Newsletter Apri 14, 2010
Slick and Quick
by Matt Slick
- The Garden Novel: Finally! I released the Garden Novel. It has been a huge labor or love and finally its out. If you like Christian fiction, then take a look. Here's what its about. "Mark is in his garden, grieving and depressed over the unexplained death of his son and without knowing it, is almost coaxed by a demon into committing suicide. But, at the last moment Sotare, an angel, rescues him and is later permitted to appear to Mark in the Garden. The two dialogue about God, life, death, good, evil, the spiritual realm, and the nature of truth. However, all is not well. The demons are watching and powerful evil forces are sent to kill and destroy those who are close to Mark and those who are praying for him. As Sotare teaches Mark, he is given answers to his questions -- but they do not come easily. He must face his greatest challenge in order to learn his greatest lesson. The battle over Mark unfolds in both the spiritual and physical worlds as angels are sent to battle against the evil forces that are seeking to destroy. True victory is never easy."
So, if it sounds interesting, check it out at http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-garden/10290484. We plan to release it on Amazon in the near future.
- Faith and Reason Radio - We are moving the radio show one hour earlier to 5pm MST starting on May 2, 2010. We are making plans to expand the show to other stations.
- Debate with Atheist in San Antonio, Texas - I don't know what happened, but I guess they aren't interested in debating me. The ball was in their court and they stopped communicating with me. So, oh well. That debate isn't going to happen.
- Portuguese CARM: We are hoping to get someone to do a Portuguese version of CARM. we have a Spanish one at www.miapic.com. It is run by Carolos. We in communication with a person in Brazil about it. Pray that the Lord's will be done.
- Things we need for CARM
- Drupal Expertise and/or Ecommerce System Integration - We need an expert who can take a look at the CARM website structure, the payment integration system (PayPal, authorize net), and make recommendations for improvements and/or provide a way to implement them. We want a user to be able to log into the site, make contributions (with or without logging into site), be able to sign up for schools from in and outside the login, be able to order from the store (with or without logging into site), be able to see their past orders, running donation amounts, etc. In addition, we would like to possibly integrate at a latter date the ability for such a person who has logged to be able to have favorites of CARM articles, a place to place notes, etc. There are a lot of drupal add-ons that available for implementation. This would be, of course, a paid gig. We could talk about what someone would charge for such an examination and recommendation. If you are interested please contact me at [email protected]. I'm collecting information to give to the Board of Directors. This position is depending upon their approval.
- Paypal Pro Integration - Basically, I need help/advice on how to implement Paypal Pro. Anyone? Anyone? Contact me at [email protected].
- Women Pastors - I've written a short article for Christians to email to churches that have and/or affirm women pastors and elders. It is located at http://www.carm.org/email-churches-women-pastors. If you send a church the article, please let me know at [email protected] and include the web address where you sent it to, the city, and state of the church. I'll be putting up a list at http://www.carm.org/email-churches-women-pastors-list.
- Camera for Miapic.com - CARM's Spanish version has been up and running and Carlos who heads it up in Bogota, Columbia has need of a video camera so he can shoot videos in Spanish. We'll need around $1000 for a decent one that shoots to a Hard Drive. We're looking for donations to cover the cost. If you want to help out, please let us know at [email protected].
- New Chat Room - We now have a new chat room located at http://forums.carm.org/vbb/ustream.htm
- New Video Feed for Radio Show: We are now streaming the radio show live on http://forums.carm.org/vbb/ustream.htm from 6-7 PM, MST. Also, there are prerecorded shows you can check out if interested. Click on the link and you can see past shows. In addition, you can simply tune into the CARM home page when the show is on because we link it there during the show. We also have a toll free number to call during the show. 877-207-2276.
- New CARM store - it is released. Check it out at http://store.carm.org
- Miapic.com is our new Spanish site is coming along very well. We are moving forward in getting Carlos fulltime support via miapic. Carlos is getting the three CARM schools translated and in place. They should be ready in soon.
- Amazon Wish List. Last week at the debate, I spoke with James White of aomin.org. He debated Dan Barker in the morning and I debated Dan in the evening. James told me about the Amazon wish list and how useful it is. So, I set one up for CARM. Just go to amazon.com and do a search in the wish list area for carm.org and you'll find it. James White uses The Kindle and tells me how very useful it is to be able to purchase books in electronic format, download them, and have them be searchable. That would be a huge asset. People like projects and they often want to help with those. So, there's the carm.org wish list. http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/2RL4ROV6EXVMO/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go
- Prayer Support: If you would like to pray specifically for CARM, then please check out http://www.carm.org/christianity/prayer-ministry/carm-prayer-needs.
- Feedback and Suggestions. We have a feedback form for CARM now, so if you want to give us some feedback (we'd love to hear it), please go to http://www.carm.org/submit-feedback. We want to hear your ideas!
- Corrections Feedback. If you have a correction you want to see made on CARM we have a form for that too: http://www.carm.org/submit-correction.
- WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT! If you like what CARM does and want to support it, we have some options.
- Twitter - You can follow the CARM twitter stuff at https://twitter.com/carmorg. We post stuff throughout the day.
These past few weeks certainly have been busy. I released a few new articles on the CARM website including: Were Adam and Eve saved?, Does the Gospel of Peter belong in the New Testament?, What does the Bible say about abortion?, Mormonism and the Corruption of the Bible, and more. Please check out the “What’s New” section on the CARM homepage to read these articles. I am also still working on a number of other writing projects that will be released shortly.
Carlos Garbiras, our Spanish translator, and I have been busy working with the Spanish website: www.miapic.com. We have been busy adding new material to this website. Interestingly, we are now getting around 600 visitors per day. Please pray that the Lord will continue to grow this Spanish initiative. Carlos is busy right now working on translating the CARM Online Schools into Spanish for release in the next few months.
I also have been communicating with two individuals regarding starting CARM international initiatives in Portuguese and Arabic. Please pray that the Lord will provide individuals who are interested in running such initiatives. We are seriously praying about these opportunities and are looking for translators and/or donors who will support these efforts.
The other day, I went to one of the local universities here in Charlotte, NC, to do some evangelism. I was blessed to be able to talk to a Catholic guy named rdy for several minutes about the Gospel. He admitted that he had no assurance of his salvation and he thought that good works would earn him a place in heaven. Please pray that Ordy will truly trust Christ alone for his salvation apart from his good works.
HHowever, interestingly, we also got into a conversation with two Muslims (named Musa and Brittney) and ended up talking for about an hour and a half about salvation and the differences between Islam and Christianity. Our conversation was polite and respectful, but we seriously challenged these two young Muslims about whether they had certainty of their salvation. They admitted that they did not know where they would go when they died. They said it was up to Allah on judgment day to decide where a person goes. Anyhow, the conversation was an excellent time of evangelism and apologetics especially when one of the young people raised the question about whether Muhammad was found in the Bible in John 14. Since I had recently written an article on the topic (see: http://www.carm.org/does-john-14-16-predict-muhammad), I was able to address his questions and answer them. Please pray for Musa and Brittney.
I am also planning on going back to school in the next few months to work part-time on another Master’s degree focusing in New Testament and Christian origins. Though I have reading knowledge of Hebrew, I need to pick up New Testament (oine) Greek. I really want to have a better understanding of the background and history of the New Testament texts in order to do better ministry and reach more people with the Gospel. My hope and prayer, Lord-willing, is to possibly get a Ph.D. in New Testament one day. There is certainly quite a bit of research that needs to be done in the field of New Testament studies.
If you download this toolbar CARM gets about $.40. You don't have to use it. Just keep it for a week or two, check it out, and then delete it if you want. Get easy access to podcasts, videos, CARM articles, forums, chat (soon), and more at a click of a button. If you download it and use it for a few days, CARM gets a little donation from the toolbar developer. That way you get something and help support CARM -- for free! It isn't intrusive on your system and doesn't cause computer problems. I've been using it with absolutely no problems. It works in FireFox and Internet Explorer.
If that sounds good, then download and install it at http://carm.OurToolbar.com/ This is what it looks like (broken into two parts to fit on this page)
Love and Hate Mail
- "What a truly great site! I stumbled across CARM when looking for some Christian material on the net, specifically a clear explanation of what a Christian is. I am a great follower of Christian apologetics and have found your site a wealth of clear and logical defence of Christianity (and I've only spent an hour on there so far!!) Keep up the great work..." Dave
- "I so appreciate your hard work and dedication to defending the Gospel and spreading the Truth. I thoroughly enjoy reading and navigating your website, and it has definitely proven helpful to me in being prepared to defend the Truth myself. I don’t know why but I have such a burning passion to arm myself against Jehovah’s Witnesses and to learn more about their beliefs so that I am better equipped when face to face with one of them. Your website definitely helps me with that and offers advice for people like me who have a hard time articulating their thoughts and words. So I say, keep doing what you’re doing…..and thanks!" Mandy
- "I have just come across your website and would just like to say that I thought the testimonies in partcicular gave me a lot of encouragement. I couldn't understand why I have been feeling heavy-hearted and now realise that even well-meaning Christians can omit grace from their advice. Bob and Susie Edward's testimony was just what I needed to read this morning, it really spoke to me about God's grace and the reason for Jesus dying for us on the cross. Thank you for such a great website - it has restored my faith in God, and really does teacher us the gospel of grace and forgiveness." Alyson
- "I copied and sent your article on women pastors and elders to a church called Metro Praise it was a church I attended 2 years back and the pastor there has a 22 year old woman young adult pastor teaching on the pulpit and he "oversees" her I don't agree with him. Funny thing is, this pastor put me on to CARM, I learn about CARM through him. I know he likes to debate and will probably respond to your article. I pray for you and your ministry I commend you and your work for our lord Jesus Christ! God bless." Michael
- Hey Matt...I just wanted to email you and tell you how much I enjoy your zeal for truth. It is infectious to say the least. It is a good thing to know why we believe what we believe ! My wife and I used to frequent you chat site a couple years ago and I recently made great use of your info on Universalism while engaging some Universalists on my "You Tube" page. For what its worth.......Even though Universalists try to use scripture from various chapters and dig out hidden meanings in the bible there is only one overt confession of Universalism in the bible. It is where Satan says "surely, you will not die" Take care and keep on standing for truth ! Dave
- "I ended up at your web site by mistake when trying to find ******* to see if anyone new has received a "Burning Times Award". But now that I have been to your wonderfull web site I would like to nominate you for one. A "Burning Times Award"( which is not an award to be proud of) is usually given to a pollititian that makes a remark that goes against the First Amendment of The United States Constitution. Most of your website that I have seen so far does this. If you would like to learn the truth about some of the religions you are doing a great job misinforming others about or to learn more about the "Award" I would like to see you nominated..." Mel
- "You are an absolute idiot and have no idea what you are talking about and anyone who believes what you write is a fool."
- "So how come before religion the wicca was accepted as a form of of worship? Get your facts straight. MANY Wiccans worship the Lord AND the earth. The Lord made the earth so how can you post such nonsense?" Joanne
- "All of the information you have on Jehovah's Witnesses is incorrect. The Bible is the central source of their worship, not the Watchtower magazine. If you want to know the real truth for yourself then you need to study with one of them for more then a couple of months. How do you live with yourself knowing your spreading lies to people who already know the truth."
- "I was on your website and I dispise what you people are doing. Wicca is a religion much more tolerant than yours. I dont care if youre a christian, but when there are words against my brothers and sisteres, it pisses me off. I only hope that in the future people will finally see that YOUR kind is cruel FAKE. I am in shcock at how rude you are." Erin
- "Wow! There are so many errors in your web site pages I can't start to go into them. No matter which Christian church a person belongs to they will find mistaken statements. I'll bet you get remarks from every denomination. I will put you on my prayer list. You could be of great value if and when you get your facts straight. God bless." Richard
- "Please stop teaching that the commandments of God are no longer relevant. You are leading many astray and you will be judged by the Almighty." Matt
- "The error that I want to report is that your trinity doctrine is false and a heresy. There is only one God who is Lord Dt 6:4 not three. Jesus is that one Lord 1Tim 3:16, Col 2:9. Now if you want to use the word Elohim to promote a plurality with in the God of the jews.Then by default the plural form of Elohim is defined as Gods not one God. This is what you are going after more than one God. You may not admit it, yet I wouldnt expect you to confess that you believe in three gods. Your own teachings betray you.We one god beleivers know better, Matthew you worship a false set gods, a three headed monster and a scizophreic god. Trinity is the same a tritheism. There is no scripture that states trinity doctrine ,every verse that you use to support this heresy. is taken out of context."
15% off Bible Software
If you're serious about studying the Bible and what what is, in our opinion, the best Bible program available at 15% off, then get Logos Bible Software by clicking this link, http://www.logos.com/carm. You win because Logos will give you 15% off if you go through CARM. CARM wins, because Logos will donate a portion of every sale back to us. Logos wins, by spreading the Word, making more sales, and getting more people into better Bible study. By the way, we've used various free software programs. They work, but none of them approach the quality and depth offered by logos."
Support CARM. << Hey!, that is a clickable link!
We are asking that people help out with just $5 a month. That isn't much, but it is a great help to us. Think about this: CARM gets around 32,000 page views around 10,000 visitors every day. That is huge! Your $5 monthly support helps CARM to reach out that thousands of people a day! Is that worth such a small amount?
- Produce the Family Teaching Course designed to be used at the dinner table. It goes through the Bible and teaches doctrine, apologetics, Bible characters, Bible events, etc. Its designed to stop the huge amount of Christians from leaving their faith. Statistically, 80% of Christians raised in a Christian home and go to a Christian church lose their faith within two years of attending a secular college. We want to stop that by grounding them in the faith by going through this at home. Where else are they going to learn what they need to know?
- Convert the School of Theology into a video course for distribution at churches and homes.
- Teaching videos on multiple topics on evangelism, cults, the Bible, evolution, etc.
- Produce more online schools.
- Be able to write more on the various groups attacking the Christian faith.
- Produce inserts for Church bulletins.
- Produce evangelism tracts in English and other languages.
- Produce CARM in other languages with people in other countries heading up CARM in those countries.
Advertise with CARM
- This Newsletter goes out to more than 29,000 people. Want to advertise on it? If so, contact us at [email protected]. Its $100 per Newsletter Send. All ads must be approved by CARM.
- Also, we have locations available on the CARM site for advertising as well.
- Apologetics Dialogues
- CARM Radio
- Cut and Paste Information
- Discussion Boards
- Email and Responses
- Evidence and Answers
- Lost Books
- Objections and Answers
- Online Schools
- Preachers and Teachers
- Recommended Websites
- Research Links
- Responding to Critics
- Verses Examined - OT
- Verses Examined - NT
- Women in Ministry
- Women's Issues
- About Angels
- About Apologetics
- About Baptism
- About the Bible
- About Bible Verses
- About the Church
- About Christianity
- About Demons
- About Doctrine
- About End Times
- About Ethics
- About Evangelism
- About God
- About Heresies
- About The Holy Spirit
- About Jesus
- About Man
- About Marriage
- About the Occult
- About Pastors
- About People
- About Prayer
- About Philosophy
- About Religions
- About Salvation
- About Sanctification
- About Science
- About Sexuality
- About Sin
- About Theology
- Other Questions
- Skeptics Ask
Help CARM by Liking It!
Discount off of Logos Bible Program.
CARM highly recommends using the Logos Bible Research Program. It is what we use. It is the best in the world. Just go to http://www.logos.com/carm. Use the coupon code of CARM6.