Baked Ham Ingredients:
- One ham
- Brown sugar
- Whole cloves
- 2 liters of ginger ale
- Score ham and pack with brown sugar.
- Place cloves in corners.
- Pour ginger ale over all.
- Cook until done.
- Baste with juices.
Submitted by: Barbara Comments: Barb did not specify cooking times, but the rule of thumb is 40-50 minutes per kilo of ham (20-25 minutes per pounds) at 375F (190C) plus 20 minutes. Pastales
- Bunch of very green large plantains (the kind of banana that doesn't ripen)
- 1 Potato and large yucca root large, diced
- Achiote oil
- 3-5 pounds pork butt or shoulder
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 8-ounce cans of tomato sauce
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 bunches cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- Ti or banana leaves
- Peel and grate bananas and potato (or process in food processor). Add achiote oil, a little at a time, to the grated bananas and potato until pale orange and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Filling: Cut the pork into tiny pieces. Sauté in a pan; drain fat. In another saucepan, heat some achiote oil and sauté green pepper, garlic, and onion for a few minutes. Add seasonings, tomato paste, cilantro, olives, and the pork. Cook until pork bits are very tender. Cool.
- Prepare leaves: Wash leaves and remove center rib from ti leaves; if using banana leaves, cut into 10-inch pieces. Soften leaves by pouring boiling water on them or heat in microwave to make them soft and pliable.
- To assemble: moisten leaves with gravy from the stew mixture. Place a large spoonful of the banana mixture on the leaf; spread out into a rectangular shape. Place about 2 tablespoon of the drained meat on one side. Fold the leaf over, tuck ends in to form a neat package. Tie with string to hold folded ends together. Steam them for one hour and serve hot. Submitted by: Ceecee *************************
Parma Ham Tart
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 2 medium onions, sliced very thin
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese. (Not prepackaged! Buy a block and grate it.)
- 1/2 cup of fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, basil, whatever, just not cilantro)
- 8 ounces of Parma ham sliced thin, then cut into 1squares
- Lay the sheet of pastry on baking paper in a baking tray.
- Prick the pastry with a fork and brush or spray with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Pop in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes.
- Sauté the onions in more olive oil until just clear and set aside.
- Once the pastry is chilled, spread the onions over it in an even layer then add half the herbs.
- Put the chopped Parma ham in a layer next and add the balance of the herbs.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top and add a good amount of fresh ground pepper. Do not add salt at any point! The ham and cheese are salty enough.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
Cut into rectangles or squares as finger food or larger squares as an entrée.
- Cut pastry circles and make tartlets.
- Add a beaten egg to the onions and place in a flan tray as opposed to a flat sheet.
- If you are so inclined, you could add some anchovies.
- Caveat: I have tried to make this with mild cured hams and softer cheese, such as cheddar. Not very good! This is a robust dish with a lot of flavor.
Comments: This recipe was acquired from a restaurant in Sydney Called You and Me, now sadly defunct. Original Chef/ Owner Jenny Ferguson. Submitted by: Bandecoot
Mennonite Hearty Pork Stew Ingredients:
- 1½ pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (13 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1½ cup cubed zucchini or summer squash
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
- Mix all ingredients except flour and margarine into a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 7 hours (cook 3 to 4 hours on high setting), or until pork is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Mix flour with softened butter or margarine and gently stir 1 spoonful at a time into the pork mixture until well blended.
- Cover and cook an additional 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
Submitted by: Saved
Breakfast Ham and Egg Casserole Ingredients:
- Softened butter or margarine
- 14 to 15 slices of bread
- 3 cups diced cooked ham
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- Spread butter on both sides of bread slices; cut bread into small cubes.
- Combine bread cubes, ham, cheese, salt, and pepper; stir well.
- Beat eggs until foamy; stir in milk.
- Add egg mixture to ham mixture, stirring well.
- Pour into a lightly greased 13x9x2 inch pan; cover and refrigerate overnight
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees, for one hour.
Submitted by: Bandecoot