by Matt Slick
If Jesus is not God, then explain . . .
- Why Thomas calls Jesus God in John 20:28? (Note, Thomas addresses Jesus specifically).
- Why does God call Jesus God in Heb. 1:8?
- Why does John the apostle state that Jesus was the Word which was God that became flesh (John 1:1, 14)?
- Why is the phrase "Call upon the name of the LORD" (Hebrew, YHWH, i.e., Psalm 116:4) used only of God on the OT and translated into the Greek in the LXX as "Call upon the name of the LORD (greek, "KURIOS") applied to Jesus in the NT (1 Cor. 1:2) if Jesus is not God in flesh?
- Why does the apostle John say that Jesus was " . . . calling God His own Father, making Himself equal to God." (John 5:18)?
- What did Jesus say that caused the Pharisees to claim that Jesus was making Himself out to be God (John 8:58)?
- How was it possible for Jesus to know all things (John 21:17)?
- How can Jesus know all men (John 16:30)?
- How can Jesus be everywhere (Matt. 28:20)?
- How can Jesus, the Christ, dwell in you (Col. 1:27)?
- How can Jesus be the exact representation of the Nature of God (Heb. 1:3)?
- How can Jesus be eternal (Micah 5:1-2)?
- How can Jesus be the one who gives eternal life (John 10:27-28)?
- How can He be our only Lord and Master (Jude 4)?
- How can Jesus be called the Mighty God (Isaiah 9:6) if there is only one God in existence (Isaiah 44:6-8; 45:5)?
- How can Jesus be called the Mighty God (Isaiah 9:6) and "God" also be called the Mighty God in Isaiah 10:21?
- How was Jesus able to raise Himself from the dead (John 2:19-21)?
- How can Jesus create all things (Col. 1:16-17), yet it is God who created all things by Himself (Isaiah 44:24)?
- How can Jesus search the hearts and minds of the people (Rev. 2:23)?
- Why was Jesus worshiped (Matt. 2:2, 11; 14:33; 28:9; John 9:35-38; Heb. 1:6) when He says to worship God only (Matt. 4:10)? (same Greek word for worship is used in each place.)
- In the OT God was seen (Exodus 6:2-3; 24:9-11; Num. 12:6-9; Acts 7:2), yet no man can see God (Exodus 33:20; John 1:18). It was not the Father that was seen in the OT (John 6:46). Who, then were they seeing? See John 8:58.
- Then why did Jesus claim the divine name, "I AM" for Himself in John 8:58? see Exodus 3:14.
- Then why did Jesus say you must honor him even as you honor the Father (John 5:23)?
- Then why is it that both the Father and the Son give life (John 5:21)?
- Then why did Jesus bear witness of Himself (John 8:18; 14:6)?