Slick and Quick
- Nickelodeon - I couldn't believe what I was reading at http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=166613. Here's the opening quote of the article: "The children's network Nickelodeon is now offering a selection of naughty games that allow players to look up teachers' skirts and perform a variety of sexual acts – prominently linking to the sexy games from its popular websites for young kids." The article has more to say about the degradation that is now being promoted by Nickelodeon. So, I went to nickelodeon.com and checked it out for myself. Sure enough, a link to addictinggames.com was there. I clicked on it, went to the site, and did some looking around. I did a search for the word "naughty" and found "Naughty Summer Camp: Naughty Counselors!", Naughty Classroom: Are you hot for teacher?", etc. Other titles with "naughty" attached to them included starlets, elevator, airplane, beach, supermarket, babysitter, etc., with more pages listed.
I then searched for the word "sexy" and found "Sexy Penguin Strip Tease." The word 'sex' produced a link to "Sex Tape Transcripts Episode 1", but the item had been removed - thankfully. A search for the term 'suicide' produced two games: "Karoshi Suicide 2" and "Karoshi Suicide Salaryman." Words I searched that did not produce any results included "homosexual", "porn", "pervert", "breast", and "lust". Searching for "kill" produced "Kill a Kitty 2", "Kill Kar", "Graveyard of "Drunken Souls: Kill anything moving", and many more.
Nickelodeon, is supposed to be a children's oriented network. Not any more. Nickelodeon.com is now off limits at our house and I'll be watching to make sure anything on T.V. from there is scrutinized. Seriously parents, sit down with your kids and watch some shows with them. Don't just assume that their shows are fine. This is important!
Years ago my wife and I stopped letting our children watch Sesame Street when we discovered it promoted children throwing temper tantrums. We couldn't believe it! We did not want our kids learning that it was okay to be angry and throw things.
So, what should we expect from a fallen world? Exactly what we are seeing. And, it is going to get worse.
- $5 Support Drive - In our attempt to expand CARM (and pay expenses) we are asking for a $5 a month donation from you to help keep us going. It is easy to do. You just go to https://school.carm.org/amember/signup.php, go down to green $5 Monthly Recurring Donation button, click it, fill out the form on the page and you're done. It is a secure server so it is safe. Also, it is easy to cancel any time. You just log into your account and cancel it - we can cancel it if you want, too. So, would you please consider supporting us by taking about 3 minutes of your time? It really is a huge help.
Also, you might want to check out "Why Support CARM?"
- Manti - Once a year in Manti, Utah there is the "Mormon Miracle Pageant." Tens of thousands of Mormons gather for this annual event that promotes Mormonism. It is the perfect opportunity for witnessing to those lost in the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints. Hundreds of Christians also attend and start conversations with Mormons. I've been several times and next week, I plan to drive to Utah, stay with Bill McKeever of mrm.org, head down with him and others to Manti, and witness to Mormons. I'll also be taking my video camera and doing a lot of filming and hopefully, we'll put some stuff up on the CARM website. It is always a fascinating and energizing event. Christians from all over interconnect, pray, sing praise songs, and reach out to Mormons. Happily, many LDS hear the truth and leave Mormonism for the true God and true Christ. Please pray for me and others (including Ryan Turner) who seek to reach the lost in Manti, Utah.
- Thanks for support - For those of you who have been supporting CARM, thank you. We sincerely appreciate every dollar that comes in. Again, thank you.
- Computer - About every two to three years I build a new computer to keep up with the very heavy demands I put on them for CARM. Typically, I'll have a lot of programs open at once. I just checked right now and have 15 programs running including two browsers, a speech recognition program, bible program, Excel, an FTP program, Web editor, Outlook, etc. Since I spend about 8 to 10 hours a day, six days a week, working CARM, researching, writing, doing a ton of administrative work, having a fast computer is extremely helpful. I always keep up with the latest programs but this means that as they become more powerful, the system slows down. Lately, I find myself waiting for programs to do what they need -- it's become a nuisance. So, I'm asking if anyone out there would like to help contribute to some new computer parts. Its tax-deductible. If so, please go to the amazon.com wishlist for carm: http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/2RL4ROV6EXVMO/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go.
I've researched some parts and came up with the following.
- $250 for Motherboard: gigabyte p55-ud6
- $289 for Processor: Intel Core i7 Processor i7-930 2.80GHz 8 MB LGA1366 CPU, Retail BX80601930
- $110 for Ram - Corsair XMS3 4 GB PC3-12800 1600Mhz Dual Channel Core i3 i5 i7 DDR3 Memory Kit CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
- Another option is to go to the support page of CARM, make a donation, then email us and let us know that it is for the computer and we'll use the funds for that purpose.
- ABNSAT.COM - In May, I went to Detroit, Michigan, and was on abnsat.com, a satellite TV based ministry that reaches out to Muslims and people of Middle Eastern descent who live here in the United States and in Canada. The viewership is probably in the hundreds of thousands. I'll be on again June 21, 2010 via Skype. For more info go to http://www.carm.org/images/abnsat.gif. You can watch it live via www.abnsat.com/abnlive.htm.
- Podcast - of Faith and Reason Radio. If you have Itunes, search for Matt Slick, or CARM, or Faith and Reason Radio and you can subscribe to the Radio show podcasts for free. You can also go to the Podcast link.
- Writers and Researchers - CARM needs your help! We have hundreds of questions about cult groups and various issues but neither Ryan nor myself has the time to do all the research and writing. Therefore, CARM is looking for Writers and Researchers. This would be voluntary, unpaid.
- Writers - Writers would need to have a bachelors or higher in a theological degree. You'd be interviewed and if you pass, you'd obtain a bio page on CARM, be instructed on how to write the "CARM way", shown how to put articles on the site as you being the author. Think you've got what it takes? If so, here's a small test. 1. How many natures does Jesus have? 2. Is Jesus a man right now? 3. What is imputation? 4. What is the difference between justification and sanctification? 5. Can you describe what the substitutionary atonement accomplished? If you don't know these things, you're probably not up to the level you need to be at for CARM. But, if you know these answers, then please pray about working with CARM and afterwards, if you still desire to do this, contact us [email protected]. One more thing, you would need to agree to the CARM statement of Faith.
- Researchers - We also are looking for individuals who would be interested in doing research projects for CARM. This would be a volunteer position. Your responsibilities would be to research and document information on various topics. You do not need to have a theological degree, but that would help. Your research would have to be well documented and, of course, we would verify your efforts until we are satisfied that we can trust your research and then we would simply adopt it as we write articles. You would work with myself, Ryan, and any potential writers for the CARM ministry. If you are interested, please pray about working with CARM, and, if you still desire to do this, then contact us at [email protected].
- Editors for Schools - We need this ASAP. We have three online schools that are also in spiral-bound form. However, there are occasional typos in them. We are looking for some volunteers who can go through the schools (one or all) and edit them. This would entail receiving a Word document that you would keep on your computer (and promise not to distribute), that you would read, and to which you would make corrections. You would then send the document back to us. But be warned, the schools aren't exactly small. There is about 90 lessons in the first two schools and about 40 in the last. We need this quickly as another, big project is waiting on this. If interested, please contact us at [email protected].
- Salespeople - We are planning to hire salespeople, commission only, to go to churches and present the CARM online schools -- in book form. If you are seriously interested, please contact Ken at [email protected] or call him at 208.398.0123. Again, only serious inquiries, please.
- Computers - Thanks for the spare computer! I fixed it up and delivered it to Jay at a local Gym. He's a Christian who helps people out a lot and does ministry work. He also holds world records in strong man competitions. Anyway, he needed a decent computer system for security purposes at the gym. Last newsletter, I asked for a spare system and someone sent me one. I cleaned it up and delivered it to Jay. So, thanks! And boy, was he blessed.
I was a computer tech for five years, so fixing and building them is easy and enjoyable. What I do is get them ready and give them to people who need them: single moms, kids, etc. I don't charge, of course. If you have a spare computer (or spare computer parts) and you would like to donate to CARM, please let us know ([email protected]) and/or send it to CARM, PO BOX 995, Meridian, ID 83680. We can give you a tax receipt if you need it. Thanks.
- Facebook Like Button - If you go to the CARM website, and go to the bottom of the articles, you will notice a Facebook "like" button. If you see some articles that you particularly enjoy, and you have a Facebook account, you can click on the button at the bottom of the article. It will help with increasing CARM's popularity.
- CARM Get Together - We are entertaining the idea of having a CARM get together somewhere in Nebraska or Missouri since that is the center of the U.S. We have a facebook page for comments. http://www.facebook.com/carm.org?v=wall&story_fbid=125224147494028
We are interested in knowing how many would consider attending if we had it say...in St. Louis, Missouri in July or August. I think that's the best place because it is central, has a large airport (which would mean cheaper airfare), etc.
To make it worth people's time and money, if we rented a hotel room, I could speak on a topic or two, we could have another speaker (maybe Bill McKeever of mrm.org). If that sounds like a good idea. A church would be better if someone knew of one in the area.
Same as Last Newsletter
- Things we need for CARM
- Drupal Expertise and/or Ecommerce System Integration - We need an expert who can take a look at the CARM website structure, the payment integration system (PayPal, authorize net), and make recommendations for improvements and/or provide a way to implement them. We want a user to be able to log into the site, make contributions (with or without logging into site), be able to sign up for schools from in and outside the login, be able to order from the store (with or without logging into site), be able to see their past orders, running donation amounts, etc. In addition, we would like to possibly integrate at a latter date the ability for such a person who has logged to be able to have favorites of CARM articles, a place to place notes, etc. There are a lot of drupal add-ons that available for implementation. This would be, of course, a paid gig. We could talk about what someone would charge for such an examination and recommendation. If you are interested please contact me at [email protected]. I'm collecting information to give to the Board of Directors. This position is depending upon their approval.
- Paypal Pro Integration - Basically, I need help/advice on how to implement Paypal Pro. Please contact me at [email protected].
- Women Pastors - I've written a short article for Christians to email to churches that have and/or affirm women pastors and elders. It is located at http://www.carm.org/email-churches-women-pastors. If you send a church the article, please let me know at [email protected] and include the web address where you sent it to, the city, and state of the church. I'll be putting up a list at http://www.carm.org/email-churches-women-pastors-list.
- Camera for Miapic.com - CARM's Spanish version has been up and running and Carlos who heads it up in Bogota, Columbia has need of a video camera so he can shoot videos in Spanish. We'll need around $1000 for a decent one that shoots to a Hard Drive. We're looking for donations to cover the cost. If you want to help out, please let us know at [email protected].
- New Chat Room - We now have a new chat room located at http://forums.carm.org/vbb/ustream.htm
- New Video Feed for Radio Show - We are now streaming the radio show live on http://forums.carm.org/vbb/ustream.htm from 5-6 PM, MST. Also, there are prerecorded shows you can check out if interested. Click on the link and you can see past shows. In addition, you can simply tune into the CARM home page when the show is on because we link it there during the show. We also have a toll free number to call during the show: 877-207-2276.
- New CARM store - it is released. Check it out at http://store.carm.org.
- Amazon Wish List - http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/2RL4ROV6EXVMO/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go.
- Prayer Support - If you would like to pray specifically for CARM, then please check out http://www.carm.org/christianity/prayer-ministry/carm-prayer-needs.
- Feedback and Suggestions - We have a feedback form for CARM now, so if you want to give us some feedback (we'd love to hear it), please go to http://www.carm.org/submit-feedback. We want to hear your ideas!
- Corrections Feedback - If you have a correction you want to see made on CARM we have a form for that too: http://www.carm.org/submit-correction.
- WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT! If you like what CARM does and want to support it, we have some options.
- Twitter - You can follow the CARM twitter stuff at https://twitter.com/carmorg. We post stuff throughout the day.
From Ryan Turner
- I want to say a special “Thank you!” to all of you out there who volunteered and helped with the editing of the CARM Online School Manuals. A few dozen of you graciously responded and generously volunteered your time to proofread various portions of these manuals. I could not have done this without each one of you! Thanks! We should have the edited version of these manuals available in about a month or so. I am still in the process of proofreading, adding and editing review questions, etc.
- Our Spanish website (www.miapic.com) is continuing to grow. We are now seeing around 850-900 unique visitors per day. This is up from around 500 or so a few months ago. Please continue to pray for this ministry. We still need a video camera, and other video equipment to start producing Spanish videos for distribution on the Internet. We also are in the process of starting an Arabic apologetics website. Please pray for this initiative.
- Also, I will be flying to Salt Lake City this upcoming Wednesday, June 16th, and then will head down to Manti, Utah for two weeks of Mormon evangelism. As I mentioned in the past, every year the Mormon Church puts on a play in Manti, Utah (http://www.mormonmiracle.org/index. html) recounting the history of the Mormon faith. The purpose of this play is to encourage the faith of existing Mormons and evangelize non-Mormons. Several thousand Mormons show up each night to watch this play. In preparation, I have been spending these past few weeks finishing reading the Book of Mormon in order to more effectively reach these Mormon people. This will actually be my third year attending this outreach. Last year was very encouraging as I had the privilege of being able to share the Gospel with numerous Mormons in various conversations. Please pray that the Lord will open these Mormon people’s eyes to the true God, the true Jesus, and the true Gospel.
If you download this toolbar CARM gets about $.40.. You don't have to use it. Just keep it for a week or two, check it out, and then delete it if you want. Get easy access to podcasts, videos, CARM articles, forums, chat (soon), and more at a click of a button. If you download it and use it for a few days, CARM gets a little donation from the toolbar developer. That way you get something and help support CARM -- for free! It isn't intrusive on your system and doesn't cause computer problems. I've been using it with absolutely no problems. It works in FireFox and Internet Explorer.
If that sounds good, then download and install it at http://carm.OurToolbar.com. This is what it looks like (broken into two parts to fit on this page)
Love and Hate Mail
- Brothers in Christ, My name is Divyd Ray I. Gutierrez from Manila, Philippines. I was so amazed and educated by your site and it enlightened me more about being a Christian. Thank you so much. Your site is also helpful in answering questions for our seeker friends and for us practicing basic apologetics. I would like to commend you guys! More power and God Bless.
- This is Dave Campbell. I called from Michigan the other day, actually yesterday. I found this site about you and I know you like to answer the critics. My wife is going to buy me the MOAN tonight when i get home from work so I am very excited about that! I am learning so much from your site! The one thing i noticed with this site is that they call Ray Comfort a retard...so to me that says something...I am pretty sure Ray is right on with you and they are just doing what Jesus said they would do....
- Thanks for the quick reply Matt. I listen to you every day here in Australia on Ustream. I am an 18 year old Christian who is quickly developing an interest in apologetics and I find your show highly informative and entertaining at the same time. Thanks for the insight and the many laughs (and your nightmare-inducing facial expressions!). Please keep on doing what you're doing and do not be discouraged by threats and attacks from opposition. Know that there are many who are on your side, praying for you.
- Matt, I Loved the book (The Garden). It touched my heart. I've always believed there was a battle going on around us. The Lord must love to no end, to send His angles to fight for us and for Him to have died in our place. The price is truly payed.
- I recently found out about CARM and your ministry in apologetics and defending our faith, and I couldn't be happier. There's so many falsehoods and outright lies out there and it's nice to find someone dedicated to protecting God's word and explaining what the true Gospel is. I especially enjoyed your analysis of Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Catholicism. Pastor Slick, you are truly an amazing man with a great heart for God and I hope to hear and read much more from you in the future. If there's ever anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to call me. I'm a new pastor taking on a new congregation here in Redding, CA for Cornerstone Community Church as our senior pastor just announced his resignation and I could use all the prayers I can get. I know that God has given me this calling for a reason and I will try my best to bring honor and glory to our Lord. Thank you again for being a role model to me (and to no doubt countless other Christian leaders in the world).
- You so full of crap I cant believe it. Arnold Murray is blessed by God in his ministry. Why should he answer any questions to you. He is smarter than that, Yiour CARM is empty.
- You are well named my brother, in need of much repentance, and barely know the God you represent. I am so sorry for you, and will do my best to pray for you. Pride in your knowledge, strength in your standings, and the like, have all brought you further from the truth, which for you, will only be seen when and if the Potters' hand allows. Again, very sorry for you brother and the foundations of sand surrounding your temporary place here on earth. Your repentance is through the blood and hopefully a contrite heart on your part.
- Although your overall message is correct I disagree with many of the things you explained in your writings. I feel that you're spending far too much time telling everybody else what is wrong with them. Are you completely flawless? Are you sin free? Nobody is completely free of sin. Is it right for us as Christians to say "You're a disgrace for being a homosexual?" Is it right to say "You adulterer! You shall burn in hell?" If you're thinking yes then you're wrong. We're not here to judge. Only God can judge us. And are you forgetting that God gave his only son to pay for ALL OF OUR SINS? ALL of them! The only truly important thing in Christianity is having a relationship full of uncondtional love with Jesus Christ our Savior. That's all! So here's your reality check sir. The only secular thing about your whole article was YOU. Maybe you need to bury your nose back in that Bible of yours. Thanks for your time and God Bless.
- JUST WHERE IN THE WORLD DID YOU GET ALL OF THIS FALSE INFORMATION? YOU HAVENT DONE MUCH RESEARCH OR YOU WOULD KNOW THAT EVERYTHING THAT YOU PRINTED ON THAT WEBSIRE IS A TOTAL LIE EVERY SINGLE WORD OF IT
- wow... sorry, but you really don't know what you're talking about.
- YOU MESSED UP LIAR YOU DON/T LISTEN VERY WELL DO YOU
- Your research on mormonism is flawed, On example is the section that Asks are mormons Christian, I know u believe they aren't, if your research was correct then that would be true, we do not believe in 3 gods Heavenly Father is God, Jesus is our savior, I was born and raised in the Baptist church 45 years and have only converted to The church of jesus christ of latter day saints in the last year but I also studied it for over a year before I decided to convert. To be fair I ask that you please do more research and talk to mainstream Members not fundamentalist. Thank You
15% off Bible Software
If you're serious about studying the Bible and what what is, in our opinion, the best Bible program available at 15% off, then get Logos Bible Software by clicking this link, http://www.logos.com/carm. You win because Logos will give you 15% off if you go through CARM. CARM wins, because Logos will donate a portion of every sale back to us. Logos wins, by spreading the Word, making more sales, and getting more people into better Bible study. By the way, we've used various free software programs. They work, but none of them approach the quality and depth offered by logos."
Support CARM. << Hey!, that is a clickable link!
We are asking that people help out with just $5 a month. That isn't much, but it is a great help to us. Think about this: CARM gets around 32,000 page views around 10,000 visitors every day. That is huge! Your $5 monthly support helps CARM to reach out that thousands of people a day! Is that worth such a small amount?
- Produce the Family Teaching Course designed to be used at the dinner table. It goes through the Bible and teaches doctrine, apologetics, Bible characters, Bible events, etc. Its designed to stop the huge amount of Christians from leaving their faith. Statistically, 80% of Christians raised in a Christian home and go to a Christian church lose their faith within two years of attending a secular college. We want to stop that by grounding them in the faith by going through this at home. Where else are they going to learn what they need to know?
- Convert the School of Theology into a video course for distribution at churches and homes.
- Teaching videos on multiple topics on evangelism, cults, the Bible, evolution, etc.
- Produce more online schools.
- Be able to write more on the various groups attacking the Christian faith.
- Produce inserts for Church bulletins.
- Produce evangelism tracts in English and other languages.
- Produce CARM in other languages with people in other countries heading up CARM in those countries.
Advertise with CARM
- This Newsletter goes out to more than 29,000 people. Want to advertise on it? If so, contact us at [email protected]. Its $100 per Newsletter send. All ads must be approved by CARM.
- Also, we have locations available on the CARM site for advertising.