by Matt Slick
- Teaching - The Catholic system of Salvation is unbiblical and dangerous because it teaches salvation by works and faith. Check out what official Roman Catholic sources say: "In every circumstance, each one of us should hope, with the grace of God, to persevere 'to the end' and to obtain the joy of heaven, as God's eternal reward for the good works accomplished with the grace of Christ," (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1821). And, "so that all men may attain salvation through faith, Baptism and the observance of the Commandments," (CCC, 2068). Obviously Catholicism teaches salvation by keeping commandments. When I point this out, Catholics often respond by saying Old Testament Law is not necessary to keep. Instead, New Testament commandments are necessary. They often say that faith plus works done to God's grace guided by love is what merits the reward of heaven. This is double talk.
Anyway, whether a Catholic thinks salvation is by faith and obeying the Ten Commandments, or by faith that is formed by love such as loving God and loving his neighbor, it is still Law. The command to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind is found in Deuteronomy 6:5. The command to love your neighbor as yourself is found in Leviticus 19:18. This is Old Testament Law! Therefore, no matter what the Roman Catholic says, his "works of love" fall under the category of Old Testament Law. We can see though, that the Bible tells us we're not justified by any works of the Law. Instead, it is by faith alone. Romans 3:28 says, "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law." Romans 4:5 says, "But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness." So, it should be obvious that the Roman Catholic system of salvation contradicts Scripture. Furthermore, consider these verses. Gal. 3:10, "For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, 'Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, to perform them.'” James 2:10, "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all." Can any Catholic keep the Law perfectly? Of course not! The standard is too high because it is God's perfect standard. Obviously, the system of Roman Catholic salvation is contrary to Scripture and cannot save anyone. What they need is salvation by faith alone in Christ alone. There is no other way.
- Finances are Low - Would you consider supporting CARM at five dollars a month? It would really help us. We are now working with a Russian translator to convert CARM to Russian, and we hope to get a Chinese contact soon for translating as well. These translators do not work for free. Remember, last year CARM was accessed by 7.5 million people. There isn't a more efficient way to use your five dollars a month to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ!
- Radio Show Support - As I mentioned in the previous paragraph, finances are low here at CARM. If things continue this way, some of the cutbacks may include the radio show. So, if anyone is interested in supporting the radio show in order to keep it on the air, then please go here and sign up. You'll see different options for support, and you can cancel at any time. If you're one of the listeners to the show and you have learned from it, would you please consider supporting it? Thank you.
- Debate - Last week I was in an online formal debate with a Roman Catholic who is theologically trained. I prepared well, but in my opinion my opponent didn't prepare anything. He was not able to answer my challenge to him - which I simplified in the opening statement of this newsletter. If you are interested in hearing the debate please go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1VXiPea4vc.
- Amazon Wish List - Due to my laptop crashing two times (so far) while on the radio, and because our finances are low, I've requested a laptop on the Amazon Wish List.
- CARM APP For Phones - The CARM Phone APP is progressing nicely. It should be released by the end of February. We are going to ask $1 for it so we can not only recoup the several thousand dollars in costs to develop it, but also, hopefully, fund more development of that app.
- Hello my name is Jordan, I'm 17 and I live in Texas. My mother is not a christian currently, however this site has greatly helped me present truth to her and I delight in Gods word now like never before. Jesus Christ is working powerfully through your ministry. I continue to be thankful to the Lord because of you all, God bless you!
- I wanted to thank you for what you are doing. I'm reading through your website and I find it very useful for me. All is very enlightening and I am interested especially in the catholic issues, sice I have grown in a totally catholic environment. I've alway had some doubts on something they teach, but I just took what I understood as biblical. I now am a christian, but I am still growing and your website helps me in clarifying the thruth. Thanks!
- I started listening to Matt on 94.1 at 3:00pm lately, found out about the CARM website, and have since thoroughly enjoyed reading and watching the content. God bless CARM and Matt for teaching the truth, and opening my eyes to many things I never knew or I had misunderstood in the past. Matt gets a lot of hate mail, so I just want to give some encouragement and say keep up the awesome work! Great job teaching and equipping, and thank you for standing tall in a world full of people trying to destroy Jesus and God's Word.
- I was an evangelical for 30+ years, but eventually tired of all the hate speech, and hateful ways that those in the church around me handled life. Jesus Christ did not call for any of this. I'm sure that you will have your usual excuses to justify your behavior but I'm sick to death of that. I even left christianity for several years believing that Jesus Christ could not be real if his followers practiced so much hate. I became Muslim. Two years ago, I began to study with Mormon Sisters, and along the way encountered lots of Mormon haters on Youtube. I actually used what they said to help in my own research because I would just refute their accusations and it made my own belief stronger. Along the way, I encountered you. Finding that hate and negative talk were still alive and well in the evangelicals, I joined the Mormon faith. Taylor Swifts song "Mean" is apt here. You guys will always just be mean. Gwen
- I dont belong to any church nor would I because of all this trash talking you people do. I have never heard so much bashing of other ministries as I do by you and calvary chapel. Dont know if you are affiliated with them but they are pretty good at trash talking also. I listen to Pastor Murray a few times a week and have never heard any of the things you claim. He does have a little harsh attitude sometimes that gets under my skin, but overall I think he does a good job. Maybe you should worry about yourselves rather than constantly putting others down for what they believe.