The Queen James Bible, the Gay Bible
by Matt Slick
The Queen James Bible, also known as the Gay Bible, is a new assault on biblical orthodoxy and sexual purity. This is to be expected in a world of moral relativism. In it, the 1769 King James Bible has been reproduced with only a very few select verses altered - the ones that relate to homosexuality. Those verses are listed below and analyzed. I hope you will see that the Queen James Bible is a perversion of the original text and is the result of obvious prejudices against the original Hebrew and Greek texts in order to make homosexual practices appear acceptable.
The interlinear citations are taken from two sources. An interlinear is a listing of the original languages that is reproduced from the most ancient and best manuscripts, with English translations under it. This way, the reader can see for himself what the original says.
- Hebrew Interlinear Quotations are from van der Merwe, Christo. The Lexham Hebrew-English Interlinear Bible. Logos Bible Software, 2004.
- Greek Interlinear Quotations are from the Aland, B., Aland, K., Black, M., Martini, C. M., Metzger, B. M., & Wikgren, A. (1993, c1979). The Greek New Testament (4th ed.) (410). Federal Republic of Germany: United Bible Societies.
The editors of the Gay Bible have stated the following:
"Most English Bible translations that actively condemn homosexuality have based themselves on the King James Version and have erroneously adapted its words to support their own agenda. We wanted to return to the clean source and start there."1
I'm glad they acknowledge that most translations condemn homosexuality. But, the annonymous editors of the QJV changed the translations, reinterpreted them, and made them say the opposite of what the original languages state. It says on page one of the QJV: "The Queen James Bible is based on The King James Bible, edited to prevent homophobic misinterpretation." Edit they did; translate they did not.
Are they really going to maintain that basically all translators have gotten it wrong throughout the centuries and that they, the annonymous editors2, got it right? It is easy to make assertions while you hid behind anonymity. What are they afraid of if their edits are the right ones?
Let's take a look at the verses that deal with homosexuality but comparing the KJV and the QJV and providing the original text for your examination.
|Verse||King James Version||Queen James Version |
Green is altered text.
Green with strikethrough is removed text
Red is addition of words not found in original text
|Gen. 19:5 ||"And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? Bring them out unto us, that we may know them." (KJV)||"And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? Bring them out unto us, that we may rape and humiliate them." (QJV)|
|Lev. 18:22 ||"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination." (KJV)||"Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind in the temple of Molech: it is an abomination." (QJV)|
|Lev. 20:13 ||"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." (KJV)||"If a man also lie with mankind in the temple of Molech, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." (QJV)|
|Rom. 1:26 || |
"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections or even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature."5 (KJV)
|"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections Their women did change their natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, left of the natural use of the woman, burned in ritual lust, one toward another; (QJV)|
|Rom. 1:27 ||"And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.||"Men with men working that which is pagan and unseemly. For this cause God gave the idolators up unto vile affections, receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet." (QJV)|
|1 Cor. 6:9 ||"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, (KJV)||"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor morally weak, nor promiscuous, (QJV)|
|1 Cor. 6:10 ||"Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." (KJV)||"Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." (QJV) (No Change)|
|1 Tim. 1:10||"For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine; (KJV)||"For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves, with mankind (text is removed in QJV) for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine." (QJV)|
|Jude 1:7||"Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire." (KJV)||"Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after nonhuman flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire." (QJV)|
See Related Articles
- What does the Bible say about homosexuality?
- Christianity and Homosexuality
- Homosexuals are born that way. Therefore it is natural and good.
- Should homosexuals, gays, and lesbians be put to death?
- Leviticus18:22, 20:13, homosexuality and not being under Old Testament Law
- Is saying homosexuality is a sin being homophobic?
- Statistics on the percentage of the population that are homosexual and lesbian
- Statistics on HIV/AIDS and health related issues
- Statistics on HIV/AIDS and its financial impact
- Statistics on HIV/AIDS and percentage of population infected
- Statistics on promiscuity among homosexuals
- 1. http://queenjamesbible.com/gay-bible/
- 2. I emailed them on 12/25/2012, via the contact link on the qeenjamesbible.com website asking for a list of their editors.
- 3. Strong, J. (1996). The exhaustive concordance of the Bible : Showing every word of the text of the common English version of the canonical books, and every occurence of each word in regular order. (electronic ed.) (H3045). Ontario: Woodside Bible Fellowship.
- 4. .ibid.
- 5. The printed book form of this verse is identical to the text above. The website, queenjamesbible.com, has the word "their" added to it so it reads, "...into that which is against their nature."
- 6. http://queenjamesbible.com/gay-bible/
- 7. Zodhiates, Spiros. The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament. electronic ed. Chattanooga, TN: AMG Publishers, 2000.
- 8. Swanson, James. Dictionary of Biblical Languages With Semantic Domains: Greek (New Testament). electronic ed. Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997.
- 9. .ibid.
- 10. Louw, Johannes P., and Eugene Albert Nida. Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament: Based on Semantic Domains. electronic ed. of the 2nd edition. New York: United Bible Societies, 1996.
- 11. Balz, Horst Robert, and Gerhard Schneider. Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans, 1990-.
- 12. http://queenjamesbible.com/gay-bible/
- Apologetics Dialogues
- CARM Radio
- Cut and Paste Information
- Discussion Boards
- Email and Responses
- Evidence and Answers
- Lost Books
- Objections and Answers
- Online Schools
- Preachers and Teachers
- Recommended Websites
- Research Links
- Responding to Critics
- Verses Examined - OT
- Verses Examined - NT
- Women in Ministry
- Women's Issues
- About Angels
- About Apologetics
- About Baptism
- About the Bible
- About Bible Verses
- About the Church
- About Christianity
- About Demons
- About Doctrine
- About End Times
- About Ethics
- About Evangelism
- About God
- About Heresies
- About The Holy Spirit
- About Jesus
- About Man
- About Marriage
- About the Occult
- About Pastors
- About People
- About Prayer
- About Philosophy
- About Religions
- About Salvation
- About Sanctification
- About Science
- About Sexuality
- About Sin
- About Theology
- Other Questions
- Skeptics Ask
- Why write about homosexuality?
- Is CARM homophobic?
- The battle over words
- Christianity and homosexuality
- The Spiritual side of homosexuality
- How does homosexual marriage effect me personally?
- How would gay marriage harm anyone?
- Statistics and health related issues
- Statistics on HIV/AIDS financial impact
- Statistics on homosexual promiscuity
Help CARM by Liking It!
Discount off of Logos Bible Program.
CARM highly recommends using the Logos Bible Research Program. It is what we use. It is the best in the world. Just go to http://www.logos.com/carm. Use the coupon code of CARM6.