Welcome to the Nov. 9, 2006 Newsletter
From the President, Matt Slick
Salt Lake City
Some of you may be familiar with Bill McKeever, the president and founder of Mormonism Research Ministry. He is based out of the Salt Lake City, Utah area. This weekend I will be visiting with Bill and accompanying him to the Tanners bookstore in Salt Lake on Saturday. It is a good opportunity to rub elbows with one of the premier experts on Mormonism in the country. Bill is the author of numerous books and is in demand as a speaker. So, pray for our time together. It should be beneficial. By the way, you can check out his website at www.mrm.org.
For three Wednesdays in a row I have had Mark Bonocore as a guest on the Faith and Reason Radio Show. He is a well-known Catholic apologist. Our conversations have been polite though sometimes a little tense. We have battled over the issue of whether or not the Bible alone is sufficient for all rule and authority for the Christian. Mark argued for sacred tradition and actually said in his last comment on Wednesday shortly before the show ended, "Catholic sacred tradition is superior to Scripture." Wow! Next week we are supposed to focus on Mary and this is where things should get interesting since the Roman Catholic Church elevates Mary to idolatrous levels. If you're interested in hearing past dialogues go to http://feeds.feedburner.com/carmorgpodcasting. Let me Know what you think.
I continue to get a positive feedback on the idea of producing video theology lessons. This is something I have been thinking about quite a bit and after I finish a project here in a couple of weeks, I think I will begin working on the outlines for those lessons. Since I have a small video camera and a large office, I can do the filming in front of the bookcase, and/or a backdrop of some sort. Hopefully, I can then go back through the lessons and add Scripture overlays where necessary. In addition, I would like to develop handouts and lessons is that could accompany the videos. Of course, I will have to acquire and learn how to use video editing software. It is another expense and another learning curve. But, that hasn't stopped me before. So, for those of you who responded about the video idea, thank you very much. It was very encouraging.
Need staff: someone to raise support and move to Boise, ID.
I'm still hoping that by God's grace he will provide one or more individuals who would be willing to relocate to the Boise area, be discipled in apologetics, and work with me in developing CARM to a much broader audience as well is developing more content. I'm looking for someone who is educated and/or has a passion for apologetics, and/or who can write, and/or can do web development, and/or wants to work with CARM. I firmly believe in using the ability of others to do the work of this Ministry. I'm not in it for my glory. I'm in it to equip the body of Christ and bring glory to God. This world is not a playground. It is a battleground. We are to be fishers of men, not keepers of the aquarium. So, I'm aiming to do the best I can with what God has given me.... and I need help to do it. Interested? [email protected] But, don't contact me unless you are very serious about it.
Thanks to all of you who have been signing up for the online schools and donations to CARM. They have been a real encouragement to this Ministry as they have increased lately. Again thank you for supporting this Ministry.
The CARM homepage was accessed 36,558 times last week. The entire site was accessed 321,616 times last week. CARM had 93,342 unique visitors in that month with a total of 401,794 unique visitors for the month of October.
Do you have any suggestions for the newsletter or the CARM website? If so, let me know at [email protected] Thanks.
Note: please remember that CARM is supported by the volunteer gifts of its readers.
Love and Hate Mail
CARM is constantly getting e-mails of thanks and praise and condemnation. Here are a few...in the raw. (At the suggestion of a reader, the hate mail is first so that the last taste in your mouth, is the love mail).
- Why don't you get the devil out of your hard soul?????
- if you have even the slightest inclination towards integrity in your scholarship or religious activities -- if truth means something to you consider the absolute hypocrisy you advertise on your website.
- I just read what you have written on the internet and it is a bunch of garbage. you have no idea what you are talking about. . . destroying anybodies beliefs is a horrid thing to do.
- Just checking in to see if you've been able to figure out the truth and stop selling the lies. Let me know if you need help.
- You are a double-talking biased hypocrite!
- CARM is a very slanderous site. Thanks for confirming that Christianity reflects the mind of the flesh, the "diabolos".
- I have done my research on you and have decided that you aren’t even close to my level of intelligence.
- CARM is the Anti-Christ of freedom of religion, like so many government agencies and their Laws restricting freedoms that "once upon a time" were rightfully given to us at birth.
- Love mail
- I found your web site a little while ago and have been looking at it when I have time at work. I'm a former 43 yr Roman Catholic and when Jesus called me I responded by reading His word (for the most part for the first time) and loving Him more than I ever dreamed possible as before when I heard, Love your God with all your heart, all your mind, all your strength and all your soul it didn't really have any impact on me at all. Today about 1.5 yrs later I'm Solo Jesus, Solo Scripture, Solo God all the way. I've enjoyed reading several parts and look forward to reading more.
- Just wanted you to know that I am listening to your podcasts every day. I live in Sydney Australia and love what you're doing and how your ministry is impacting the cause of the gospel.
- recently jahova witnesses came to my door, being of a small town, i have never encountered them. your website has given me the insight to their beliefs. being a Christian i knew their belief was wrong, but didn't really know why. thanks to your website, i now know what they believe and know it is truely wrong. thank you so much for your website.
- First time I’ve been directed to the CARM site. What an inspiration. You are in favorites, and I’ll be back. Thank you.
- Hey, just like to say that the CARM website is really brilliant, one of my favorite websites on the net! well written, and awesomely useful!
Same as Last Newsletter
Please consider supporting CARM financially at $5 per month: here
Prayer Ministry - CARM does have a prayer Ministry. If you are interested in joining us as we pray for others' needs, or if you have needs that you need prayer for, please go to http://www.carm.org/prayer.htm and sign up.
Online Schools. Theology, Apologetics, and Critical Thinking. You can support CARM and also learn.
Discussion Boards - http://www.christiandiscussionforums.org/v/index.php. We have a very active discussion boards.
Chat Room - http://www.carm.org/boards/chat.htm. Want a live discussion?
Live Radio Show! - The show is called "Faith and Reason with Matt Slick." I am on for one hour, five days a week, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Mountain Time). It's a live call-in show where people can ask all kinds of questions dealing with Christianity, the Bible, cults, counseling, the occult, etc. You can call in to the number is 208-377-3790 and/or listen live via the Internet at www.myfamilyradio.com on the AM station.
Podcasting CARM now has podcasting ability for past radio shows: http://feeds.feedburner.com/carmorgpodcasting.
Weekly Teaching Time on Paltalk - Every Tuesday evening I host a live discussion room on paltalk.com. Paltalk is a free voice chat system that is quite good. It is full of Christians as well as non-Christians and the battles over truth are frequent. It is however, a good place to learn how to defend your faith. If interested, please join us for our weekly discussion by going to paltalk, download the program, and join us on Tuesday evenings at 8pm, Mountain time.
Do you have any suggestions for the CARM newsletter or the CARM website? If so, please contact us at [email protected] We want to know what you think, areas of need that you would like to see addressed, as well as any comments you might have.