by Matt Slick
No, God will not save everyone. The Bible tells us there are those who go to eternal punishment. Let’s take a look.
- “And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life,” (Matt. 25:46).
- “And these will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,” (2 Thess. 1:9).
- “And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; and they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name,” (Rev. 14:11).
- “And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever,” (Rev. 20:10).
As you can see, there are people who go to hell. But why? The reason is that they have not trusted in Jesus as their Savior so as to be delivered from the righteous judgment of God. Consider the following:
- God is holy and his eyes are too pure look upon evil (Habakkuk 1:13).
- He commands everyone everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30).
- He wants people to turn from their sins and come to repentance (2 Pet. 3:9).
- There is no other name under heaven by which anyone can be saved, other than Jesus (Acts 4:12).
Because of these truths, everyone needs to trust in what Christ has done on the cross. They need to receive Jesus (John 1:12) because he is the only way to be delivered from the righteous judgment of God. Because people do not turn to him, they will face the eternal consequences.
Therefore, there will be people in hell because they have not trusted in the work of Jesus, who is God in flesh (John 1:1, 14; Colossians 2:9), who bore our sins in his body and the cross (1 Pet. 2:24), who died on the cross and rose from the dead three days later (1 Cor. 15:1-4). Jesus did everything that is necessary. This is why we are made right before God by faith and not by anything that we do (Ephesians 2:8-9; Romans 5:1).
So, for all who do not trust in Christ to deliver them from their sins on the Day of Judgment, they will go to hell.