Jump to navigation
- BIBLE (Correct): There is only one God (Is. 43:10, 44:6, 8, 45:5) in all existence and in all time (Ps. 90:2). God is a trinity of three distinct persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) and not three gods.
- CS: God is Mind, (S&H 330:20-21, 469:13), who is the Father-Mother, (331:30, 332:4), and is the Universal Principle, (331:18-19), and cannot indwell a person, (336:19-20). “The Christian Science God is universal, eternal, divine love, which changeth not and causeth no evil, disease, nor death,” (S&H, p. 140).
- “The Christian Science God is universal, eternal, divine love, which changeth not and causeth no evil, disease, nor death,” (S&H, p. 140).
- “Father-Mother is the name for Deity, which indicates His tender relationship to His spiritual creation," (S&H 332).
- “GOD. The great I AM; the all-knowing, all-seeing, all-acting, all-wise, all-loving, and eternal; Principle; Mind; Soul; Spirit; Life; Truth; Love; all substance; intelligence,” (S&H 587, caps original).
- ISLAM: Monotheism, God is non-trinitarian. Allah is the Arabic name for God and is often used to name the Islamic god.
- JW: God is Jehovah. There is one God in one person, (Make Sure of All Things, p. 188). They deny the Trinity and say that the Trinity is a doctrine of demons.
- LDS: God is named Elohim. Jehovah is the name of Jesus.
- God used to be a man on another planet, (Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, vol. 5, pp. 613-614), who has “a body of flesh and bones," (D&C 130:22), and resides near a star called Kolob, (Pearl of Great Price, pp. 34-35). Also, there are many gods, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 163) and a mother god, (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 443).
- "For I know that God is not a partial God, neither a changeable being; but he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity” (The Book of Mormon, Moroni 8:18).
“The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s” (Doctrine and Covenants 130:22).
- “God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! That is the great secret, if the veil were rent today, and the great God who holds this world in its orbit, and who upholds all worlds and all things by his power, was to make himself visible,--I say, if you were to see him today, you would see him like a man in form—like yourselves in all the person, image, and very form as a man,” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345).
- “We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil, so that you may see . . . yea, that God the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did, and I will show it from the Bible” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 345-346).
- “That which is without body or parts is nothing. There is no God in heaven but that God who has flesh and bones” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church--Joseph Smith, p. 42).
- “Gods, angels, and men are all of one species, one race, one great family, widely diffused among the planetary systems as colonies, kingdoms, nations, etc.” (Apostle Parley P. Pratt, The Key to the Science of Theology, 1978, p. 21).
- “God and man are of the same race, differing only in their degrees of advancement" (Apostle John A. Widtsoe, Rational Theology, 1915, p. 61).
- “The Prophet Joseph Smith corrected the idea that God that now is was always God” (Seventies, B. H. Roberts, New Witness for God 1:465).
- “Kolob, signifying the first creation, nearest to the celestial, or the residence of God. First in government, the last pertaining to the measurement of time. The measurement according to celestial time, which celestial time signifies one day to a cubit. One day in Kolob is equal to a thousand years according to the measurement of this earth, which is called by the Egyptians Jah-oh-eh” (Book of Abraham, Explanation of Figure 1 in Facsimile 2).
- NAM: God can be anything from the divinity within us all to the universe itself or a principle of understanding or a universal energy. God can be personal or not personal. It can be panentheism (the universe is in god) or pantheism (the universe is god).
- RC: Holds to orthodox and Biblical view of God.