Welcome to the May 17, 2007 Newsletter
(Sorry, had to resend as HTML and not text. My bad)
Please remember CARM during the slow summer months
Back To Old Style
Thanks to everyone who responded to the newsletter-appearance-issue. If you remember, in the previous newsletter I asked people to go to a link and vote on what kind of e-mail newsletter style they would prefer. Here are the statistics. 60% said the stay with this style. 7% requested straight text and 33% requested an e-mail pointing to a newsletter on the CARM Web server. So, I'm going with the first and third options. Again, thank you very much for your feedback.
A young man in Portland, Maine, who is 18 years old has requested that I attend a Jehovah's Witness gathering (A district convention). But, it is too far and too short notice. because he is young, his parents don't feel comfortable having him go by himself -- which explains his invitation to me. But, If there is a Christian in the area of Portland, Maine who would be interested in attending with this young man, Jonathan, then please let me know and we'll forward your information to him. It's the 2nd and 3rd of June, Friday and Saturday. If interested, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I have been researching emergent churches and plan to release a section on CARM on that topic. Emergent churches seek to relate the gospel to present day, postmodern society. Some emergent churches are good and some are not. They range from orthodoxy to idiocy. There are two emergent churches in Seattle, Washington. I plan, in the next few weeks, to drive there from Boise Idaho and attend a service or two at each church. Also, there is another emergent church in Santa Cruz, California. I hope to drive down there and attend a service. Both of these excursions would help me get a "feel" for the emergent church meeting. It is one thing to write doctrinally, it is another to write experientially. And it is the latter issue that has become important in the emergent church movement.
Love and Hate Mail
CARM is constantly getting e-mails of thanks and praise and condemnation. Here are a few...in the raw. (At the suggestion of a reader, the hate mail is first so that the last taste in your mouth, is the love mail).
- Hate mail:
- Stop doing satan’s work, you co workers of the devil Religious free masons. Your condemning people to the pits of hell. Your taking the truth and adding poisons to it. You discust me.
- Your website dishonors Jehovah so much, do you know this or do you care? Reply back please, because I want to help you. Thank you
- I went to your website to see if I could get some information on Unity and its teachings with regard to its founders. I found what I was looking for, and continued to read the "information" there was offered on different cults and religions. What I found was biased and negative opinions regarding every other religion/cult or belief except yours. You must be a pentacostal or some other extreme form of "Christian". But your rhetoric shows you not to be a true Christian because you put down others' beliefs and glorify only yours. What really got me was the interpretation or offering of the Muslim faith. The quote you used made the religion sound bloodthirsty and negative. Islam is the religion of peace. You misrepresented it. Too bad. This fact makes what could have been an informative website just another platform for radical religion. and I don't expect an answer -- and you may not even read this -- but that's OK. I know you're out there in your own radical world. Now I know what to stay away from.
- How can u say all that crap u put on that website about Wicca? Do u really even know the basics? Have u seen god well have u, how can u believe something that is 2000 years old? Oh the bible is based on LOVE yeah right get real the bible is full of HATE, HYPOCRISY, LIES, and too strict for anyone. How about u wake up god fail u.
- You so-called CHRISTIAN APOLOGETICS & RESEARCH web site does not proceed from true Christianity
- Love mail:
- I want you to know that God used you to bring me back to Him. My wife and I have been deeply affected by your work - or rather God's work through you. Because of your articles defending the Truth, my faith was restored. We have recently left our old church which was stale, and buried in traditions. We will continue to support and pray for your ministries and I hope that these courses will help me to defend our Great God!!
- Regarding "This Age and the Age to come" Well done! I found it very interesting and enlightening. I can not say at this time that I agree with you 100%, but you definitely got me thinking. So, now I must head back to the drawing board, search the Scriptures, meditate, and pray fervently. However, you got me thinking and that's a good thing. Your ministry is in my prayers and God bless.
- Dear Matt, we definitely need the ministry of CARM in this day of apostasy. I've used a number of things from your website. I pray God will raise up people who are able to. God bless you as you work for Him.
- I have asked God to greatly bless this site, it is soooooooo incredibility important because it preach's Christ and Him crucified.
- I stumbled onto your site and I want to thank you guys for "earnestly contending for the faith". May God bless you guys for doing the dirty work in His service.