by Matt Slick
When we ask whether or not Jesus behaved like God, we are asking an interesting question. What does it mean to behave like God? Initially, we might say that it is doing that which is extraordinary and/or the miraculous. And, that is just what we find with Jesus. Also, we find that Jesus spoke with great authority and made some incredible claims about himself. If You read through the Gospels, you will quickly find that he spoke with great authority on a level equal to God.
Following is a list of some of the miracles that Jesus performed as well as some of the things that Jesus said about himself. Through them, I hope that you find sufficient evidence which states that Jesus not only behaved like God by accomplishing many miracles but also claimed to be God.
Jesus performed miracles
- Jesus changed water into wine at the wedding of Cana (John 2:1-11).
- He healed the royal official's son (John 4:46-54).
- He healed the paralytic (Mark 2:1-12).
- He healed the woman who could not straighten up (Luke 13:10-13).
- He healed a leper (Matthew 8:1-4).
- He healed the centurion's servant (Luke 7:1-10).
- He healed 10 lepers (Luke 17:11-19).
- He healed man born blind (Mark 8:22-26).
- He raised Jairus' daughter from the dead (Mark 5:21-24, 35-43).
- He raised Lazarus from the dead (John 11:1-44).
- He healed the deaf (Mark 7:32-35).
- He caste out demons (Mark 1:23-26).
- He forgave sins (Mark 2:5).
- He caused the disciples to catch a large number of fish (Luke 5:3-10).
- He calmed a storm (Matthew 8:23-27).
- He walked on water (Matthew 14:22-23).
- He fed 5000 men and their families with five loaves of barley and two fish (Matthew 14:16-21).
- He fed 4000 men and their families with seven loaves of bread and a few fish (Matthew 15:29-39).
- He rose from the dead (1 Corinthians 15:1-4; Matthew 28: 1-15).
- He rose into heaven (Acts 1:9-11).
Jesus speaks authoritatively about himself
- Jesus said that he was the way the truth and the life and that no one comes to God the Father but by him (John 14:6).
- He said that he would be with the disciples always, everywhere (Matthew 28:18-20).
- He claimed preexistence when he said he was with God the Father before the world was created (John 17:5).
- He said he was the one who gave eternal life (John 10:27-28).
- He said that he alone revealed God the Father to people (Matthew 11:27; Luke 10:22).
- He said come to him and he would give people rest (Matthew 11:28).
- He said he was the bread that came down from heaven (John 6:51).
- He claimed authority to forgive sins (Matthew 9:4-8).
- He claimed to be the judge of mankind (Matthew 25:31:-33).
- He prophesied his own resurrection (Matthew 17:22-23).
- He prophesied his own return in the sky and the judgment that follows (Matthew 24:30-51).
- He claim to be God by citing the divine name and applying it to himself (John 8:24, 58).