From Matt Slick, President
- 2012 Newsletter - My apologies for not getting this newsletter sooner. Every time I went to work on it, something came up. Praise God I'm busy.
- 2011 CARM Stats - CARM is growing. Here are the stats for 2011.
- 14,574,440 pageviews for 2011 with a monthly average of 1,214,537. A pageview is when a web page is viewed.
- 5,487,864 returning visitors, which comes out to approximately 15,000 returning visitors a day.
- Over 10,000 Likes on Facebook
- Produced more than 300 articles
- CARM Radio - We are moving the radio show from the A.M. station which is presently broadcast from 5-6 PM (MST) to the F.M. station, 3 - 4 PM (MST) beginning March 1. Each FM show will then be rebroadcast at the regular time on the AM station. The cost is twice as much (and we're going to start asking for support to cover costs), but it also covers twice as many people -- via a much stronger signal. Hopefully, this will be a good move.
- Is Mormonism Christian? - Due to the discussions of Mormonism in politics lately, CARM has experienced a healthy surge in pageviews. In fact, if you go to Google and type in "Is Mormonism Christian?" CARM is the number one "organic" result. "Organic" means natural search result, not paid. The LDS church has to pay to have their ad appear above CARM. We're doing something right! In fact, we have someone working with us who is excellent in SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and his suggestions have been invaluable.
- Israel Trip - CARM is working with MRM.org (Mormonism Research Ministry) to go to Israel in February of 2013. I'm planning on going along with my wife. If you are interested in venturing out with us, please check out the link Israel Trip for details.
- January Conference - In the first week of January, I hosted an apologetics conference. Several people flew in and drove in and for 4 days. We huddled and I taught on a variety of topics including theology, logic, apologetics, God's existence, Catholicism, and more. Matt Marino, a local pastor, joined in for a couple hours and taught on Philosophy. It was a great time. I'm thinking of doing another one during the summer. Details to come.
- JW Research CD - Does anyone have access to the latest JW research CD? I'd love to get my hands on one. I have one from 2001. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need a tax attorney - As we venture into new areas, we are needing the consultation of a Tax Attorney. We have several questions we need to ask. If you can help, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Need a Copyrite attorney - We have some questions about copyright issues.
- Amazon Wish List - We have a wishlist on Amazon. If you want to help CARM out, go here.
- Lawyer - Carlos, our Columbia missionary who runs the Spanish version of CARM called miapi.com, is unable to come to the United States due to a legal issue from many years ago. He's now a Christian and wants to get things cleared up. He says it isn't that serious an issue...but he needs help. Is there a lawyer out there who'd be interested in lending a hand? If so, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Funding to translate The Influence into Spanish - Our same connection in Columbia knows a Christian publisher there (we spoke via Skype). We are going to try and raise the funds to have my novel The Influence translated into Spanish. I estimate the translation to cost around $3000. Again, if you want to help and think that it would be a good endeavor, please contact us at email@example.com.
- E Publishing on Amazon - If you know how to publish books as E-books on Amazon, I'd love to talk to you. I plan to start doing this more and more and need to learn how. If you can help, please contact us. Thanks.
- MIAPIC.com - Since its release on Nov. 22, 2009, miapic.com has had a total of 1.8 million page views with 1.2 million visitors. Praise God. Carlos, who runs the site, is doing a great job and we are supporting him. Right now, Carlos and a helper are beginning a prison ministry in Bogotá, Columbia. They need $120 to cover initial costs. If you'd like to support their effort please send a donation to CARM, PO BOX 1353, Nampa ID 83651 and designate it for the Columbia Prison Ministry. Thanks and God bless.
Love and Hate Mail
- I travel a lot for work..............one day while in the hotel, I came across this Murray guy on the TV. Sounded warm and fuzzy.............was alright to listen to. But there was always something that bothered me and I couldn't but my finger on it. So today some other guy was on the same program but in the next episode Murray was back..........that feeling kept bothering me............I was not in total agreement as to what he was saying...but I know some Christians can be petty over disagreements concerning the interpretation of doctrine.....so I tried not to be judgemental...........still something was eating at me..........so I googled Sheperd's Chapel and lo and behold...............I KNEW IT !!!............something wasn't right and this website brought it to light....thank you.
- Thanks for the website Matt. It's a wonderful way to spread the gospel. I will be signing up for the classes soon.
- Excellent blessing for those of us who value truth. Being grounded in the Word gives us that personal relationship with God knowing how to worship Him in spirit and truth, realizing that religion was merely a stepping stone in the foundation of our faith for we had to start somewhere. CARM is a spiritual feast with no bones to throw away
- "I was listening to your radio show last Saturday (it was the Friday night one, but the time difference makes it Saturday for me). I have listened to your show about five or six times over the past year, out of some form of morbid curiosity more than anything else. Over the period I have listened, you have read out a few emails which you have termed as ‘hate mail’. I presume you use this term loosely, as I can only recall one even coming close to what most people would consider ‘hate’. By using the term ‘read out’ I am glossing over the manner of your reading out, which is often mocking and nasty. Having listened to other people reading out ‘hate mail’ for example Richard Dawkins , in a straight forward manner, I can only wonder at this method. But regardless of this, on last Fridays show you asked for more ‘hate’ mail. I thought I would respond, although as I don’t ‘hate’ you, it may not qualify as ‘hate mail’. I would be very surprised though, if we were ever to meet, that we would find anything in each other to like, or indeed any common ground. I fully expect that we would be polar opposites in regard to not only religion, but also politics and most social issues. While on the subject of hate, I also do not hate religion or the version of god found in the bible. I am, as you may or may not be aware, an atheist. By that I mean I know there is no god, so hating ‘god’ is a waste of energy. While I find the Abrahamic religions immoral and evil, and even though I will spend my life speaking up against them, this is not ‘hate’. You will of course want to challenge me on the use of the terms ‘immoral’ and ‘evil’. No, I do not believe in absolute morality, nor do I think it is necessary. In short I believe that we have developed morality through social evolution. I think Sam Harris develops this argument quite well. But I digress. Without going into a long debate on morality, I will briefly point out why I find the Abrahamic religions immoral and evil (this no doubt fulfils the ‘hate’ requirement part of this email). Quite simply I find the treatment of women from Genesis to Revelation to be abhorrent. But it is not only the treatment of women, there are many instances of behaviour in the bible that would not be tolerated in today’s society. That many christians see the god of the bible, and the teachings of the bible as good and moral leaves me astounded. As you know the bible as well as I do, I am sure you know what parts I am briefly referring to. But so be it. Obviously I cannot develop any of these points, this is after all a ‘hate’ email, and needs to be short and pointed. I wish you well, Matt and of course I hope one day you too will realise that god does not exist.
- There is a way to know the truth but you are obviously afraid of taking it.
- Anybody that believes God would punish and torture His creations like you do is whacked