It can be said that a religion is judged by what it says about its women. The Qur'an says much of them. All quotes from the Qur'an are from Yusuf Ali and can be found at the Qur'an online.
- Men have more rights regarding divorce than do women.
- "Divorced women shall wait concerning themselves for three monthly periods. Nor is it lawful for them to hide what Allah Hath created in their wombs, if they have faith in Allah and the Last Day. And their husbands have the better right to take them back in that period, if they wish for reconciliation. And women shall have rights similar to the rights against them, according to what is equitable; but men have a degree (of advantage) over them. And Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise," (2:228)
- Muslim men may marry up to four women, but no such provision is made for Muslim women.
- "If ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, Marry women of your choice, Two or three or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one, or (a captive) that your right hands possess, that will be more suitable, to prevent you from doing injustice," (4:3).
- A man's inheritance should be a portion of two females.
- "Allah (thus) directs you as regards your Children's (Inheritance): to the male, a portion equal to that of two females: if only daughters, two or more, their share is two-thirds of the inheritance; if only one, her share is a half," (4:11).
- It is okay to beat wives.
- "Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all)," (4:34).
- In Paradise, voluptuous women await men for sensual gratification.
- "In them will be (Maidens), chaste, restraining their glances, whom no man or Jinn before them has touched," (55:56).
- "We have created (their Companions) of special creation. And made them virgin--pure (and undefiled),--Beloved (by nature), equal in age,- For the Companions of the Right Hand," (56:35-38)
- "Verily for the Righteous there will be a fulfillment of (the heart's) desires; Gardens enclosed, and grapevines, And voluptuous women of equal age," (78:31-33).
This article is also available in: Español