be working one day a week for CARM and MRM.ORG and he would be the one working with you. If interested, please contact me at [email protected] and I will forward your e-mail to Aaron. We also need a new and better "Theme Design" for CARM where the html code has the text of the articles appearing sooner in the page than later!!
- Twitter - You can follow the CARM twitter stuff at https://twitter.com/carmorg. We post stuff throughout the day.
- From what I understand, I need a literary agent in order to get books published. I thought I'd ask if anyone knows how to get a literary agent. I have finished "The Garden" (ready for release via self publishing or publishing house) and am working on a booklet on Women Pastors. Later this year I hope to finish the Family Teaching Course. There are several other books I want to write: Theology in Sneakers, A book on atheism, The Crucible (apologetics dialogues on various topics), 100 Truths About Jesus, etc. I am seriously interested in getting more work published. So, I'm looking for a literary agent -- or someone who knows about publishing and can point me in the right direction. If you have some info and/or suggestions please contact me, Matt Slick, at [email protected]. Thanks.
- If you want to see Cover Design Ideas for The Garden, please go to http://forums.carm.org/v/showthread.php?p=5784234#poststop
- Does anyone know of a national/regional booksellers/publishers convention here in America for 2010? I've looked on the internet and though I know such things exist, I can't seem to locate one.
If you download this toolbar CARM gets about $.40. You don't have to use it. Just keep it for a week or two, check it out, and then delete it if you want. Get easy access to podcasts, videos, CARM articles, forums, chat (soon), and more at a click of a button. If you download it and use it for a few days, CARM gets a little donation from the toolbar developer. That way you get something and help support CARM -- for free! It isn't intrusive on your system and doesn't cause computer problems. I've been using it with absolutely no problems. It works in FireFox and Internet Explorer.
If that sounds good, then download and install it at http://carm.OurToolbar.com/ This is what it looks like (broken into two parts to fit on this page)
Ryan will update us next newsletter.
Love and Hate Mail
- Matt I wanted to let you know that I listen to you via podcast. I live here in Burleson, TX and have been listening to you for about two years now. Your show replaced Hank Hanegraaff's show on my mp3 player. I was away from your show for a couple of months now and was really wanting sound Biblical teaching and my first thought was your show and website. I had a Mormon come to my door the other day, I live across the street from a Mormom church, and realized I was not fully ready to engage him in a witness encounter. Your show and website were the first place I turned. Thank you for all you do for the body of Christ.
- My name is Tim a young man who was saved last year was looking @ your site. He told me I had to look at your testimony .He said it sounded like mine .I just read it and it is shocking how close it is .I saw things just as you. Keep up the good work keep telling others there is a side that no one should go. Thank God that he gave you and I the way out . I am now 44 and most of my friends who did not find the way are dead today.We must tell others.
- CARM staff, THIS SITE AND INFORMATION ARE AWESOME! I have been blessed this morning. Thank you! In HIM, Terrance
- Hi Matt,
I’ve been using your website on and off for a couple of years now.. Just logged on again tonight and I continue to be awed and impressed by advancements and wealth of true knowledge in the site as reflected in the Bible. Then, I went on to read your testimony… thanks for sharing. While communicating a testimony is probably nerve-wracking to say the least, the leap of faith you took in explaining your conversion is priceless. Keep up the great work. thank you thank you thank you!!
- Thank you Matt and your staff for all of the work you do defending the true gospel of Jesus. Its good that you do it with love. Your knowledge would be fruitless if not combined with love for those who call in or email. Keep up the good work. By the way, I now have a new interest in theology thanks to listening to the show!
- Hello, just read your teaching concerning a christians security in Jesus and I agree totally. Thank you for your work and your great web site, what a resource for the believer. Another text I always utilize when defending a believers security is Eph 1:13,14. It tells what happens the moment each person becomes a believer and is given the Holy Spirit of PROMISE/GUARANTEE that we are God's own possession on the day of redemption. If we could lose our gift of salvation God's promise/guarantee wouldn't be reliable at all and satans power to steal away a believer would be stronger than our Lords power to keep us. Thanks again for your help to the body... best regards, John Davis
- I was looking at your site and listened to your video on salvation. One of the things that struck me is the fact that you portrayed God as vindictive as he sits in judgment to punish his sons and daughters for eternity. God the father does sit in judgment but those that are found without Christ are blotted out and remembered know more. Now, I have studied the Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic for over twenty years and also have studied the English language. I am not affiliated with any organization or religion, but do not try to scare people into excepting Christ. This approach does not work. Souls are not held for eternity burning in some kind of pit. Also, teach your students to take all words back to the Hebrew and Greek
- Do you want proof, you ignoramus, that faith without works is useless?
- My name is Greg. I browse through religious and philosophical websites as a sort of part-time hobby. I've read literally thousands of websites just like yours, written by authors just like yourself. I have never in my life actually taken time to stop and extend my thoughts to ANY of them. Not one. However after reading a hefty chunk of your articles I somehow felt the NEED to contact you. You, and your organization, are a farce. Yes, a farce...the use of the word farce was quite intentional and literal, and actually applies to this case in more ways than one. The unintelligible garbage that you spew out of your mouth (or in this case, your fingers) is a poison to any and all who are ignorant enough to actually believe what you are saying. Your own total ignorance towards fact and logical arguments that are presented to you is astounding. You go so far as to cite the bible as proof of the bible's integrity! ARE YOU SERIOUS? You state that the burden of proof lies in those who do not believe in the bible. This is ridiculous. You state that 'we' should PROVE the bible is not true? Why don't you try PROVING, that it is truly a literal translation of actual events. Prove it with real, empirical evidence. Cite actual historical documents that are CONFIRMED legitimate. Cite anything other than a book with no real evidence supporting that it is the truth. PROVE that it is not the writings of a group of individuals bent on bringing law to a lawless time and extorting the people around them. Some part of me feels that no one could hold such blind conviction and this is simply an advertising scheme to turn a profit, and of course to take a donation or two. All in the name of The Lord, right? You disgust me. It is not your beliefs that bother me. It is your presentation of those beliefs and your supposed arguments with men and women who present perfectly reasonable arguments to which you rebut with nothing more than bible passages. "Jesus was resurrected, therefore he must be real". THAT IS A FARCE. You spend so much time rambling about how society is broken or how the church is broken. You do not realize that your actions, along with the actions of many other individuals with similar mindsets and a desperate need to feel loved, special, and with purpose...are one of the many reasons our society has come to this point. In fact, that was the breaking point in your articles...when you stated how much worse the world gets over time, and then stated that there are now more christians going to church than ever before. (I believe the number you gave was 40%, don't bother correcting me if I'm wrong, you see I cannot BE wrong, for I died but was resurrected in His name. Therefore I cannot be wrong.) Anyways, I've wasted enough of my time. I really hope there is a hell. Because if there is, at least twisted, manipulative men like you will be judged, and you will suffer for your wrong doings. You are holding back the advancement of the entire human race. Do yourself a favor. Do all of us a favor. Remove yourself from the gene pool as quickly as humanly possible. I would suggest you forcibly ****** until you bleed out...but that would be sodomy. How silly of me.
- I doubt I'll get a response, honestly, but the page on your website dealing with Foreknowledge and Free Will needs to undergo some serious changes. I can point out several logical fallacies that you probably have no interest in hearing about, but in all seriousness, what that page says is almost an outright lie. In any case, it is seriously misleading. Of course, I fear that most websites such as yours are more interested in conversion than honesty. I am a nineteen-year-old Christian, and I know that's not much, and of course you don't have very much time, but I just thought that I should let you know that this particular page is almost flat-out wrong. This is not my opinion, it is internally logically flawed, and blatantly so. Furthermore, it takes an age old theological question, studied by famous and brilliant Christian theologians (my goodness, some men dedicated their LIVES to solving this problem) and says "Oh, you know, it's not really a problem." Boethius and C.S. Lewis would say otherwise. Anyway, on the off-chance that you're actually interested in the truth, I can offer an alternative page, or idea for one, anyway, that lays out the problem (which is VERY, VERY real, and not solved by pretending it isn't there) and some various possible solutions. This is probably the largest paradox in the Christian doctrine, and I swear I can give you a solution. Intentionally or not, with your current content, your website is deceptive. Let me help you.
15% off Bible Software
If you're serious about studying the Bible and what what is, in our opinion, the best Bible program available at 15% off, then get Logos Bible Software by clicking this link, http://www.logos.com/carm. You win because Logos will give you 15% off if you go through CARM. CARM wins, because Logos will donate a portion of every sale back to us. Logos wins, by spreading the Word, making more sales, and getting more people into better Bible study. By the way, we've used various free software programs. They work, but none of them approach the quality and depth offered by logos."
Support CARM. << Hey!, that is a clickable link!
We are asking that people help out with just $5 a month. That isn't much, but it is a great help to us. Think about this: CARM gets around 32,000 page views around 10,000 visitors every day. That is huge! Your $5 monthly support helps CARM to reach out that thousands of people a day! Is that worth such a small amount?
- Produce the Family Teaching Course designed to be used at the dinner table. It goes through the Bible and teaches doctrine, apologetics, Bible characters, Bible events, etc. Its designed to stop the huge amount of Christians from leaving their faith. Statistically, 80% of Christians raised in a Christian home and go to a Christian church lose their faith within two years of attending a secular college. We want to stop that by grounding them in the faith by going through this at home. Where else are they going to learn what they need to know?
- Convert the School of Theology into a video course for distribution at churches and homes.
- Teaching videos on multiple topics on evangelism, cults, the Bible, evolution, etc.
- Produce more online schools.
- Be able to write more on the various groups attacking the Christian faith.
- Produce inserts for Church bulletins.
- Produce evangelism tracts in English and other languages.
- Produce CARM in other languages with people in other countries heading up CARM in those countries.
Advertise with CARM
- This Newsletter goes out to more than 25,000 people. Want to advertise on it? If so, contact us at [email protected]. Its $100 per Newsletter Send. All ads must be approved by CARM.
- Also, we have locations available on the CARM site for advertising as well.
- Apologetics Dialogues
- CARM Radio
- Cut and Paste Information
- Discussion Boards
- Email and Responses
- Evidence and Answers
- Lost Books
- Objections and Answers
- Online Schools
- Preachers and Teachers
- Recommended Websites
- Research Links
- Responding to Critics
- Verses Examined - OT
- Verses Examined - NT
- Women in Ministry
- Women's Issues
- About Angels
- About Apologetics
- About Baptism
- About the Bible
- About Bible Verses
- About the Church
- About Christianity
- About Demons
- About Doctrine
- About End Times
- About Ethics
- About Evangelism
- About God
- About Heresies
- About The Holy Spirit
- About Jesus
- About Man
- About Marriage
- About the Occult
- About Pastors
- About People
- About Prayer
- About Philosophy
- About Religions
- About Salvation
- About Sanctification
- About Science
- About Sexuality
- About Sin
- About Theology
- Other Questions
- Skeptics Ask
Help CARM by Liking It!
15% Discount off of Logos Bible Program.
CARM highly recommends using the Logos Bible Research Program. It is what we use. It is the best in the world. Just go to http://www.logos.com/carm. Use the coupon code of CARM6.