The following quotes are from Science and Health With Key to the Scriptures
- "One sacrifice, however great, is insufficient to pay the debt of sin. The atonement requires constant self-immolation on the sinner’s part. That God’s wrath should be vented upon His beloved Son, is divinely unnatural. Such a theory is man-made" (S&H 23:3-7).
- "The material blood of Jesus was no more efficacious to cleanse from sin when it was shed upon ‘the accursed tree,’ than when it was flowing in his veins as he went daily about his Father’s business" (S&H 25:6-8).
- "His disciples believed Jesus to be dead while he was hidden in the sepulcher, whereas he was alive . . ." (S&H 44:28-29).
- ". . . his body was not changed until he himself ascended,--or, in other words, rose even higher in the understand of Spirit, God . . .and this exaltation explained his ascension, and revealed unmistakably a probationary and progressive state beyond the grave" (S&H 46:15-17; 20-24).
- "His students then received the Holy Ghost. By this is meant, that by all they had witnessed and suffered, they were roused to an enlarged understanding of divine Science" (S&H 46:30-32).
- "A scientific mental method is more sanitary than the use of drugs, and such a mental method produces permanent health" (S&H 79:7-9).
- "It is contrary to Christian Science to suppose that life is either material or organically spiritual" (S&H 83:21-22).
- "The admission to one’s self that man is God’s own likeness sets man free to master the infinite idea" (S&H 90:24-25).
- "The theory of three person in one God (that is, a personal Trinity or Tri-unity) suggest polytheism . . ." (S&H 256:9-11).
- "Father-Mother is the name for Deity, which indicates His tender relationship to His spiritual creation" (S&H 332:4-5.).
- "The word Christ is not properly a synonym for Jesus, thought it is commonly so used" (S&H 333:3-4).
- "Mind is the I AM, or infinity. Mind never enters the finite. . .but infinite Mind can never be in man . . .a portion of God could not enter man" (S&H 336:1-2, 13,19-20).
- ". . . and recognize that Jesus Christ is not God, as Jesus himself declared, but is the Son of God" (S&H 361:11-13).
- Speaking of Gen. 2:7, "Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being," Eddy says, "Is this addition to His creation real or unreal? Is it the truth, or is it a lie concerning man and God? It must be a lie, for God presently curses the ground . . . "(S&H 524:13-27).
- In describing what the Devil is, it says, "Evil; a lie; error; neither corporeality nor mind; the opposite of Truth; a belief in sin, sickness, and death; animal magnetism or hypnotism; the lust of the flesh, which saith: ‘I am life and intelligence in matter. There is more than one mind, for I am mind,--a wicked mind, self-made or created by a tribal god and put into the opposite of mind, termed matter, thence to reproduce a mortal universe, including man, not after the image and likeness of Spirit, but after its own image." (S&H 584:17-25).
- "If there had never existed such a person as the Galilean Prophet, it would make no difference to me." (The First Church of Christ Scientist and Miscellany, pp. 318, 319).
This article is also available in: Español