Welcome to the Jan. 25, 2007 Newsletter
Welcome to the CARM newsletter.
Yesterday I had lunch with a local pastor and a friend. We sat at a deli and talked for about 3 1/2 hours, exchanging Ministry stories, talking about CARM, etc. We got on the topic of the radio show and I mentioned how my laptop (I use for the show) moved about as fast as a glacier. I was speaking about my frustration with its speed, or lack thereof, and also how I was hoping to get a color laser printer so that I could produce colored tracks and brochures to send out via the CARM website. My friend Randy inquired about these two needs and when I told him that I was trying to save up money to get them, he offered to purchase them both. I was shocked. Long story short, he said let's go right now and get them. We did.
Randy told me that the Lord had provided him with a large sum of unexpected money and that he had planned to give a certain portion to a church or Ministry and when we met and he found out about CARM's needs, he decided right then to help out. So, I now have a fast laptop and a new color laser printer in my office. The Lord provides and I'm very grateful for his kindness.
CARM still has needs and one of the main ones is a good video camera that can produce DVD quality images. It needs to have an audio input jack. We want to produce teaching videos, interviews, etc. on a variety of topics for release on CARM. It is a large undertaking, but a worthwhile one.
We also need Desktop Computers. Since I was a computer tech for five years, I know how to fix them. So if you have a computer that you'd like to donate to CARM, please let me know. As CARM seeks to have a staff members on site, we will need to have the hardware in place to meet the need.
33rd Annual Atheist Convention
The 33rd annual atheist convention will be held on the weekend of Easter in April (6th-8th) in Seattle, Washington. I plan to attend. I've not been invited to speak, though I would love to. My intention is to go and learn as much as I can and, hopefully, interview some atheists with a video camera and get some contacts for my radio show.
Atheism is on the rise and is becoming more aggressive. Atheists seek to remove religion from our culture and replace it with secular humanism. From what I have encountered, most atheists believe that religion does more harm than good. Therefore, they are regularly on the attack against religious systems, in particular Christianity, and are becoming more emboldened in our society as they win court cases and drive Christianity further and further away from the mainstream. The more they win, the bolder they become. The bolder they become, the more intrusive into our lives they will move. We know from history that when secular regimes take control, the religious devotees suffer persecution.
Though they are a minority, they are having a strong influence on our society. It might even be true that they are having more of an influence now than Christians . Nevertheless, I hope to attend the conference, learn more of how the enemy of the gospel works, write about it, do videos about it, and be better able to bring glory to God and equip Christians for the good fight of the faith.
Love and Hate Mail
CARM is constantly getting e-mails of thanks and praise and condemnation. Here are a few...in the raw. (At the suggestion of a reader, the hate mail is first so that the last taste in your mouth, is the love mail).
- "Hello. I think it very sad that you waste your time trashing other religions when you should be worrying about the salvation of your soul!"
- CARM is the Anti-Christ of freedom of religion, like so many government agencies and their Laws restricting freedoms that "once upon a time" were rightfully given to us at birth.
- Sorry, but you people are a bunch of idiots. Just because some people worship God a little different than you, doesn't make them a Cult. Doesn't make them bad people. Get a real life, be productive, not destructive.
- Love mail
- I absolutely love your website and your podcasts. I'm impressed with what you've done...what with the information and the truth that you try to equip us with. I'm a Canadian college student who loves learning how to support his faith. I've always been enriched by your radio shows, your passion for God, and your dedication to your work and ministry. You've really opened my eyes as to how vital(and also difficult) it is to do what you do. Thanks for allowing God to work through you, because it's made me think: Am I really where I need to be with Jesus right now? Thanks, brother. I'm glad to hear that your radio show is going to continue. Well, I guess I better leave it at that, Matt. Keep on serving the Lord, know the truth, and put your faith in Christ.
- Just wanted to say thank you for the exhaustive information on your website regarding bible-based cults. I use you as a resource for my Sunday school young adult class, (I'm teaching them about cults and comparative religions right now). Keep fighting the good fight!
- Thank You!!!!! You have no clue how much this site is gonna help me. I have been so frustrated with trying to figure out a way to reach the lost ones of today and I just haven't had the confidence or gaul to do anything about it. I ran into CARM on accident and I just thank the LORD!!!! For real!!! You don't even know...I love the way things are explained and just put out there very direct and to the point. Very easy to understand! With a nice little confident twist which is lovely!!!! WELL DONE MATTHEW...and EVERYONE!!! I love you and you ...and you2!