From Matt Slick, President
- NRB Conference - I went to the national religious broadcasting conference in Nashville, Tennessee a couple of weeks ago in hopes of making contacts with people in the media. I think it was worth going there once, but I don't know if any seriously beneficial contacts were made. I have a lot of information that I brought back with me that I still have to sort through. Hopefully, the contacts I made might alleviate some problems in the carm e-commerce area as well as donor tracking software.
- Southern California - I will be in Southern California from May 28th-31st. It might be possible to meet with people (CARMites) at a central location, probably in Orange County, Irvine Area on one of the days. My wife's brother is getting out of a Mexican Prison after five long years. He went in a complete pagan and is emerging a solid Christian...and boy, does he have stories. So, between family and friends I might have a single night to have a meeting at a restaurant if anyone is interested...or if someone wants me to speak somewhere, let me know. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kansas City - I'll be speaking at the EMNR (Evangelical Ministries to New Religions, emnr.org) conference in Kansas City from 3/15/2011 to 3/19/2011, on the Hadith, the Islamic second most important literary document next to the Quran. Please pray for that time, that it will go well, traveling mercies, etc.
- Radio Show - I am still waiting on the Lord regarding continuing the radio show. I'm not going to make any hasty decisions. But because I'm so busy I have entertained the idea of stopping the show. After all, five years is a long time and the show has not expanded to any other markets and the calls seemed to have been slowing down. Anyway, for the past couple of weeks I have been doing lessons on Christian theology. I've really enjoyed just sitting there in the studio and teaching on such things as the Trinity, the person and work of Jesus, the person and work of the Holy Spirit, the difference between justification and sanctification, law and gospel, etc. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback which is very good. We hope to make the audio versions available on the CARM website soon.
- Roman Catholic Course - I finally finished the Roman Catholic Course Manual. It took a great deal of research, pruning, configuring, etc., to make it be functional, accurate, nice looking, and easy to use. If you want to see a sample of some of the pages, just go to www.carm.org/course-catholic. My first class was last night (March 8) and it went well. Lots to cover.
- Facebook - If you want to help CARM quickly and easily, please go to the CARM home page and "Like" CARM. It only takes a few seconds and it will really help us out. Thanks.
Love and Hate Mail
- "Thank you much for this website and your podcasts. It is absolutely wonderful seeing someone like you using logic and reason to validate Christian standpoints in reality. I enjoy you very much..thank you soo much!! In Christ."
- "I am not an avid reader so I lean towards audible learning so I started watching more Christian television. During my drive home from work I always listed to talk radio but the topics were always depressing and did not fill the need for The Word. One day I was driving home from work and being fed up with the talk show I started searching for more uplifting talk. I started scanning the radio stations and I came across 790 KIDO and I heard this jerk talking about Roman Catholics this, JW that, LDS the other thing, women pastors… and calling them heretics(but in a nice way). This was about 6 months ago and now 790 is the only station that I listen to when driving. There are great speakers on that help me in my learning and keeping me uplifted in The Spirit. I began to pray more, read the Bible daily and I feel more complete in my life! All this is thanks to that loudmouth who I just had to listen when driving home from work. God is great and He uses people in many ways for many reasons! He used your show “Faith and Reason” and you Matt Slick to keep me riveted enough to help me grow and continue to grow in Him! I still don’t know what He wants from me and I don’t feel deserving at all for the life I have and the gift of salvation, but you played a part in His plan. I thank God for you and I pray for you Matt! I hope you understand that there has to be others like me who can’t connect to an old timer type’s(the fire and brimstone) and when we hear a person like you we can connect(logical and modern thinking). God bless you!! God bless what you do so that others might be brought to Him through you! There truly is great strength in faith in our Lord and Savior Christ Jesus!"
- "I just read your testimony and enjoyed it very much. Thank you for courageously putting it up there. My name is John Barber. I am a student at Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary (actually LUOnline) pursuing my Master of Arts in Religion (Biblical Studies concentration). I have about a year to go. Having studied some apologetics and done some research on Joseph Smith, I especially appreciate your experiences and indeed know the names of Walter Martin and Jerry Bovine. I just wanted to thank you for your work. I tell people about your ministry all the time. I recall sharing it with a close friend of mine about 10 years ago. She had had a bumper sticker on her car that read "God is too big for one religion". I shared your website with her. Woah.....I was a bit surprised when she came back with an email ripping me upside down and every which way....saying that she had never ever been so offended. I replied, trying to explain to her that there are people called apologists who make it their ministry (and their profession in fact) to compare differing faith systems and that I actually completely agree with CARM. I guess JC's "I am the way, the truth, the life....no-one comes to the father except by me" means nothing to her. She had professed to be a Christian, but apparently had been infected by this pluralism and the Universalists/Unitarianism. I had no idea she did not understand the exclusivity of Jesus. She did not ever again respond to me and we lost touch.....the end of a very long close relationship. Well, I hope that she will never forget our little exchange and I hope that she decided someday to research the exclusivity of Jesus. Keep up the great work! I will continue to use your ministry throughout my career."
- "This better be Matt Slick reading this, if not then your organization isn't very organized. I am writing to you concerning the Mormons. Do not stop reading. In the King James Bible it states that the bible cannot be true without another scripture to prove itself. It specifically states that there will be the bible, then the stick (scripture) of Joseph. Now the only other Joseph I can think of is Jesus' earthly father, and I don't think he wrote any scriptures. This scripture of Joseph must be The Book of Mormon, translated (not written) by Joseph Smith (not Joe Smith). I am sure that Jesus Christ would not have posted such offensive things about the Mormons if he were on earth right now, assuming that they are a backwards cult. I only know two things about you (you are Christian, and you are very bitter), but somehow you know EVERYTHING there is to know about Mormons. I would give you credit for knowing so much about Mormons if you have been one, but I am sure you haven't. Now, bearing false witness is not a Christian like thing to do. You can swear up and down that you know "so much" about Mormons, but when it comes down to it, you are bearing false witness. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints respects every other religion or belief out there, unless it denies our Father in Heaven. I read the "before you email" article and that didn't stop me from emailing you. You may think I am wasting my time, but I'm not, I am defending what I believe in. I was born into a religion that has been persecuted since the day it was formed. I will defend it every day of my life, and after I die. Nothing anybody says can stop The truth from being uncovered when famine rises, food and water lowers, and when mountains crumble, assuming you are misinformed (not wrong) of course. I hope and pray to the same god you believe in that you will be less bitter and judgmental, it makes me very sad. I am safe to assume that you will be angry, or even laugh at this peaceful statement, but how dare you look down upon a letter some 16 year old wrote (yes I'm 16). Use this email ONLY AS A WHOLE. Do not use only a part of it. If you have trouble with that then don't use this email on your website at all."
- "I thrashed and easily successfully exposed your false ideology and was banned for it as you can't sustain your claims legitimately you ban those that dare expose your fraudulent trinitarian BS religion. I am still however receiving notifications of the lies and BS still being posted by your incestuous friends. Either reinstate me and continue to learn Truth I bring for a change to your lies or else desist with sending me notifications of Topics I am not currently allowed to continue to legitimately refute. You have always been a disgrace and a fraud Matthew Slick and a yellow bellied gutless coward that runs an incestuous site of lies and BS trinitarian propaganda and only permit duped liars like yourself to participate. I'll take you on any day if ever you think you have grown a back-bone and want to try on an even playing field! Let every one here know that you are ashamed of your failure to be able to legitimately sustain your ideology and refuse to debate with me on a level playing field, but instead your hiding in shame never letting them know of your shameful and disgraceful trinitarian cowardice! Meanwhile you remain an incestuous liar and pretend story book jesus believer easily legitimately refuted by me."