Welcome to the March 22, 2007 Newsletter
Last week I went to San Diego and then over the border to Tijuana, Mexico to preach in La Mesa Prison which was at one time, the ninth worst person in the world. it has improved greatly due to the prayers and work of many Christians. The main reason I went down there was to visit my wife's brother. About eight or nine months ago he went to Mexico to buy some prescription drugs. The only problem was he didn't have a Mexican prescription. That, combined with buying an excessive quantity (he has legitimate back pain problems), cost him a five-year sentence in what he describes as a hellhole.
By God's grace I was allowed to preach to about 50 men. I believe most of them were Christians and the rest are searching. All we can do is pray for them and ask that God use the situation to break their hearts open and work his miraculous redemption in them.
Briefly, here are a few exciting moments in Mexico. We almost got crushed by a semi-gasoline truck. We drove like mad-men, just to avoid traffic. The smog in Tijuana is horrible and my eyes were burning. A plan flew over with a blaring loudspeaker announcing something in Spanish. We visited the old folks home where 93 people were being cared for by volunteers. We did a prayer walk around the prison two times. We dropped off bread at a woman's shelter.
Also, for those of you who pray for me, I thank you.
Monday's Radio Show
The radio show has been going fine. I've enjoyed the increase in callers which makes the show more enjoyable for me; its kinda hard to do a one hour monologue. I love to answer questions and have little mini debates about issues. It's a lot of fun and I hope it is educational for those who are listening. If you want to hear past shows, please go to http://feeds.feedburner.com/carmorgpodcasting.
33rd Annual Atheist Convention
I am still planning to attend the 33rd annual atheist convention on the weekend of Easter in April (6th-8th) in Seattle, Washington. My intention is to go and learn as much as I can and, hopefully, interview some atheists with a video camera and get some contacts for interviews for my radio show. If you live in the area and would like to get together, please let me know. [email protected]
I've been invited to go to a city just outside Washington, DC to speak to a youth group, possibly speak at a local seminary, and maybe preach in a church or two. The date is not set yet, but we are looking at May or June.
Please Support CARM
I am always hesitant to remind people that we survive financially via the gracious donations of the CARM supporters. If you have not already, would you please consider a monthly donation of five dollars? You can easily set up at http://www.carm.org/goods/donations.htm
Still need a video camera
An important need that CARM has is a good video camera with which we can produced teaching videos. It needs to have an audio jack and be able to produce DVD quality video. If you know of a good camera and or would like to support CARM financially so that we can get a good one, please let us know.
The reason we need a new one is because the one we have doesn't have an audio jack input. Therefore, the sound quality isn't as good as we need.
Love and Hate Mail
CARM is constantly getting e-mails of thanks and praise and condemnation. Here are a few...in the raw. (At the suggestion of a reader, the hate mail is first so that the last taste in your mouth, is the love mail).
- Hate mail:
- Let's see....I guess you lack intellect substantial to offer responses to any of my counterpoints...I presume the "pompous *****" is what set you off. According to Merriam-Webster this is an "arrogant, obstinate person". Are you and your web site arrogant? Yes. Obstinate? Yes. I stand by my characterization. If you're going to be in the business of slamming other people's religious beliefs, you need to develop a thicker skin. I could have made my comments much worse. "Rude and insulting"???? Read what you have to say about people whose religious beliefs differ from yours! "Rude and insulting pompous *****" doesn't begin to describe you people!
- If there is one thing about bible thumpers I don't understand it is your need to feel people need to change. I am wiccan and there is nothing wrong with it. and if I wasn't and my daughter got involved i wouldn't need to read my bible. Paganism has been around for years before Christianity. so if u mush put down a religion put down ur. there is not reason for u to even mention wicca on your site. that's like me telling you next time I see a Christian i am going to run in circles naked not very nice huu?
- I didn't feel well when I came across your website, that makes me think how low a person or organization has to go to show their thinking as the best, hope u spend better your time talking positive.
- Love mail:
- I wanted to thank you for all of the great information on your site... It has helped my fianc�' and I, in so many ways. Actually, I referred my sister to your site also. ;o) My fianc�' and I have both rededicated our lives recently and he works out of town. As I was going through the site w/ him, I mentioned Arnold Murray... and he said, "I watch him every morning" (when he is out of town, during the week). I have watched Arnold Murray a couple of times myself, but I could only seem to watch him for a few minutes. Something did not seem right. I thought, maybe I just wasn't getting anything out of his preaching... & I certainly noticed that he seemed kind of hateful. Needless to say, you have been so helpful to my fianc�'. As he said, he would not be watching him any longer and he certainly did not want to be taking in false information... You are doing a wonderful thing and I know God will bless you, richly.
- I just want to thank you for "CARM". I'm 25 now and when I came to Christ at 16, CARM was the only "church" I had for several years because I had some issues with Christians...Your websites have really strengthened me in what I believe. I'm now a radical Spirit-filled man of God who is preparing to be a missionary in the 10/40 window. God has used you to bring me to where I am today and I'm thankful.
- I recently found your podcast show and was very impressed. Move over Hank Hanegraaff! I think you showed more patience than he and were very knowledgable. I loved the shows with the Mormon fellow. I'm impressed with his bravery in coming back. I bet his elders wish he wouldn't. My only quibble is with the sound quality of the podcast. Do you need a better microphone?
Same as Last Newsletter
- Podcast Link - If you are interested in listening to the radio podcasts of faith and reason, there are several options. One is to go to the CARM home page and click on the radio link, or go to www.carm.org/radio/radio.htm, or click on this link http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/emailverifySubmit?feedId=432798 and enter your e-mail address. Its free and you'll be notified every time the podcast page is updated.
- Feedback and Suggestions - I would love to have feedback and suggestions from the CARM readers about the website, the radio show, and this newsletter. Please feel free to let me know what you would like covered and/or addressed. [email protected]
- Please Support CARM - CARM is supported by the voluntary gifts and offerings of people like you. I have revamped the donations system and hope that this new year will bring in more support so that we can hire an additional staff person. Even $5 a month can make a big difference. CARM is on the front lines and we need all the help we can get. Please pray for us. We need it.
- Discussion Boards - The CARM Discussion Forums are doing extremely well. In less than a year we have over 13,700 people signed up as participants. We even have a donation option for people to support the Ministry and have extended posting privelaes. If you are interested in learning how to defend your faith as well as finding out what others believe about vendors, than the CARM discussion forums are the place to be.
- Chat Room http://www.carm.org/boards/chat.htm. Want a live discussion?
- Thanks Again - Thanks to all of you who have been signing up for the online schools and donations to CARM. They have been a real encouragement to this Ministry as they have increased lately.
- Prayer Ministry - CARM does have a prayer Ministry. If you are interested in joining us as we pray for others' needs, or if you have needs that you need prayer for, please go to http://www.carm.org/prayer.htm and sign up.
- Online Schools. Theology, Apologetics, and Critical Thinking. You can support CARM and also learn.
- Live Radio Show! - The show is called "Faith and Reason with Matt Slick." I am on for one hour, five days a week, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Mountain Time). It's a live call-in show where people can ask all kinds of questions dealing with Christianity, the Bible, cults, counseling, the occult, etc. You can call in to the number is 208-377-3790 and/or listen live via the Internet at www.myfamilyradio.com on the AM station. P odcasting CARM now has podcasting ability for past radio shows: http://feeds.feedburner.com/carmorgpodcasting.
Do you have any suggestions for the CARM newsletter or the CARM website? If so, please contact us at [email protected] We want to know what you think, areas of need that you would like to see addressed, as well as any comments you might have.