by Matt Slick
On 1/31/2020, I posted a question on a large Facebook page that has more than 73,000 members. It is called the "Catholic Church and The Reformation - Debates Forum. It is found at https://www.facebook.com/groups/CatholicOrBibleOnly. My question was simple.
"For Catholics. Why do you think I am so against the Catholic Church?"
I received over 400 responses in 2 days. It crept up to the 600 range in a week.
The reason I asked the question was to see if my approach to Catholics was generating animosity because of rudeness (which I seek to avoid) or due to the issues I raise. Such topics include works righteousness, maryolatry, sacerdotalism, etc. If they had cited my rudeness, accusatory tone, etc., I would've worked on that. But no such accusations came forth. Instead, a varied assortment of extreme negativity flowed through the hearts of many Catholics. I've listed some of the things they said below.
I desire to be biblically factual and polite as I share the gospel with anyone. I've certainly made plenty of mistakes in the past, but I am seeking to live according to the Scriptures and be a better witness.
- Col. 4:5-6, "Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity. 6 Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person."
- 2 Timothy 2:24–26, "The Lord’s bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, 25 with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, 26 and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will."
So, I asked the question because I wanted to know how I was perceived. I also wanted to see what I could learn from whatever Catholics might say on a variety of topics. But, my concern is to represent Christ properly as I work against false churches and the Roman Catholic Church, which I firmly believe teaches a false gospel.
Now, I expected some negativity, but I was not expecting as much as occurred within those responses. Of course, I understand why the Catholics would be defensive. They know that I stand in opposition to the Catholic Church. So, I'm attacking what is dear to them, and they're going to react.
Because of the great negativity, accusations, and condemnations that were made about me by the Catholics publically in that forum, I thought I would reproduce 25 comments here. There were a lot more! These are direct quotes.
So, once again, here was my question: "For Catholics. Why do you think I am so against the Catholic Church?"
Following are some of the responses.
- "Lack of belief."
- "Because of pride?"
- "Because you believe lies."
- "Because you suck??????"
- "Because of ignorant bigotry"
- "Because you think you a perfect a god...hahaha"
- "Because you've got destroyed by many a CC apologist in debate. Plus you're a question dodging IGNORAMUS."
- "Because you've made a career out of it and now you're too close to retirement age to do much else."
- "Because you created a self view of Christ's Church"
- "you are PROVEN hack and False Prophet who has been out thought and debated."
- "You believe you are a better judge of scripture than the Church that gave it to you"
- "Perhaps God allowed your heart to be hardened?"
- "you are jealous that we are the only ones that we can trace our lineage to Jesus Christ."
- "Because you intentionally misconstrue/lie/distort catholic teaching and refuse to listen to actual faithful Catholics on actual catholic teaching."
- "Because man doesn’t like submitting even to God and his will."
- "You want to do things your way. You suffer from the same vice as Lucifer did, i.e Pride"
- "You were not against the Catholic Church, you are just supporting Satan."
- "Hopefully, because you’re horribly misinformed and not possessed. But after numerous conversations with you in the past I’d lean more towards possession"
- "A self righteous hater an Edomite Son of Esau = a child of darkness for a reason."
- "You don't have a proper understanding of Christianity or what the Bible actually says in context."
- "Because you are a son of the arcliar Lucifer."
- "Because you hate the Truth and you know it."
- "Just another false teacher, gone in the way of Korah & Balaam."
- "Because you’re too proud to admit you fell for demonic doctrines."
- "Your ignorance, malice, hatred, and arrogance, the proportion of the mix is only known to God, but you have exibited form of each component"
Thankfully, the condemnation I received was not about any breach of politeness. Instead, as you can see you from above, the complaints were about my person, my ignorance, my lack of character, that I'm of the devil, etc. There was a profound lack of Christian charity within the posts. And, I might add, it was not as though there were a bunch of polite posts interwoven among the bad. Quite the opposite. As I said above, I think there were only two responses out of approximately 600 where charity was urged.
I leave you to make your conclusions about the sanctification of the accusers. Perhaps, if they read this article, they might want to consider the Scriptures listed at the beginning of this article that speak of how Christians are to conduct themselves. After all, Catholics claim to be Christians, so they should subject themselves to what the word of God teaches about their conduct.