Harm is a relative term. What might be considered harmful to one person might not to another. There are different kinds of harm: physical, emotional, spiritual, financial, etc. So, when we ask how gay marriage harms anyone, we have to look at more than just one aspect.
Marriage has been universally acknowledged throughout history as a legal contract between a man and a woman in which there is emotional and sexual fidelity, along with childbearing. But homosexual marriage would change this. Since marriage is also a moral issue, redefining marriage is redefining morals. Furthermore, marriage is an extremely wide-spread practice within any society and has many legal and moral issues attached to it. So, when marriage is redefined, the society is dramatically affected. Legalizing gay marriage means changing the laws of the land. The ramifications are vast and we are seeing the effects of homosexual legal "rights" affecting housing, education, the work place, medicine, the armed forces, adoption, religion, etc. Are all the changes good? Or are at least some of them harmful? That is hotly debated. But we have to ask, is it morally right to force all of society to adopt the morals of a minority? (See Statistics on the percentage of the population that are homosexual and lesbian)
So, how would gay marriage harm anyone? First, let's define harm. Harm is damage to a person physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, financially, morally, etc. The definition is obviously broad and subjective, and this is problematic. People experience harm in different ways.
Here is a list of ways in which gay marriage can bring harm.
- It can bring huge financial and emotional stress.
- Homosexuals can sue people who are exercising their religious beliefs. For example, a heterosexual married couple with children who do not want to rent a room in their own family household to homosexuals could be sued for discrimination based on "sexual orientation." This can incur significant financial and emotional stress upon the family, not to mention the "prior restraint" effect of the fear of being sued, which results in a family not renting out a room and losing the income. In addition, consider the 2015 Colorado case involving a baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple's wedding on religious grounds. The subsequent fine of $135,000, upheld by the Colorado Supreme Court, bankrupted the baker. Was that not harmful? Of course it was, not only to the baker and his family, but to countless others who were denied the baker's services.
- The health risks are enormous to themselves and others.
- The fact is that homosexuals do not live as long as heterosexuals due to the health risks associated with the lifestyle, and billions of dollars are spent annually in health care for them. See Statistics on HIV/AIDS and health related issues
- But the HIV/AIDS epidemic is not only in the homosexual community. It has crossed over to the heterosexual community.
- Whether or not you want to say that HIV/AIDS is a homosexual disease, the fact is that it is highly prevalent among the gay and lesbian community due to their great number of sex partners. The collateral damage to the rest of society, as far as health risks, cannot be denied.
- Gay Marriage means having the morals of the minority forced upon the majority.
- This can also be said in the reverse. Either way, there is a problem. Normally, morals should not be forced on anyone, though there are exceptions. We force morals on others by preventing them from stealing, raping, murdering, etc. So, it is not automatically wrong to force morals on someone. But the issue then becomes what is morally right and wrong in the first place, and altering morals in a society definitely causes stress.
- The percentage of homosexuals in society is less than 5%, yet it is being forced upon the other 95% of society in movies, TV, literature, and political periods. See Statistics on the percentage of the population that are homosexual and lesbian.
- Gay Marriage means a redefinition of sexual morality, and with it other sexually related practices will be affected and this can be harmful.
- See the article Collateral damage effect as a result the change in sexual morals for a discussion on the increase in pedophilia, pornography, child pornography, prostitution, and sex trafficking that are occurring in the world. These increases are not due to an increase in conservative sexual morals, but a reduction of conservative sexual morals.
- Gay Marriage reduces the number of children born in society and we need a stable population base to operate properly. If gay marriage increases and heterosexual marriage decreases, society will be harmed.
- Gay Marriage affects people spiritually.
- Don't assume that people's spiritual beliefs are irrelevant. People consider spiritual issues to be extremely important, and the stress imposed on religious people by forcing them to "accept" and/or support homosexual practice and/or intimidate them into silence harms a person's spiritual and emotional health.
- It forces government to get involved in changing laws which automatically affect everyone in society.
- Homosexuality is being force-fed to our youth via the education system.
- Civil unions are being recognized by employers which affects co-workers, money payouts, work time, etc.
- If a parent objects to a school teaching pro-homosexuality and pulls his child out of school, and because of it is ridiculed and/or jailed, is he harmed?
- If a self-employed business owner with strong religious convictions refuses to offer his services to homosexuals and he is sued and goes bankrupt, is he harmed?
- Examples of such businesses where a person should be free to refuse services could be things like wedding photographers, masseuses, tutoring, etc.
- If a Catholic orphanage is forced to shut down because it is against its religious moral code to turn children over to homosexual couples, is someone hurt?
- If a public school teacher voices his disapproval of homosexuality on Facebook on his own time, away from work, in his own home, on his own computer, and is fired from his teaching position, is he harmed? Additionally, is the First Amendment right to free speech harmed?
- If a group of pro-homosexual activists (Act-UP) disrupt the worship service of a Christian congregation by throwing condoms at the pastor, is the congregation harmed?
- If Christians are forced into silence because of fear of legal, social, and financial retribution, are they harmed?
- When morally conservative people who disapprove of homosexuality are labeled as "moral dinosaurs," "bigots," "hate mongers," "right wing fanatics," "preachers of hatred," "intolerant," are they harmed?