Jump to navigation
- BIBLE (Correct): The cross is where Jesus bore our sins in His body (1 Pet. 2:24) and where He removed the certificate of debt (Col. 2:14).
The Greek word for cross is stauros. It can mean an upright stake, but it can also mean the cross. Though some say that Jesus died on a vertical stake and not a cross, when we look at what Thomas said to Jesus after the resurrection, we find he mentioned the nails in Jesus' hands--that’s two nails, one for each hand, hence, an outstretched position where the hands were to Jesus’ left and right with one nail in each.
- “The other disciples therefore were saying to him, “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them, “Unless I shall see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe,” (John 20:25).
- CS: Jesus went to the cross and died a physical death. But it is not a place of atonement for actual sins because . . .
- “Christ came to destroy the belief of sin,” (S&H, p. 473).
- “The real cross, which Jesus bore up the hill of grief, was the world's hatred of Truth and Love,” (S&H, p. 50).
- ISLAM: Denies that Jesus died on the cross. Instead, Allah made someone to look like Jesus and that man was crucified.
- “And for claiming that they killed the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, the messenger of God. In fact, they never killed him, they never crucified him--they were made to think that they did. All factions who are disputing in this matter are full of doubt concerning this issue. They possess no knowledge; they only conjecture. For certain, they never killed him,” (Quran 4:157).
- JW: Jesus did not die on a cross but on a stake, Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985, p. 89-90. The cross is a pagan symbol, Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985, p. 90-92.
- “Thus the weight of the evidence indicates that Jesus died on an upright stake and not on the traditional cross,” (Reasoning from the Scriptures, p. 90, par. 1, Cross).
- “If you belong to one of Christendom’s churches, did the church ever tell you that the cross is a pagan symbol? If it did not, it withheld the truth from you,” (Watchtwoer, 2/11/68, p. 93, The Cross is of Pagan Origin).
- LDS: Jesus died on the cross but that is not the true place of his atonement.
- “His [Jesus] great suffering was before he ever was placed upon the cross. It was in the Garden of Gethsemane that the blood oozed from the pores of his body . . . That is where he bled from every pore in his body,” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation 1:130).
- “It was in Gethsemane, on the slopes of the Mount of Olives, that Jesus made his perfect atonement by the shedding of his blood-more so than on the cross,” (BYU Professor Robert J. Matthews, A Bible! A Bible! p. 282).