Welcome to the May 30, 2007 Newsletter
Mini-devotional - Thank you for 1 John 1:9
"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness," (1 John 1:9). There was this young man I used to know in my youth. I would like to speak to him again so I might rebuke him and correct his errant ways. I would like to talk sense into him and tell him how to avoid some serious sins and their consequent future anguish. But, that foolish young man is gone, never to be seen again -- I hope. He is a shadow now, a memory of self-centeredness and sin, a ghost from a past life.
Yet, that young man has left me with memories that I have tried to forget. But the Lord brought to surface a particular sin in a very sudden, unexpected, and profound conviction. So, I found myself struggling with a memory and suffering from it with a newfound pain and shame.
It hurt to remember what I was capable of doing in my youth.
Why did the Lord choose this day, after all these years, to bring this issue to light with renewed strength and guilt? I don't know. But, after hours of trying to ignore it, and avoid God in the process, I finally chose to confess my sins not only to God, but also to someone who I love and trust. You see, for some reason I needed to speak about it. I needed to confess it with audible words. I don't know why I needed to. I just did. So, I told my wife about that old sin and cried while confessing. This sin didn't involve her, but I needed her to hear it. I needed my wife to hear my words.
She touched me with a gentle hand, kind words, and spoke about forgiveness in Jesus.
But, the most important person I had to confess my sins to was the Lord. Of course, I know he is eager and willing to forgive. That is how he is. Therefore, it was with confidence that I finally approached him, yet again, in confession and, by his grace, was cleansed once more. I am so glad for 1 John 1:9 and its demonstration of love, commitment, and forgiveness that flows from the heart of God through the person of Jesus. God forgives because of Jesus. I am forgiven because of Jesus.
Are their sins in your life that you have suppressed? If so, has your suppression moved you further away from God and caused you to be uncomfortable when contemplating the things of God? If this is the case, confess your sins to the Lord and, if need be, to those whom you have offended. Receive forgiveness, kindness, grace, and peace from the Lord and only he can give. God is faithful, even when we are not.
Next weekend, I might also be going to the east side of Idaho to a city called Rexburg. The plan is to go Saturday night, get a hotel, and attend a church service the following morning. There is a Calvary Chapel opening up there in the midst of a very heavy Mormon population. I was told that cover Chapel had some difficulty with the Mormons during a preliminary "test" service in that area. I wanted to attend, take notes, and support this pastor and congregation in their difficult task. I'll let you know if and when I go and what happens
Love and Hate Mail
CARM is constantly getting e-mails of thanks and praise and condemnation. Here are a few...in the raw. (At the suggestion of a reader, the hate mail is first so that the last taste in your mouth, is the love mail).
Same as Last Newsletter
- Hate mail:
- I think that you, Mr. Matt Slick, are a sadistic cult leader. If people like you will be in heaven, I will more than happy to take my place in Hell. You are a disgrace to humanity. I yearn for the day people like you are systematically slaughtered. I will feel pity for you.
- I read your articale about pokemon and it was very helpfull. It made me realize how some sites like yours are a load of crap. Yes i said it your hole organization is crap. there is nothing wrong about pokemon there never will be. So you need to shut up and go hide in a corner.
- I have reviewed your website and have concluded that you are producing a message that is contrary to Christ. I must ask you to reconsider, to abandon the ways of Satan, and embrace the Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church. Only through the Church can you be saved. Otherwise, you are nothing more than false prophets and blasphemers that Our Saviour warned us about. I will pray for your souls that are otherwise damned. EMBRACE THE FAITH, blasphemers. Jesus will return and judge you.
- you think Christ has called you to do his work by wasting your time attempting to discredit other religions of believers in his Father? you really think you should be wasting all of your energy on that while people are starving and in need of real help all over the world? Christ calls us to spread the news of him to nonbelievers, not to discredit everyone we (who are men) decide don't worship him properly (don't hate people who dont hate you for worshipping God in a way that you have no idea about)
- Love mail:
- I just wanted to say how impressed I was with he accuracy of the LDS doctrine that you have on your site. I am Mormon and it is so nice to have a non-Mormon site actually presenting actual Mormon doctrines. Most sites I visit usually are immature and innaccurate, but, your site is accurate and handles the doctrine very clearly. I realize that you are doing what you feel is right and I appreciate you doing it in a way which is not slanderous and mean. We all have different beliefs, and I respect yours and appreciate how your sites respect ours. Keep up the good work.
- Just wanted to say thank you for your ministry... very good stuff... Be encouraged and keep fighting the good fight!
- God bless you, brother in Christ. Keep up the terrific work. I'm always encouraged by your newsletters and communication knowing that you have been walking with faith and not just by sight. I will continue to pray for you and your family.
- I would just like to thank matt slick for being an instrument that God used to save me. he doesn't have to spend all of his time on Carm especially because he doesn't get paid, but if he ever wonders if people just hate him and want to shut him down then i want him to know that i was one soul that was saved.