In San Diego
I will be in San Diego for the rest of this week, March 14th through the 17th. Hopefully, by God's grace, I will be able to get into a prison in Mexico, deliver a short message, and minister to those they are. My wife's brother is incarcerated in that prison (for a sentence of five years) and this is an opportunity to point him to Jesus as well as minister to others. Please pray for my safety and the safety of others who are involved in preaching and teaching God's Word.
Pray for Tanner
Kevin Harris is a friend of mine who is a Christian apologist in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. He has filled in on my radio show more than once. I just found out that his son has been in the hospital with very bad case of pneumonia. They had to operate on him in order to allow him to breathe. He has a large to in his side that is draining fluid from his lungs. It looks like he is out of the woods. If you remember, please pray for him.
CARM is doing well enough to support me full-time. We are in the early stages of trying to have CARM audited by an independent company so that's a public disclosure of its finances can be offered. We hope to be as transparent as possible so that we might bring glory to God as a Ministry of integrity that seeks to do his will. Please pray that God will bring the proper people, the proper CPAs, accounting firm, etc. but which we might make sure that everything is above board, balanced, and open for public review.
Monday's Radio Show
It isn't very often that I mention a particular radio show from Faith and Reason, the program hosted by CARM. But, last night's show, March 12, was very interesting. I arranged for a pastor to call in and discuss the issue of the Trinity. He denied it, as well as the deity of Christ, and best I could extract from him, he denies that Jesus is also a man. Our conversation was typical in that many standard arguments against the deity of Christ were used. I answered them and asked him many questions. It was apparent that he was not equipped to deal with the counter arguments. But what became most enlightening was when I found out that is he had written what is, apparently, a new book that is inspired. It is a book of Edward. If you are interested in the podcast, please go to http://feeds.feedburner.com/carmorgpodcasting. I think you might enjoy it.
In light of the documentary that appeared on TV regarding the so-called lost tomb of Jesus, I produced an article located at http://www.carm.org/evidence/Jesus_tomb.htm. The feedback has been very positive and the article has been accessed over 12,000 times since February 26 when I first released it. Many people have e-mailed me thanking me for it and letting me know they have printed it up, distributed at church, at Bible studies and friends who had questions. Praise God.
Two New CARM workers
In the last newsletter I mentioned that we are now paying two women to work with CARM. Diane, who lives in New Jersey, has been a tireless volunteer with CARM for many years. She oversees the discussion boards, and the volunteers, where a great deal of evangelism and apologetics occur. The Board of Directors has agreed to pay her monthly. Unfortunately it isn't very much but it is better than nothing. Likewise we have hired another person, Deborah, who is local. She comes over to the office once or twice a week and does administrative work. Her help has set me free to answer many e-mails, among other things. In fact, yesterday I was able to answer over 100 e-mails. Thanks to the Lord for his provision.
33rd Annual Atheist Convention
I am still planning to attend the 33rd annual atheist convention on the weekend of Easter in April (6th-8th) in Seattle, Washington. My intention is to go and learn as much as I can and, hopefully, interview some atheists with a video camera and get some contacts for interviews for my radio show. If you live in the area and would like to get together, please let me know. [email protected]
We are looking for a used car. As our family grows and oldest daughter approaches the age of driving, we find it necessary to get another vehicle. If there is anyone out there who has a good used car that might be willing to part with it for a few thousand dollars, please let me know. [email protected]
Still need a video camera
An important need that CARM has is a good video camera with which we can produced teaching videos. It needs to have an audio jack and be able to produce DVD quality video. If you know of a good camera and or would like to support CARM financially so that we can get a good one, please let us know.
The reason we need a new one is because the one we have doesn't have an audio jack input. Therefore, the sound quality isn't as good as we need.
Love and Hate Mail
CARM is constantly getting e-mails of thanks and praise and condemnation. Here are a few...in the raw. (At the suggestion of a reader, the hate mail is first so that the last taste in your mouth, is the love mail).
- Hate mail:
- You are doctrinally an infantile! You are destroying and damaging the Christian faith by doing the work of Satan. A wolf in sheep's clothing. Every prophecy of the Prophet Joseph Smith has either come to pass or will come to pass, including his prophecy that the U.S. Gov. was "overthrown". This is very clearly and illusion to the War Between the States and only an unholy, unworthy and foolish pretender to the understanding of the scriptures would make such statements. I hope lay aside your doctrinal differences and become a more civil and thoughtful person. But, if not, you shall stand before the Judgment Bar of Christ.
- I have succeeded in drawing out the demon. you hypocrite why do you behold the mote in your brothers eye first get the beam out of your own eye then you can see clearly to HELP your brother with his mote. I stand as a witness against you in the day of judgment. you take stuff out of context to match what it is you believe. do not respond to me ever again you are an abuser of the innocents. YOU WILL NOT SUCCEED. the Bible also teaches killing and if the Holy prophet Muhammad married a child that child was given to him in LEGAL marriage by her family and the marriage wasn't consummated until she was of age. these sorts of arrangements go on even now in today's world in the same fashion. in fact Hagar who was the handmaiden of Sarah was given to the prophet Abraham in LEGAL marriage she was also a child or at least she was very young. I have God on my side and beware The angels walk with me. now do not contact me again. clean up your act mind set your affairs in order you WARMONGER.
- First, I don't have the number for your radio show and Second, you would probably cut me off, because you don't want the truth out in the public; Third, God is some nebulous floating spirit with no identity among the clouds. Finally, unless you have seen God you really don't know what he is, except what your tradition and feeling tells you he is; my is equally valid. So, if you want to play the game that your theory is better than mine go ahead. I can tell you I know by the power of the Holy Ghost; you will say the same, wont you? So, in fact, you are extremely arrogant to discount a theory regarding the existence of God. And further, the truth is, Joseph Smith can be just as much a Prophet as Moses; How do you know he wasn't; because his concept of God; doesn't fit your "silly and foolish" concept? Your God is impersonal and estranged from his worshippers; a nebulous incoherent spirit; floating around in Space. Why? Is it because your lack of understanding makes it so?
- Love mail:
- I visited your site for the first time today and I must say that it entails a wealth of information that has helped me come to a better overall understanding of some important issues. My experience as a Christian has been in an environment mostly void of information other than a strait line " this is the way it is" theology I knew in my heart there was more to the story than what id been told, Keep up the good work.
- God bless your ministry. Praise and Glory to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!!!!, Ill keep you in my prayers as well as me in yours. God bless again!
- I've been listening to the podcast and browsing the site and the various articles for the past few months now and I'm VERY impressed! This site is a fantastic resource for upcoming apologists and Christians in general, and the radio show is fascinating. Two thumbs way up for the full contact theologian.
- II want to encourage you that the radio program, website and newsletter are a tremendous blessing to me and I tell other believers I meet about them. I am enrolled in all three schools. I have finished the School of Theology and I am in the middle of the School of Apologetics. Thank you so much for your faithfulness to our God in these endeavors. I am praying that God would strengthen you, give you rest and helpers to carry on the good work. I thank God for you my brother. May He continue to bless you and your family.
Same as Last Newsletter
- Podcast Link - If you are interested in listening to the radio podcasts of faith and reason, there are several options. One is to go to the CARM home page and click on the radio link, or go to www.carm.org/radio/radio.htm, or click on this link http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/emailverifySubmit?feedId=432798 and enter your e-mail address. Its free and you'll be notified every time the podcast page is updated.
- Feedback and Suggestions - I would love to have feedback and suggestions from the CARM readers about the website, the radio show, and this newsletter. Please feel free to let me know what you would like covered and/or addressed. [email protected]
- Please Support CARM - CARM is supported by the voluntary gifts and offerings of people like you. I have revamped the donations system and hope that this new year will bring in more support so that we can hire an additional staff person. Even $5 a month can make a big difference. CARM is on the front lines and we need all the help we can get. Please pray for us. We need it.
- Discussion Boards - The CARM Discussion Forums are doing extremely well. In less than a year we have over 13,700 people signed up as participants. We even have a donation option for people to support the Ministry and have extended posting privelaes. If you are interested in learning how to defend your faith as well as finding out what others believe about vendors, than the CARM discussion forums are the place to be.
- Chat Room http://www.carm.org/boards/chat.htm. Want a live discussion?
- Thanks Again - Thanks to all of you who have been signing up for the online schools and donations to CARM. They have been a real encouragement to this Ministry as they have increased lately.
- Prayer Ministry - CARM does have a prayer Ministry. If you are interested in joining us as we pray for others' needs, or if you have needs that you need prayer for, please go to http://www.carm.org/prayer.htm and sign up.
- Online Schools. Theology, Apologetics, and Critical Thinking. You can support CARM and also learn.
- Live Radio Show! - The show is called "Faith and Reason with Matt Slick." I am on for one hour, five days a week, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Mountain Time). It's a live call-in show where people can ask all kinds of questions dealing with Christianity, the Bible, cults, counseling, the occult, etc. You can call in to the number is 208-377-3790 and/or listen live via the Internet at www.myfamilyradio.com on the AM station. P odcasting CARM now has podcasting ability for past radio shows: http://feeds.feedburner.com/carmorgpodcasting.
Do you have any suggestions for the CARM newsletter or the CARM website? If so, please contact us at [email protected] We want to know what you think, areas of need that you would like to see addressed, as well as any comments you might have.