by Matt Slick
- Exodus 4:6, "The LORD furthermore said to him, 'Now put your hand into your bosom.' So he put his hand into his bosom, and when he took it out, behold, his hand was leprous like snow."
- Exodus 4:11, "And the Lord said to him, 'Who has made man’s mouth? Or who makes him dumb or deaf, or seeing or blind? Is it not I, the Lord?'"
- Numbers 12: 9-10, "So the anger of the LORD burned against them and He departed. 10 But when the cloud had withdrawn from over the tent, behold, Miriam was leprous, as white as snow. As Aaron turned toward Miriam, behold, she was leprous."
This might be a shock to people to see that God gives people different kinds of illness. But, God has his reasons. Usually, it is for discipline and the consequence of rebellion against him. He disciplines those whom he loves (Hebrews 12:6; Isaiah 19:22) and his discipline sometimes takes various forms.
On the other hand, we know that God also heals. There are many verses that demonstrate this.
- Deuteronomy 32:39, "See now that I, I am He, And there is no god besides Me; It is I who put to death and give life. I have wounded and it is I who heal, and there is no one who can deliver from My hand."
- Psalm 103:2–4, "Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits; 3 who pardons all your iniquities, who heals all your diseases; 4 who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion."
- Psalm 146:8, "The LORD opens the eyes of the blind; The LORD raises up those who are bowed down; The LORD loves the righteous."
- Mark 3:5, "After looking around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, He said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored."
- Mark 10:51-52, "And answering him, Jesus said, 'What do you want Me to do for you?' And the blind man said to Him, 'Rabboni, I want to regain my sight!' 52 And Jesus said to him, 'Go; your faith has made you well.' Immediately he regained his sight and began following Him on the road."