Jump to navigation
- BIBLE (Correct): Hell is the future, eternal abode of the damned. It was originally created for the devil and his demonic forces (Matt. 25:41) but will also include those who reject Christ. It is a place of eternal torment (Matt. 5:22, 29, 30, Mark 9:43, Luke 12:5).
- CS: Hell is a state of mind, which can include the effects of the improper understanding of Divine Mind and Christian Science Principles. Hell is not a literal place of damnation and eternal torment. Hell exists when a person’s thoughts are out of harmony with the reality of Divine Mind. "Mortal belief, error; lust; hatred, sin; sickness; effects of sin."
- ISLAM: Hell is similar to the Bible’s view. It consists of torment, but it includes a tree, the tree of Zaqqum that has bad fruit of which the damned are forced to eat (Surah 37:62-67, 44:43-48, 56:52-55). It consists of eternal torment (Surah 2:39, 14:17), fire (Surah 25:11-12, 104:6-7), it has boiling water (38:55-58, 55:43-44) where the damned skin is burned and renewed (Surah 4:56).
- JW: There is no conscious eternal hell where the wicked are punished, (Let God be True, p. 79, 80). Instead, it is the grave where people who did not follow the Jehovah’s Witness teachings are annihilated and cease to have existence.
- “God’s Word says nothing about eternal torment of lost souls in a fiery hell as being the punishment for wickedness. Instead, it simply says: 'The wages sin pays is death.' 'The soul that sinneth, it shall die.' 'All the wicked ones he will annihilate,'” (Watchtower, 3/1/1960, p. 134).
- LDS: Hell is outer darkness, a spirit prison, but is not forever. It is also sometimes said to be the lower levels of the heavens. Therefore, it would consist of the telestial and terrestrial kingdoms where progression to godhood is forbidden.