Newsletter May 14, 2010
Slick and Quick
- ABNSAT.COM - Over the weekend, I went to Detroit, Michigan, and was on abnsat.com, a satellite TV based ministry that reaches out to Muslims and people of Middle Eastern descent who live here in the United States and in Canada. The viewership is probably in the hundreds of thousands.
Another Christian apologist named David Wood was there. He and I did three sessions of satellite TV for a total of about seven hours of taping. The topic was, of all things, atheism. Apparently they have been getting requests from their viewers to discuss the issue of atheism. Hence, they found the CARM website and asked if I would come on out.
ABNSAT is a great group of people who are able to connect with middle Easterners who are transplanted to America. They do shows in both English and Arabic. Anyway, if you're interested in checking them out, you have the web address.
- Writers and Researchers - CARM needs your help! We have hundreds of questions about cult groups and various issues but neither Ryan nor myself has the time to do all the research and writing. Therefore, CARM is looking for Writers and Researchers. This would be voluntary, unpaid.
- Writers - Writers would need to have a bachelors or higher in a theological degree. You'd be interviewed and if you pass, you'd obtain a bio page on CARM, be instructed on how to write the "CARM way", shown how to put articles on the site as you being the author. Think you've got what it takes? If so, here's a small test. 1. How many natures does Jesus have? 2. Is Jesus a man right now? 3. What is imputation? 4. What is the difference between justification and sanctification? Can you describe what the substitutionary atonement accomplished? If you don't know these things, you're probably not up to the level you need to be at for CARM. But, if you know these answers, then please pray about working with CARM and afterwards, if you still desire to do this, contact us at [email protected]. One more thing, you would need to agree to the CARM statement of Faith.
- Researchers - We are looking for individuals who would be interested in doing research projects for CARM. This would be a volunteer position. Your responsibilities would be to research and document information on various topics. You do not need to have a theological degree, but that would help. Your research would have to be well documented and, of course, we would verify your efforts until we are satisfied that we can trust your research and then we would simply adopt it as we write articles. You would work with myself, Ryan, and any potential writers for the CARM ministry. if you are interested, please pray about working with CARM and if you still desire to do this, contact us at [email protected].
- Editors for Schools - We need this ASAP. We have three online schools that are also in spiral-bound form. However, there are occasional typos in them. We are looking for some volunteers who can go through the schools (one or all) and edit them. This would entail receiving a Word document that you would keep on your computer (and promise not to distribute), that you would read, and to which you would make corrections. You would then send the document back to us. We need this quickly as another, big project is waiting on this. If interested, please contact us at [email protected].
- Salespeople - We are planning to hire salespeople, commission only, to go to churches and present the CARM online schools -- in book form. If you are seriously interested, please contact Ken at [email protected]. Again, only serious inquiries, please.
- Question about newsletter - Do you prefer the newsletter in this format or another? Would you prefer to get an email that links to the newsletter ON the CARM site or would you prefer to have it delivered via email? Please give us feedback at [email protected].
- Computers - CARM is always looking for spare computers. Since I was a computer tech for five years, fixing and building them is easy and enjoyable. If you have a spare computer you would like to donate to CARM, please let us know ([email protected]). We can give you a tax receipt if you need it.
I work out at a local gym. The owner is Christian and is gym is a great place of ministry. In fact, this owner gives people a lot of breaks -- and people have taken advantage of him. In fact, one guy was supposed to install a security system at the gym, took about 2 Grand for payment, did half the work and hasn't been back since. Jay is trying to be as patient as he can. Anyway, Jay has an ancient computer that is incredibly slow. I bought him a monitor because the old one was faded and had bad colors in it. Does anyone have a computer they'd like to donate? I can clean it up and give it to him.
If you just have a computer (or parts) you'd like to donate to CARM, we'd love to have them. I keep the office running with spare systems and occasionally when someone with low income needs a system, I set one up for them.
If you're interested, let us know at [email protected].&. Thanks.
- New Laptop Needed - I use a laptop at the radio station for research, Bible programs, etc., while I'm on the air. One of the other uses is to feed video of the show to ustream.tv so that people can watch it live and also watch it later since ustream.tv can record it for later showing. The Laptop is about three or four years old and has been working fine until a couple weeks ago when the sound feed on it started going bad. It still works; it's just poor quality, raspy, a little noisy, and I can't make it better (and I was a computer tech for five years). So, I'm putting the word out to see if anyone would like to contribute towards a new laptop for CARM. After some research it seems that decent ones are about $600-$1000. A new laptop would have to be able to run two web browsers, a bible program, and also feed to ustream.tv. So, it can't be the cheapest one out there. If anyone is interested in contributing towards a laptop, please let me know at [email protected]. Thanks.
- Facebook Like Button - If you go to the CARM website, and go to the bottom of the articles, you will notice a Facebook "like" button. If you see some articles that you particularly enjoy, and you have a Facebook account, you can click on the button at the bottom of the article. It will help with increasing CARM's popularity.
- The Garden Novel - Finally! I released the Garden Novel. It has been a huge labor or love and finally its out. If you like Christian fiction, then take a look. Here's what its about. "Mark is in his garden, grieving and depressed over the unexplained death of his son and without knowing it, is almost coaxed by a demon into committing suicide. But, at the last moment Sotare, an angel, rescues him and is later permitted to appear to Mark in the Garden. The two dialogue about God, life, death, good, evil, the spiritual realm, and the nature of truth. However, all is not well. The demons are watching and powerful evil forces are sent to kill and destroy those who are close to Mark and those who are praying for him. As Sotare teaches Mark, he is given answers to his questions -- but they do not come easily. He must face his greatest challenge in order to learn his greatest lesson. The battle over Mark unfolds in both the spiritual and physical worlds as angels are sent to battle against the evil forces that are seeking to destroy. True victory is never easy."
So, if it sounds interesting, check it out at http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-garden/10290484. We plan to release it on Amazon in the near future.
Here is what people are saying about it:
- Hey, Matt! I loved The Garden. I wept on the last chapter. I loved the various visions. I only wish my 11-year-old daughter could read this book but it would be too scary for her right now. My wife will read it next. I'll probably buy another copy to have a loaner.
- I finished reading “The Garden” Monday night. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It was a smooth page-turner for me. I started it Sat night and finished Mon night.
- I really liked The Garden. It was written very tastefully and the truth was evident. Thank you for putting in all this work and prayer and time.
- Faith and Reason Radio - We have moved the radio show one hour earlier to 5pm MST starting on May 2, 2010. We are making plans to expand the show to other stations.
- CARM Get Together - We are entertaining the idea of having a CARM get together somewhere in Nebraska or Missouri since that is the center of the U.S. We have a facebook page for comments. http://www.facebook.com/carm.org?v=wall&story_fbid=125224147494028
We are interested in knowing how many would consider attending if we had it say...in St. Louis, Missouri in July or August. I think that's the best place because it is central, has a large airport (which would mean cheaper airfare), etc.
To make it worth people's time and money, if we rented a hotel room, I could speak on a topic or two, we could have another speaker (maybe Bill McKeever of mrm.org). If that sounds like a good idea. A church would be better if someone knew of one in the area.
Same as Last Newsletter
- Things we need for CARM
- Drupal Expertise and/or Ecommerce System Integration - We need an expert who can take a look at the CARM website structure, the payment integration system (PayPal, authorize net), and make recommendations for improvements and/or provide a way to implement them. We want a user to be able to log into the site, make contributions (with or without logging into site), be able to sign up for schools from in and outside the login, be able to order from the store (with or without logging into site), be able to see their past orders, running donation amounts, etc. In addition, we would like to possibly integrate at a latter date the ability for such a person who has logged to be able to have favorites of CARM articles, a place to place notes, etc. There are a lot of drupal add-ons that available for implementation. This would be, of course, a paid gig. We could talk about what someone would charge for such an examination and recommendation. If you are interested please contact me at [email protected]. I'm collecting information to give to the Board of Directors. This position is depending upon their approval.
- Paypal Pro Integration - Basically, I need help/advice on how to implement Paypal Pro. Please contact me at [email protected].
- Women Pastors - I've written a short article for Christians to email to churches that have and/or affirm women pastors and elders. It is located at http://www.carm.org/email-churches-women-pastors. If you send a church the article, please let me know at [email protected] and include the web address where you sent it to, the city, and state of the church. I'll be putting up a list at http://www.carm.org/email-churches-women-pastors-list.
- Camera for Miapic.com - CARM's Spanish version has been up and running and Carlos who heads it up in Bogota, Columbia has need of a video camera so he can shoot videos in Spanish. We'll need around $1000 for a decent one that shoots to a Hard Drive. We're looking for donations to cover the cost. If you want to help out, please let us know at [email protected].
- New Chat Room - We now have a new chat room located at http://forums.carm.org/vbb/ustream.htm
- New Video Feed for Radio Show - We are now streaming the radio show live on http://forums.carm.org/vbb/ustream.htm from 5-6 PM, MST. Also, there are prerecorded shows you can check out if interested. Click on the link and you can see past shows. In addition, you can simply tune into the CARM home page when the show is on because we link it there during the show. We also have a toll free number to call during the show: 877-207-2276.
- New CARM store - it is released. Check it out at http://store.carm.org.
- Amazon Wish List - http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/2RL4ROV6EXVMO/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go.
- Prayer Support - If you would like to pray specifically for CARM, then please check out http://www.carm.org/christianity/prayer-ministry/carm-prayer-needs.
- Feedback and Suggestions - We have a feedback form for CARM now, so if you want to give us some feedback (we'd love to hear it), please go to http://www.carm.org/submit-feedback. We want to hear your ideas!
- Corrections Feedback - If you have a correction you want to see made on CARM we have a form for that too: http://www.carm.org/submit-correction.
- WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT! If you like what CARM does and want to support it, we have some options.
- Twitter - You can follow the CARM twitter stuff at https://twitter.com/carmorg. We post stuff throughout the day.
From Ryan Turner
- More Articles - I have spent the past few weeks busily writing more articles for CARM. I recently released a few new articles titled: Does the Gospel of Thomas belong in the New Testament, Frequently Asked Questions about the Gospel of Thomas, and Myths about the Lost Gospels of the New Testament. Also, I have helped one of our new CARM writers, Jeremy Butler, release his articles on the Baha’i faith. Please see the What’s New section of CARM to read these new articles.
- Evangelism on Campus - A few weeks ago I went out to a local campus here in Charlotte, NC to do some more evangelism. My friend and I had a quite interesting conversation with three young men (Anicet, Eddy, and Gordy) from Africa. Two of the three guys were Catholic (Eddy and Gordy). My friend and I shared the Law and the Gospel with these men and they were quite receptive and interested. I was actually quite relieved to not have to use apologetics in this conversation since these guys were captivated by what we were saying. They sincerely thanked us for sharing the Gospel with them. We left them each with a solid Gospel tract from www.evantell.org and encouraged them to place their trust in Christ. I hope and pray that they each place their trust in Christ alone for their salvation.
- Spanish Update - Our Spanish website (www.miapic.com) is continuing to grow in content and number of visitors per day. We are now starting to see around 750 to 800 unique visitors per day. Please pray that the Lord will raise up funding, volunteers, and prayer warriors to support this valuable ministry. Carlos Garbiras, our translator, is busily translating the CARM Online School of Theology into Spanish. We should have that released in a few months.
If you download this toolbar CARM gets about $.40.. You don't have to use it. Just keep it for a week or two, check it out, and then delete it if you want. Get easy access to podcasts, videos, CARM articles, forums, chat (soon), and more at a click of a button. If you download it and use it for a few days, CARM gets a little donation from the toolbar developer. That way you get something and help support CARM -- for free! It isn't intrusive on your system and doesn't cause computer problems. I've been using it with absolutely no problems. It works in FireFox and Internet Explorer.
If that sounds good, then download and install it at http://carm.ourtoolbar.com. This is what it looks like (broken into two parts to fit on this page)
Love and Hate Mail
- Hi there! I just wanted to tell you how excited I am to have found your site! I have always wanted to know exactly what the significance was of Jesus being referred to as “the firstborn.” I knew He was not born as He is the Creator, but did not know how to reconcile this personally nor how to present its true significance to a Jehovah's Witness. But your explanation was so concrete, so completely Biblical (I now also understand what letting Scripture explain Scripture means! Woo hoo! This has been a very "revelational" night for me as a Christian!) and so easily understood! Thank you so much for following the call of Christ upon your lives...you are educating believers and thereby equipping us to fight the good fight and to bring the unchanging truth to a lost world.
- I just wanted to write and tell you thank you for your site and the documentation that you offer on your website. I live in St. George, Utah and was reciently asked by some fellow coworkers why there is so much opposition against the Mormon Church when they are basically alike and that they are also Christians. I quickly said a prayer asking for the Lord to provide me with the correct answers. The conversation between myself and this girl have gone on for two days. I was telling her what we as Christians believe and what the Mormons believe. I think the funniest thing is that the Mormons get upset when you say families aren't forever and that there is either heaven or hell and not three kingdoms of heaven. I find it very hard for myself to wrap my mind around their beliefs because it is so off the wall and bazaar. I just can't believe that they have so many members that believe all the lies and that they don't actually investigate there beliefs to prove the validity of it all. Again I just want to thank you for providing the information and doing the research and posting on your site for others to use as a tool. Jessica
- Just wanted to comment that I LOVE YOUR SITE! Thank you so much for doing what you do and taking the time to reach others! This is truly amazing. I have notes on notes going, and have been on your site for about two hours. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! God Bless, Allison
- CARM, I thank God for your ministry and for those who like you are reaching out in love to Roman Catholics with the truth of God's Word….May God continue to bless your ministry, Marlene
- are you sure that what you're talking about other religion is true and correct? you are just basing it on what you have read and heard. you matt slick is just like Ely Soriano here in the philippines.. if other religions have false doctrines what makes you think that you know it all? you feel like you have the right to write about the other religions. why dont you write here whats wrong about CARM! you cant possibly do that dont you? because you are afraid that you are far worst!! if other doctrines of other religions are form the devil, well in your case YOU and CARM are from the devil! because it is not the work of God to criticize others and lie about them! Krizie
- You christians are so dumb, too believe GOD made earth, do you even know what GOD is??? MALE/FEMALE/SHEMALE you just dont know, and your answers are kind of rediculious, reason being, you dont know the answers too my questions... yeah mans carbon filing is infallible, so is every other man/female, including YOU... My point being is.. if GOD is any type of matter, animal, person, mammal, anything, something had to make it, it don't just show up out of no-where, use your head.. or does the BIBLE influence you that you have no brains too believe about cells and living organisms???? Rob
- Your site is VERY deceptive. You are at the least sneeky, slimy, like a snake. God Bless, Susan
15% off Bible Software
If you're serious about studying the Bible and what what is, in our opinion, the best Bible program available at 15% off, then get Logos Bible Software by clicking this link, http://www.logos.com/carm. You win because Logos will give you 15% off if you go through CARM. CARM wins, because Logos will donate a portion of every sale back to us. Logos wins, by spreading the Word, making more sales, and getting more people into better Bible study. By the way, we've used various free software programs. They work, but none of them approach the quality and depth offered by logos."
Support CARM. << Hey!, that is a clickable link!
We are asking that people help out with just $5 a month. That isn't much, but it is a great help to us. Think about this: CARM gets around 32,000 page views around 10,000 visitors every day. That is huge! Your $5 monthly support helps CARM to reach out that thousands of people a day! Is that worth such a small amount?
- Produce the Family Teaching Course designed to be used at the dinner table. It goes through the Bible and teaches doctrine, apologetics, Bible characters, Bible events, etc. Its designed to stop the huge amount of Christians from leaving their faith. Statistically, 80% of Christians raised in a Christian home and go to a Christian church lose their faith within two years of attending a secular college. We want to stop that by grounding them in the faith by going through this at home. Where else are they going to learn what they need to know?
- Convert the School of Theology into a video course for distribution at churches and homes.
- Teaching videos on multiple topics on evangelism, cults, the Bible, evolution, etc.
- Produce more online schools.
- Be able to write more on the various groups attacking the Christian faith.
- Produce inserts for Church bulletins.
- Produce evangelism tracts in English and other languages.
- Produce CARM in other languages with people in other countries heading up CARM in those countries.
Advertise with CARM
- This Newsletter goes out to more than 29,000 people. Want to advertise on it? If so, contact us at [email protected]. Its $100 per Newsletter send. All ads must be approved by CARM.
- Also, we have locations available on the CARM site for advertising.
- Apologetics Dialogues
- CARM Radio
- Cut and Paste Information
- Discussion Boards
- Email and Responses
- Evidence and Answers
- Lost Books
- Objections and Answers
- Online Schools
- Preachers and Teachers
- Recommended Websites
- Research Links
- Responding to Critics
- Verses Examined - OT
- Verses Examined - NT
- Women in Ministry
- Women's Issues
- About Angels
- About Apologetics
- About Baptism
- About the Bible
- About Bible Verses
- About the Church
- About Christianity
- About Demons
- About Doctrine
- About End Times
- About Ethics
- About Evangelism
- About God
- About Heresies
- About The Holy Spirit
- About Jesus
- About Man
- About Marriage
- About the Occult
- About Pastors
- About People
- About Prayer
- About Philosophy
- About Religions
- About Salvation
- About Sanctification
- About Science
- About Sexuality
- About Sin
- About Theology
- Other Questions
- Skeptics Ask
Help CARM by Liking It!
Discount off of Logos Bible Program.
CARM highly recommends using the Logos Bible Research Program. It is what we use. It is the best in the world. Just go to http://www.logos.com/carm. Use the coupon code of CARM6.