|Luke 10:38-42, "Now as they were traveling along, He entered a certain village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who moreover was listening to the Lord’s word, seated at His feet. 40 But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him, and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; 42 but only a few things are necessary, really only one, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” |
The dictionary says that devotion is dedication, earnest attachment, or in the sense of the sacred, it is religious observance and/or worship. Sometimes I cannot help but wonder at the simplicity of Mary's devotion, of her sitting at the feet of Christ and being in his presence. How can such non-action be devotion? If we are devoted to Christ, shouldn't we be busy doing his will? Shouldn't we be out preaching and teaching the gospel? Sometimes I think we mistake devotion to Christ as something that needs to be proved. But, not so. Devotion to Christ is just that, devotion to Christ and it isn't proved by action, but by fellowship, by "being" with Jesus.
Jesus praised Mary for her inaction. Well, not exactly. She was doing something: seeking the presence of Jesus. He knew that what she was doing, being with him, was better than serving him -- and that is the key. Being with Jesus is better than serving him. This does not mean that we are to do nothing as Christians as far as reaching out to the world goes. But it does mean that the intimate, devotional life that you are to have his best to find by "being with Christ".
Being with Christ means you read his word and you meditate upon the Scriptures. It also means that in prayer you spend time with him. In prayer, which is the practice of the presence of God, you bow your head and heart before the Lord and you seek his presence. This is good not so much because of what you do, but because of who Christ is. It is good for you to seek Jesus because of who you are seeking. It is good for you to spend time with him. Therefore, being with Christ is better than being busy. He is the greatest treasure and we should measure all things according to his wonder and greatness.
I'm sure that after Mary left the side of Christ, she went about living his presence in the world. Do you think that she was unaffected by sitting at Christ's feet? Or do you believe that after being in his presence, after dwelling with him, as she rose and went out into the world that she carried with her the memory and the effect of being with him as she dealt with others?
What do you carry into the world? Do you carry the presence of Christ or of something else? If not, it's because you're not spending enough time with him.
- Thanks for your support - in the last newsletter I let everyone know that the donations for CARM had dropped off. I'm pleased to say that many of you signed up to support both the radio show and CARM in general. The radio show will continue for at least one more month, thanks to support.
Do you think CARM is a valuable resource? Is it worth supporting? Are you getting fed by this ministry? If so, then would you please consider signing up for just $5 monthly recurring donation? If you've already done so, thanks. If not, the process is simple and easy. We have a page with multiple options via PayPal at http://www.carm.org/goods/donationscarm.htm where there is a $5 option. Five bucks a month! Is it worth supporting CARM for that?
If you don't have a PayPal account, you'll need to get one (Sorry for any inconvenience, but it is the best way so far and its secure). The whole thing takes five minutes, tops. Helping us would be a small step of faith on your part that can be a big help to us.
- Perhaps it might help you to know that CARM uses its funds to help others in giving and employment. We put a lot of work into this ministry with regular 50 hour work weeks. We are producing videos, workbooks, and more articles. We believe in trusting the Lord and keeping our eyes on him as we move forward. We're not giving up and we're not going away. To God be the glory.
- Don't forget to vote. CARM can't take sides in the political world, but don't vote based on skin color, political party, gender, or age. Vote based on the issues and make sure you are responsible in your assessment of the candidates. This election is an important one as it will affect future laws profoundly.
- I will be in Weston Florida at the First Baptist Church at Weston Florida from 11/9-11/12. I'll be preaching Sunday Morning and speaking at several other church gatherings during the week. Please pray for me.
- I'm still working on finishing up an evangelism novel called The Garden. I hope to find a publisher in the next two months. If you know of a lead for an agent, I'd love to contact him/her.
- Looks like the UCLA debate is moved to December 11th. I am supposed to debate an atheist on which is superior, the Christian ethical system or an atheistic one.
- Portland Oregon, January. Looks like I might be in another debate with an atheist on the same basic topic of which is superior, the Christian or atheist ethical system. More info later.
- Also, I'm tentatively scheduled to debate another atheist on the same topic in Portland, Oregon in late January. I'll keep you posted on this one.
- Drupal. Looks like Drupal is the CMS of choice for CARM, not Joomla. We've got someone helping out and knows Drupal very well, but I could always use more advice -- especially since we don't want to burn this guy out. If you have some, please contact me at [email protected]
Also, there are a lot of webpages to convert from the old site to the Drupal database system. If you want to volunteer some time converting the articles, please let me know. What I would do is check you out, make sure you're not an evil spy, and give you access to be able to add articles. There are several hundred we have to do and I've been adding them regularly. It's a very daunting task. Anyway, if you want to volunteer some time, don't hesitate to contact me.
(Ryan Turner is on vacation in North Carolina)
|I agreed to mention a program if they gave me a discount to purchase it. The program is a generic tele-prompter software package that I am using in making CARM videos. So, in keeping with my agreement, I'm letting me know about FloSpace. In all honesty, it's pretty good. It is very easy to use. I let it run on my laptop that I place underneath the camera and read the text as it flows. It's not a highfalutin teleprompter system with angled in reflective glass, but it gets the job done. So, if you're interested in something similar, check it out at http://www.flospace.com/.|
- The DVD debates between Matt Slick and Roger Perkins (Oneness believer) are now available. If you are interested in them, then go to http://shop.carm.org/shop/?shop=1&cat=35&cart=2496360.
- The DVD's for the Pensacola debate that I had with an atheist in April are here. If you are interested in getting the video DVD's, then go to http://shop.carm.org/shop/?shop=1&cat=35&. We will provide the MP3 (audio format) for download later.
|If you like what CARM does and want to support it, we have some options. WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT!|
- Sign up $5 Monthly support for CARM
|Would you like to support CARM but also get the best Bible research program out there? If you're serious about studying the Bible and want what is, in my opinion, the best Bible program available, then get Logos Bible Software. |
- You win because Logos will give you 25% off if you go through CARM. Just click here: http://www.logos.com/carm.
- CARM wins, because Logos will donate a portion of every sale back to CARM.
- Logos wins, by spreading the Word, making more sales, and getting more people into better Bible study.
By the way, I've used various free software programs. They work, but none of them approach the quality and depth offered by logos.
|What the Heck?|
This feature is not so we can make fun of anyone. This is serious stuff. It is to show what kind of thinking is out there. We regularly get stuff like this. Pray for this ministry.
Sorry, nothing good to put here this newsletter.
|How would you like to work in the ministry where the rewards are small, the challenges are huge, you get ridiculed, there's spiritual attack, sometimes you don't know if you are going to make it financially, you have to support yourself, and you have to research and write about false systems and compare them with Scripture? |
If that sounds appealing, then maybe you might be interested in working with CARM.
You can be male or female. You have to agree to the CARM statement of faith, and I prefer (though it is not necessary) people who are educated and/or experienced in their field of expertise. But I must reiterate; this is not an easy ministry. It is time-consuming, often unrewarding, frustrating, etc. But, there are rewards. You get to know that what you produce will affect thousands of people for years to come. This ministry is a challenge and it is not for the fainthearted. Interested? If so, contact Matt at [email protected]
Love and Hate Mail
- Hate Mail
- Whoever you are, you should really do your research a little better. Not by reading and spreading negative propaganda but by actually taking the time to get to know these people and what they believe - and why they believe the way they do. I am not a Jehovah's Witness. However I am a firm believer is treating others - even those we disagree with or do not understand - with the same love and kindness and compassion (and, I might add, RESPECT) that Christ showed those who persecuted him. Christ does not support negative propaganda against any that seek to know him - regardless of how they worship. If you choose to dissociate yourself with those who do not support your beliefs, that is your choice. But do not, in the name of the Almighty God disrespect those who, according to you, do not understand His doctrine. Did not Christ say, "Love those that hate you, pray for those who despitefully use you, . . . " Even the hated publicans were kind to their friends. Jesus taught that we should be kind to everyone - even those that do not treat us kindly. So, how can you possibly say that someone else's heart is not pure because you disagree with their doctrinal beliefs? "Judge not that ye be not judged, for with that same judgement with which you judge another shall Christ judge you on that final judgement day when he answers yea or nay to your plea to enter into his rest.
- I bet your children get ***** at you for not being able to put them through college. People like you live on menial handouts and end up on te streets as beggers. You can pray to your sky-daddy all you want. No wonder the poor like you needs their fairy tale.
- 1.) Christians are a bunch of dumb suckers for the broken-record flat-earth school of theology. 2.) Having 2000 years of idiots give fallacious assertions that a God exists is no proof that one does exist. 3.) Religion is nothing but a useless crutch for losers who can't deal with life's brutal realities. 4.) In a lame attempt to justify their faith, these hypocrite smurf-chanters become mindless parrots spouting centuries old clichés at people.
- If God has complete foreknowledge of each mans fate, then so many men are born for no other purpose than to suffer in your hypothetical 'hell'. Why would this all-loving God create a place of eternal torment in the first place, if his foreknowledge knows we will 'sin' in the future? Does he derive some kind of pleasure or satisfaction from witnessing pain? Whether your deity of fire and brimstone projects all-good, loving or neurotic sadism on a holy cosmic scale, will be left to the conscience of those reading this to decide.
- Love Mail
- I just noticed that I even made a mistake spelling 'studying' while critiquing. I guess we are all fallible. Yes, I'm learning a great deal! I had no idea when I started these classes of yours that I would be learning about so many things such as Infralapsarianism, just brilliant. It's very convenient to be able to do it on my time, having four kids and all. I can't wait for the apologetics and critical thinking lessons. You are doing a great service for the Lord. BTW Matt, I saw that debate you had with Edwin Kagin and was very pleased that God allowed you to win, because you did.
- Good to see that some christians are finally fighting back against the ***** atheists who make up most of the mainstream atheism. Atheism is something personal, and people shouldn't take it out on others. Just though I'd tell you that not all atheists are *****, and some of them, like me are actually nice, respectful people who feel enough is enough.
- I just can't say enough about how clear, simple and helpful your site is. What a blessing.
- You did a very nice job with the biblical explanations & written dialogue with the Muslim from Pakistan. (not an easy task when someone has such limited language skills) I could sense your genuine compassion & concern for him with your responses. I have been in a prison ministry for many years in South Dakota. We have a large Native American population (unfortunately disproportionately high in prison) so I appreciate how challenging it can be with the situation you had. Your web site is truly a blessing to many people. I’m sure Satan despises it but you can tell a lot about a person from their friends as well as their enemies. keep up the great work and Jesus bless you.
- Wow,I read the Bible and the life of Christ but was still very overwhelmed buy the description of his brutal and tortuous death. It really had a positive effect on me and gave me a image to remember.Thank you for the very detailed description of the pain Jesus suffered and I believe that his pain needs to be known by everyone....
| Matt Slick|