One of the errors of Christian Science is the belief that the Christ is the "divine-idea man." It is a principle that dwells within each and every one of us.
Christian Science denies that Jesus was the Christ.1
The Bible declares in 1 John 2:22, "Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ?" It is apparent from the following verses that Christian Science is not telling the truth about Jesus.
- Jesus is the Christ
- Matt. 16:16, "And Simon Peter answered and said, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God."
- Acts 5:42, "And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they kept right on teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ."
- See also, Matt. 16:20, Luke 9:20, John 20:31, Acts 3:20, 9:22, 18:5, 18:28.
- Jesus called Himself the Christ
- John 4:25-26, "The woman *said to Him, "I know that Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ); when that One comes, He will declare all things to us." 26 Jesus *said to her, "I who speak to you am He."
- The Christ was born
- Matt. 1:16, "and to Jacob was born Joseph the husband of Mary, by whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ." See also Matt. 2:4, Luke 2:11.
- Christ did works
- Matt. 11:2, "Now when John in prison heard of the works of Christ, he sent word by his disciples."
- Christ is the Son of David
- Mark 12:35, "And Jesus answering began to say, as He taught in the temple, "How is it that the scribes say that the Christ is the son of David?"
- Christ suffered
- Luke 24:26, "Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?" See also Luke 24:46, Acts 26:23.
- Christ rose from the dead
- Acts 17:3, "explaining and giving evidence that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, "This Jesus whom I am proclaiming to you is the Christ."
- Christ was resurrected
- Acts 2:31, "he looked ahead and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that He was neither abandoned to Hades, nor did His flesh suffer decay."
- Christ is a Son
- Heb. 3:6, "but Christ was faithful as a Son over His house whose house we are, if we hold fast our confidence and the boast of our hope firm until the end."
- Christ has a body
- Rom. 7:4, "Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, that we might bear fruit for God."
- Christ has a body and blood
- 1 Cor. 10:16, "Is not the cup of blessing which we bless a sharing in the blood of Christ? Is not the bread which we break a sharing in the body of Christ?"
- Christ became a curse for us
- Gal. 3:13, "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree."
- Christ died
- Gal. 2:21, "I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly." See also, 1 Cor. 8:11.
- Christ can be sinned against
- 1 Cor. 8:12, "And thus, by sinning against the brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ."
- Christ bore the sins of many
- Heb. 9:28, "so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, shall appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him." See also 1 Cor. 15:23-24.
This article is also available in: Español
- 1. Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, 333:3-15, 334:3