What does Christian Science Teach?
The following doctrines are referenced out of the primary Christian Science work, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures (S&H), by Mary Baker Eddy. It is supposed to be a companion to the Bible. Science and Health together with the Bible are called the Pastor of Christian Science.
- God is infinite...and there is no other power or source, S&H 471:18.
- God is Universal Principle, S&H 331:18-19
- God cannot indwell a person, S&H 336:19-20
- God is the only intelligence in the universe, including man S&H 330:11-12
- God is Mind, S&H 330:20-21; 469:13
- God is the Father-Mother, S&H 331:30; 332:4
- The Trinity is Life, Truth, and Love, S&H 331:26
- Belief in the traditional doctrine of the Trinity is polytheism, S&H 256:9-11
- Christ is the spiritual idea of sonship S&H 331:30-31
- Jesus was not the Christ, S&H 333:3-15; 334:3
- "Jesus Christ is not God, as Jesus himself declared..." S&H 361:12-13
- Jesus did not reflect the fullness of God, S&H 336:20-21
- Jesus did not die, S&H 45:32-46:3
- The Holy Spirit is divine science, S&H 331:31
- There is no devil, S&H 469:13-17
- There is no sin, S&H 447:24
- Evil and good are not real, S&H 330:25-27; 470:9-14
- Matter, sin, and sickness are not real, but only illusions," S&H 335:7-15; 447:27-28.
- Life is not material or organic, " S&H 83:21
- The sacrifice of Jesus was not sufficient to cleanse from sin," S&H 25:6.
- True healings are the result of true belief, " S&H 194:6"
- Additionally, Christian Scientists prefer not to use doctors, medicine, or immunizations. Christian Science Practitioners are used to help people through the false reality of illness.
- Proper prayer and training are employed to battle the "non-reality" of illness.
- They have no ordinances like the Lord's Supper or baptism.
- Church services are interspersed with Bible reading and readings from Science and Health.
- Mary Baker Eddy is highly regarded as a revelator of God's word.
This article is also available in: Español
- Apologetics Dialogues
- CARM Radio
- Cut and Paste Information
- Discussion Boards
- Email and Responses
- Evidence and Answers
- Lost Books
- Objections and Answers
- Online Schools
- Preachers and Teachers
- Recommended Websites
- Research Links
- Responding to Critics
- Verses Examined - OT
- Verses Examined - NT
- Women in Ministry
- Women's Issues
- About Angels
- About Apologetics
- About Baptism
- About the Bible
- About Bible Verses
- About the Church
- About Christianity
- About Demons
- About Doctrine
- About End Times
- About Ethics
- About Evangelism
- About God
- About Heresies
- About The Holy Spirit
- About Jesus
- About Man
- About Marriage
- About the Occult
- About Pastors
- About People
- About Prayer
- About Philosophy
- About Religions
- About Salvation
- About Sanctification
- About Science
- About Sexuality
- About Sin
- About Theology
- Other Questions
- Skeptics Ask
Help CARM by Liking It!
15% Discount off of Logos Bible Program.
CARM highly recommends using the Logos Bible Research Program. It is what we use. It is the best in the world. Just go to http://www.logos.com/carm. Use the coupon code of CARM6.