Introduction, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114
|Translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali||Translated by Hilali Khan|
|Surah 44 - Smoke
With the Name of Allah, the Merciful Benefactor, The Merciful Redeemer
2. By the Book that makes things clear -
3. We sent it down during a Blessed Night: for We (ever) wish to warn (against Evil).
4. In the (Night) is made distinct every affair of wisdom,
5. By command, from Our Presence. For We (ever) send (revelations),
6. As Mercy from thy Lord: for He hears and knows (all things);
7. The Lord of the heavens and the earth and all between them, if ye (but) have an assured faith.
8. There is no god but He: It is He Who gives life and gives death - The Lord and Cherisher to you and your earliest ancestors.
9. Yet they play about in doubt.
10. Then watch thou for the Day that the sky will bring forth a kind of smoke (or mist) plainly visible,
11. Enveloping the people: this will be a Penalty Grievous.
12. (They will say:) “Our Lord! Remove the Penalty from us, for we do really believe!”
13. How shall the message be (effectual) for them, seeing that an Apostle explaining things clearly has (already) come to them -
14. Yet they turn away from him and say: “Tutored (by others), a man possessed!”
15. We shall indeed remove the Penalty for a while, (but) truly ye will revert (to your ways).
16. One day We shall seize you with a mighty onslaught: We will indeed (then) exact Retribution!
17. We did, before them, try the people of Pharaoh: there came to them an apostle most honourable,
18. Saying: “Restore to me the Servants of Allah: I am to you an apostle worthy of all trust;
19. “And be not arrogant as against Allah: for I come to you with authority manifest.
20. “For me, I have sought safety with my Lord and your Lord, against your injuring me.
21. “If ye believe me not, at least keep yourselves away from me.”
22. (But they were aggressive:) then he cried to his Lord: “These are indeed a people given to sin.”
23. (The reply came:) “March forth with My Servants by night: for ye are sure to be pursued.
24. “And leave the sea as a furrow (divided): for they are a host (destined) to be drowned.”
25. How many were the gardens and springs they left behind,
26. And corn-fields and noble buildings,
27. And wealth (and conveniences of life), wherein they had taken such delight!
28. Thus (was their end)! And We made other people inherit (those things)!
29. And neither heaven nor earth shed a tear over them: nor were they given a respite (again).
30. We did deliver aforetime the Children of Israel from humiliating Punishment,
31. Inflicted by Pharaoh, for he was arrogant (even) among inordinate transgressors.
32. And We chose them aforetime above the nations, knowingly,
33. And granted them Signs in which there was a manifest trial
34. As to these (Quraish), they say forsooth:
35. “There is nothing beyond our first death, and we shall not be raised again.
36. “Then bring (back) our forefathers, if what ye say is true!”
37. What! Are they better than the people of Tubba and those who were before them? We destroyed them because they were guilty of sin.
38. We created not the heavens, the earth, and all between them, merely in (idle) sport:
39. We created them not except for just ends: but most of them do not understand.
40. Verily the Day of sorting out is the time appointed for all of them -
41. The Day when no protector can avail his client in aught, and no help can they receive,
42. Except such as receive Allah’s Mercy: for He is Exalted in Might, Most Merciful.
43. Verily the tree of Zaqqum
44. Will be the food of the Sinful -
45. Like molten brass; it will boil in their insides.
46. Like the boiling of scalding water.
47. A voice will cry: “Seize ye him and drag him into the midst of the Blazing Fire!
48. “Then pour over his head the Penalty of Boiling Water,
49. “Taste thou (this)! Truly wast thou mighty, full of honour!
50. “Truly this is what ye used to doubt!”
51. As to the Righteous (they will be) in a position of Security,
52. Among Gardens and Springs;
53. Dressed in fine silk and in rich brocade, they will face each other;
54. So; and We shall join them to Companions with beautiful, big, and lustrous eyes.
55. There can they call for every kind of fruit in peace and security;
56. Nor will they there taste Death, except the first death; and He will preserve them from the Penalty of the Blazing Fire -
57. As a Bounty from thy Lord! That will be the supreme achievement!
58. Verily, We have made this (Qur’an) easy, in thy tongue, in order that they may give heed.
59. So wait thou and watch; for they (too) are waiting."
|44. Surah Ad-Dukhan (The Smoke)
[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'an and none but Allah (Alone) knows their meanings].
2. By the manifest Book (this Qur'an) that makes things clear,
3. We sent it (this Qur'an) down on a blessed night [(i.e. night of Qadr, Surah No: 97) in the month of Ramadan,, the 9th month of the Islamic calendar]. Verily, We are ever warning [mankind that Our Torment will reach those who disbelieve in Our Oneness of Lordship and in Our Oneness of worship].
4. Therein (that night) is decreed every matter of ordainments.
5. Amran (i.e. a Command or this Qur'an or the Decree of every matter) from Us. Verily, We are ever sending (the Messengers),
6. (As) a Mercy from your Lord. Verily! He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower.
7. The Lord of the heavens and the earth and all that is between them, if you (but) have a faith with certainty.
8. La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He). It is He Who gives life and causes death, your Lord and the Lord of your fore-fathers.
9. Nay! They play in doubt.
10. Then wait you for the Day when the sky will bring forth a visible smoke.
11. Covering the people, this is a painful torment.
12. (They will say): "Our Lord! Remove the torment from us, really we shall become believers!"
13. How can there be for them an admonition (at the time when the torment has reached them), when a Messenger explaining things clearly has already come to them.
14. Then they had turned away from him (Messenger Muhammad) and said: "One (Muhammad) taught (by a human being), a madman!"
15. Verily, We shall remove the torment for a while. Verily! You will revert.
16. On the Day when We shall seize you with the greatest grasp. Verily, We will exact retribution.
17. And indeed We tried before them Fir'aun's (Pharaoh) people, when there came to them a noble Messenger [i.e. Musa (Moses)],
18. Saying: "Restore to me the slaves of Allah (i.e. the Children of Israel). Verily! I am to you a Messenger worthy of all trust,
19. "And exalt not (yourselves) against Allah. Truly, I have come to you with a manifest authority.
20. "And truly, I seek refuge in my Lord and your Lord, lest you stone me (or call me a sorcerer or kill me).
21. "But if you believe me not, then keep away from me and leave me alone."
22. (But they were aggressive), so he [Musa (Moses)] called upon his Lord (saying): "These are indeed the people who are Mujrimun (disbelievers, polytheists, sinners, criminals, etc.)."
23. (Allah said): "Depart you with My slaves by night. Surely, you will be pursued.
24. "And leave the sea as it is (quiet and divided). Verily, They are a host to be drowned."
25. How many of gardens and springs do they [Fir'aun's (Pharaoh) people] left.
26. And green crops (fields etc.) and goodly places,
27. And comforts of life wherein they used to take delight!
28. Thus (it was)! And We made other people inherit them (i.e. We made the Children of Israel to inherit the kingdom of Egypt).
29. And the heavens and the earth wept not for them, nor were they given a respite.
30. And indeed We saved the Children of Israel from the humiliating torment,
31. From Fir'aun (Pharaoh); Verily! He was arrogant and was of the Musrifun (those who transgress beyond bound in spending and other things and commit great sins).
32. And We chose them (the Children of Israel) above the 'Alamin (mankind, and jinns) [during the time of Musa (Moses)] with knowledge,
33. And granted them signs in which there was a plain trial.
34. Verily, these (Quraish) people are saying:
35. "There is nothing but our first death, and we shall not be resurrected.
36. "Then bring back our fore-fathers, if you speak the truth!"
37. Are they better or the people of Tubba' and those before them? We destroyed them because they were indeed Mujrimun (disbelievers, polytheists, sinners, criminals, etc.).
38. And We created not the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, for mere play,
39. We created them not except with truth (i.e. to examine and test those who are obedient and those who are disobedient and then reward the obedient ones and punish the disobedient ones), but most of them know not.
40. Verily, the Day of Judgement (when Allah will judge between the creatures) is the time appointed for all of them,
41. The Day when Maulan (a near relative) cannot avail Maulan (a near relative) in aught, and no help can they receive,
42. Except him on whom Allah has Mercy. Verily, He is the All-Mighty, the Most Merciful.
43. Verily, the tree of Zaqqum,
44. Will be the food of the sinners,
45. Like boiling oil, it will boil in the bellies,
46. Like the boiling of scalding water.
47. (It will be said) "Seize him and drag him into the midst of blazing Fire,
48. "Then pour over his head the torment of boiling water,
49. "Taste you (this)! Verily, you were (pretending to be) the mighty, the generous!
50. "Verily! This is that whereof you used to doubt!"
51. Verily! The Muttaqun (pious), will be in place of Security (Paradise).
52. Among Gardens and Springs;
53. Dressed in fine silk and (also) in thick silk, facing each other,
54. So (it will be), and We shall marry them to Houris (female fair ones) with wide, lovely eyes.
55. They will call therein for every kind of fruit in peace and security;
56. They will never taste death therein except the first death (of this world), and He will save them from the torment of the blazing Fire,
57. As a Bounty from your Lord! That will be the supreme success!
58. Certainly, We have made this (Qur'an) easy in your tongue, in order that they may remember.
59. Wait then (O Muhammad); Verily, they (too) are waiting.