Welcome to the Jan. 11, 2007 Newsletter
1st Newsletter of 2007
Welcome to CARM's first newsletter of 2007. It has been a very hectic year so far. There is so much to do and I have been working very hard, often up till two o'clock in the morning working on the redesign of CARM, updating various aspects of the website, working on a book on Christians surviving secular school, laying out a family devotions curriculum, answering emails, and more. I'm actually excited about having so much to do. It is good to be busy and I praise the Lord for 11 years of working as the president of CARM. I consider it a great privilege to be able to do what I do.
I hope that you had a good New Years and that the holidays were not exhausting. Sometimes we need a couple of weeks to recover from our vacations and that is the case in our house as well. Whew! We did a lot of entertaining. No complaints. It was all fun. Praise God.
Anyway, I figured a few weeks off from the newsletter at the end of the year would be a good idea. The last one was December 15, so it has been almost a month.
A Christmas doh!
My wife loves music and loves to listen to it in the kitchen when prepping meals. So, I did a lot of finagling and managed to get her an mp3 player AND some nice speakers. I wrapped them both up and put them under the tree.
Now, in order to make the surprise even better, I "whined" about having to get her something because "women are hard to buy for." She gave me "the look" several times when I was routinely complaining. Finally, I dropped a couple hints that I got her an electric toothbrush (he he he he). She knows me well, so I had to play dumb, intelligently. It wasn't easy.
Anyway, on Christmas eve, as is the custom in our home, we all open one gift and leave the rest for the morning. That Eve, I gave her the mp3 player present. She was floored! Ha! Gotcha! So, I mentioned the electric toothbrush again and threw in a couple of "tomorrow morning" statements to keep her unaware. It worked great. She had no idea that in the morning she'd be getting speakers, the very ones she had eyed at a store sometime earlier! Yes! I was going to score major points, big time.
Alright, we all got up, kids were eagerly waiting, and we opened presents. It was great. The kids had a great time. Finally, it was time for me to give her "the speakers"... but, before she got to mine, she had one last present to open. She tore into it and.... to my shock..... she opened the very same set of speakers I had wrapped up for her...only, they were from her brother! Doh!
AND! she cried when she saw the speakers!
So, after she regained her composure, I gave her my present. She opened it and, well, let's just say she was suprirsed. She didn't cry over "my" speakers. I got pre-empted.
But hey, it all worked out. We took mine back to the store and she has what she needs. Now, the only problem is, what the heck do I get her for her birthday, and electric comb?
Radio Show Status
We are still reassessing the Faith and Reason Radio show (www.carm.org/radio/radio.htm). We have a $500 deficit for the month of December and we are presently trying to raise monthly support so the costs will be covered by those who listen. I heard a preacher once say "You pay where you get fed. You don't buy a hamburger and McDonald's and pay at Burger King." I know there are a lot of people who enjoy the show and are fed by it. We hope that some of them will help support it.
Anyway, we have until the 19th of January to decide whether or not it will continue. So far, many have come forth and donated to keep it on the air. We are presently at about $300 in monthly support. It needs to be at $500 to stay on the air. If you're one of those who has support so far, I thank you very much.
But, we don't want to stop there. If the show continues, and it looks like it will, we want to expand it into other radio stations. I figure that the more people we have listening the more callers we will get and the more interaction we will have: debates, objections, questions, etc. It is kind of like a saturation point. Once it is reached, the show will flow very nicely. Also, I will probably start a weekly study through one of the books of the New Testament. I could take a half hour 45 minutes and teach and take callers. We'll see how that goes.
If you are interested in listening to the show live, you can do that over the Internet at www.myfamilyradio.com. The link is at the top of the Radio Stations' web page. But if you want to go straight to the audio player, click here: www.myfamilyradio.com/player.html
One a side note, the podcasts of the show are being downloaded around 10,000 times a month! It looks like F & R is a hit.
Please Support CARM
CARM is supported by the voluntary gifts and offerings of people like you. I have revamped the donations system and hope that this new year will bring in more support so that we can hire an additional staff person. Even $5 a month can make a big difference. CARM is on the front lines and we need all the help we can get. Please pray for us. We need it.
I figured I might as well let people know about the various needs we have in this Ministry. People do ask and though I'm usually hesitant to let them know, periodically I will. Here they are.
- Video Camera
- We still have need of a good video camera that can produce DVD quality images. It needs to have an audio input jack. We want to produce teaching videos, interviews, etc. on a variety of topics for release on CARM.
There is a video of me introducing CARM, done by an acquaintance in Utah. You can see it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyLARs_oJD8.
So, you would like to donate a good camera, or if you want to contribute to the cause, let us know as well.
- CARM now has a six year old laptop that is extremely slow. Time to upgrade.
- Desktop Computers
- Since I was a computer tech for five years, I know how to fix computers. So if you have a computer that you'd like to donate to CARM, please let me know. I'm able to piece them together and produce a new system. As CARM seeks to have a staff members on site, we will need to have the hardware in place to meet the need.
- A few months ago I asked for donations for a color laser printer. $352 came in. (A laser printer is more cost-effective than inkjet.) After a lot of research I've pretty much settled on the Dell 3115 priced at around $900. This will more than adequately meet the needs CARM office sounds in both scanning, copying, producing black-and-white documents as well as color prints - for producing color evangelism tracts for give away and/or sale on The CARM website. If you are interested in helping out with this, please contact me at [email protected] Thanks.
Need staff: someone to raise support and move to Boise, ID.
I've let this request run for several newsletters and have received some responses. For the sake of brevity and efficiency, I need to let people know that I'm only interested in qualified individuals. What makes someone qualified is an education and/or a calling with natural ability in apologetics. I need of someone who could move here to the Boise Idaho area, support him or herself, and help research and write for CARM (and move to full time as the support comes in). You don't have to be educated, but it would help. The Lord will tell me who was the right person. So, if you're interested, slightly obsessive, don't have both oars in the water, can write and research, are persistent, don't mind doing some grunt work here and there, and like to stick your nose where some think it doesn't belong, then you might be the right person for CARM.
I'm looking for people who are very dedicated, not those who express interest on a whim because they think it would be cool. One more thing, this kind of Ministry is definitely difficult and it carries with it a lot of trials and tribulations. Anyone who seriously considers doing this must expect difficulties spiritually, financially, physically, materially, etc. That's the reality so consider this prayerfully. Please don't contact me unless you are very serious about it: [email protected]
I am converting the CARM website over to CSS. It is laborious but worth the effort because of the future benefits. An example of the new article layout is found here http://www.carm.org/apologetics/intro.htm.
Another need for the website is to have a bit of code (in concert with the CSS redesign -- example) where users can click on a link (to be located in the yellow blocked sidebar area) and then register and create an account for bookmarks, favorite webpages, etc. We have our own server that runs PHP, etc., so if you know how to do this and would like to volunteer a little work, please contact me at [email protected]
Also, I'm looking for a feedback option for each article I could embed in that same block. Got any ideas?
(Note: A programmer had contacted me regarding the first idea, but I lost his contact information when my e-mail account unexpectedly dumped 300 e-mails. If you are the guy that I was talking to, please contact me.)
The CARM Discussion Forums are doing extremely well. In less than a year we have over 13,000 people signed up as participants. We even have a donation option for people to support the Ministry and have extended posting privelaes. If you are interested in learning how to defend your faith as well as finding out what others believe about vendors, than the CARM discussion forums are the place to be.
Videos via CARM
If you go to a CARM homepage you'll see some videos that we are selling on cults, debates, Hollywood's assault on Christian values, etc. We've made a connection with a great Ministry that produces them. We're going to try this for a month or two to see how it works. Hint: they would make a great Christmas gift.
Thanks to all of you who have been signing up for the online schools and donations to CARM. They have been a real encouragement to this Ministry as they have increased lately.
Do you have any suggestions for the newsletter or the CARM website? If so, let me know at [email protected] Thanks.
Love and Hate Mail
CARM is constantly getting e-mails of thanks and praise and condemnation. Here are a few...in the raw. (At the suggestion of a reader, the hate mail is first so that the last taste in your mouth, is the love mail).
- You are misleading people!! You need the Holy spirit. May the Lord have mercy on you for changing what the Bible says.
- Matthew 4.4, you need to read this Scripture before Degrading the People of the Pentecostal Faith. We live by the Bible period. Not by our flesh or carnal attitudes. How can you even thing you don't need Baptism to go to heaven, when Jesus himself had to have it. You are putting yourself above Jesus Christ.
- You talk about Jehovah's Witnesses being a cult, so in other words you are passing judgment on others, seems to me that's very unchristian like. The Watchtower Magazine is not a mind controlling thing, it brings out issues in modern Christian life that can be discussed in an open forum. Do you not listen to your leadership at your congregation, or are you saying you too are being controlled? God's purpose was not for us to be like the hypocritical Pharisees, but to love our neighbors. Please read your Bible carefully and you will see that Jehovah's Witnesses are trying to be like the early Christian Church. What you have to offer to the public about the Jehovah's Witnesses is false accusations. Please be careful.
- Love mail
- Thanks so much for such a well-studied web-site on the bible!! I used to be a JW, and i still need to get my mind cleared from their absurd teachings, so anything you can do to help me would be GREAT!!!
- Just a quick 'note' to say 'Thank you' for your efforts; I am thoroughly appreciative of having your School of Apologetics as a resource as I prepare to lead a group study on evangelism and 'objections.'
- I ordered and just received your whole work [the MOAN] that is on CARM. God Bless you. Obviously I have not delved into it all but I am so excited to have such an exhaustive resource. Thank you and I shall keep you and your ministry in my prayers.
- Thank you for your service. CARM is a blessing and ministry that is progressively
building God's Kingdom through love and knowledge. All praise to Jesus Christ
Same as Last Newsletter
Please consider supporting CARM financially at $5 per month: here
Prayer Ministry - CARM does have a prayer Ministry. If you are interested in joining us as we pray for others' needs, or if you have needs that you need prayer for, please go to http://www.carm.org/prayer.htm and sign up.
Online Schools. Theology, Apologetics, and Critical Thinking. You can support CARM and also learn.
Discussion Boards - http://www.christiandiscussionforums.org/v/index.php. We have a very active discussion boards.
Chat Room - http://www.carm.org/boards/chat.htm. Want a live discussion?
Live Radio Show! - The show is called "Faith and Reason with Matt Slick." I am on for one hour, five days a week, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Mountain Time). It's a live call-in show where people can ask all kinds of questions dealing with Christianity, the Bible, cults, counseling, the occult, etc. You can call in to the number is 208-377-3790 and/or listen live via the Internet at www.myfamilyradio.com on the AM station.
Podcasting CARM now has podcasting ability for past radio shows: http://feeds.feedburner.com/carmorgpodcasting.
Weekly Teaching Time on Paltalk - Every Tuesday evening I host a live discussion room on paltalk.com. Paltalk is a free voice chat system that is quite good. It is full of Christians as well as non-Christians and the battles over truth are frequent. It is however, a good place to learn how to defend your faith. If interested, please join us for our weekly discussion by going to paltalk, download the program, and join us on Tuesday evenings at 8pm, Mountain time.
Do you have any suggestions for the CARM newsletter or the CARM website? If so, please contact us at [email protected] We want to know what you think, areas of need that you would like to see addressed, as well as any comments you might have.