From Matt Slick, President
- Trying to make the Newsletter better - This is an attempt to cut the preparation time of the newsletter down a bit. I'm so busy that I can't get it all done. In fact, this newsletter has been delayed by two weeks. So, please let me know if you like receiving an email which points to CARM's latest newletter by going to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks.
- The Influence - Reminder, my book The Influence is now out in hard back via Amazon.com. My publisher says it is doing well. So far it's been selling in eBook form and has lots of favorable reviews. If you want to check it out in hard copy, click here. -- Also, if you order a hard back, could you kindly go to Amazon and post a comment? If you'd like an autographed copy of The Influence, go here.
- 180 Movie: Please check out the new 33 minute movie by Living Waters. They present an excellent way of dealing with the abortion problem. The video is embedded on CARM.
- CARM Redesign is coming - We are in the early stages of redesigning the CARM website. It'll retain the same navigation system, but will have more bells and whistles. If you have any suggestions on what you'd like to see, please send them to email@example.com. Seriously. We really want to know what you think of CARM, its site, navigation, deficiencies, etc. We want to make it better and now is the time to offer your two cents. Thanks.
- MIAPIC.com - Since its release on Nov. 22, 2009, miapic.com has had a total of 1.8 million page views with 1.2 million visitors. Praise God. Carlos, who runs the site is doing a great job and we are supporting him. Right now, Carlos and a helper are beginning a prison ministry in Bogotá, Columbia. They need $120 to cover initial costs. If you'd like to support their effort please send a donation to CARM, PO BOX 1353, Nampa ID 83651 and designate it for the Columbia Prison Ministry. Thanks and God bless.
- NNU, Paul Young, The Shack - Northwest Nazarene University hosted Paul Young, the author of The Shack, on September 22 in Nampa Idaho. Several people joined me in passing out literature as well as holding up signs in front of the Campus. You may or may not be aware of the anti-biblical teachings that are throughout the book. (If you're interested in finding out more, go here). Also, here's a video of the event including a dialogue between the author of The Shack, Paul Young, and myself.
- Released the Dictionary of Science - I finally released the dictionary of science. I had to add hundreds of words to it and am continuing to fill it in. www.carm.org/dictionary-science-intro. It is in preparation for more articles to come on evolution and intelligent design.
- Working on the Dictionary of Philosophy - I've been slowly adding to the philosophy dictionary and hope to release it next month some time.
- Join us in prayer, CARM expansion - CARM seriously needs prayer. As best as I can tell, the needs of CARM are so great that we have got to move into an office and get a staff. However, to do this, we need to have funding. We must pray and seek God's will in this and the related issues. The battle for this country's (and others') faith, culture, society and morality is worth fighting for and we are in serious need of Biblical truth! CARM hopes to produce videos, teaching manuals, etc., for churches and families to help equip them to stand firm in the faith and refute error. Also, we don't want to be passive in our Christianity. We want to be aggressive in a positive way doing what the Scripture says in 2 Cor. 10:5, "We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ." So, please pray that God would prepare a staff, provide a location, and enable its funding. There is so much to do... Please join us in prayer.
- Video Camera - We are beginning research into getting a much better video camera. The one we have is great and produces excellent videos for the Internet. But now, we have need of one that will be good enough to produce DVD/Blu-Ray level videos that can be watched on HD TV's because we are going to start working on hour-long teaching videos. It appears the price range for the Cameras is between 2000 and 3000 dollars. If you know about cameras and want to recommend something, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks.
- Help CARM with a simple click - Social networking is becoming a very important part of the Internet. With ministries like CARM, in order to stay relevant and show up on the first page of Google search, it is necessary for us to use Facebook, Twitter, and Google +1. You can help us a great deal by going to CARM and clicking on any article that you like and "liking" it with the Facebook button and if you are registered with Google, you can click on the Google plus. You can also tweet the web addresses on twitter. When you do this it will significantly help CARM in search engine placement. This is important because, for example, the Mormon church is making a very strong effort at trying to get top rankings in all of the searches for things like Christianity, Jesus, gospel, Mormonism, etc. So, if you want to help the kingdom of God, help CARM, and help promote the gospel, please consider going to CARM and clicking on articles, going to the bottom of the article and clicking on the social network options. It would be a big help.
Love and Hate Mail
- "Message body Hi Matt and thanks for responding. Your website is really great!! I just finished reading an article you wrote about Troy Brooks! I think its sad that Troy has nothing else to do then try to argue with his fellow Christian brother. I think Troy may have some psychotic issues. You probably should not talk to him at all since you know he is only trying to make himself out to look like a theologian. Anyone who goes on a website under 50 or more different usernames must obviously have some kind of mental sickness or something like that. And the fact that Troy keeps breaking some of the rules on CARM shows us what type of a person he is. Keep doing the great work you are for God and do not let people like Troy bother you! God bless you Matt! In God's love!"
- "I just discovered your website and I think it is a HUGE blessing! Great information and discussions. Apologetics is not often taught in churches. As a Sunday school teacher, I want to teach people (and learn) how to defend my faith. God’s blessings, Mike"
- "I just found your site tonight when I was looking for something about Christianity and homosexuality. I found the article very interesting and it expresses my feelings pretty much exactly. I have been having a hard time seeing some Christians being so supportive of this lifestyle. I have some friends (not close ones though) and a cousin that are homosexual and I do love them but that doesn't mean that I have to approve of or condone their lifestyle. Anyway, I really enjoyed the article and went on to read Mr. Slick's testimony which I found to be very good and I'm not sure why others wouldn't want to hear it. I have bookmarked the page and plan to read some more of the articles later. I am really glad to hear someone affirm that we should love the homosexual and treat homosexuality as any other sin but also state that it is sin and shouldn't be accepted as an alternate lifestyle by Christians. Thank you."
- "First of all, I am a Latter Day Saint. I have browsed you sight and find you severely lacking in the knowledge about us and our beliefs. I know there are a few things that can't be explained, however, there are many things that you need to understand. First, we do believe in the same Jesus that is in the Bible. I find it hard to believe that we are worshiping a 'false Jesus'. Second, we do believe that there were multiple gods that created the earth, but not some random Deity. We believe in the same Gods you do: Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. We believe that Jesus created the earth with guidance from Heavenly Father, therefore more than one God. We do NOT believe in multiple random Gods like the ancient Egyptians or something like that. Finally, I would appreciate it if you would stop dragging down other religions in an attempt to declare yourselves as the 'one true church'. I don't mind you comparing and contrasting the two, however, when you say our church is 'of the devil', that is little more than slander, not spreading your gospel. You have the same mentality as the extremist Muslims as in: "Our religion is right, everyone else is wrong and is going to hell because they're different." I am very tolerant with religion, and I have many Friends with differing faiths, it's people like you who simply bash other religions with a limited knowledge that irk me. Don't tell me that you want to 'spread the Truth' or all that bull, because we spread our gospel as well and we do not need to criticize other religions to do it. I am not an official spokesperson for our church, though I can point out many flaws in your perception of Latter Day Saints. Despite what you say, your material IS offensive and tears at other churches. Thank you for your time, and if you have any responses or questions about this, please write me back."
- "I would like to address that, as an Atheist, you do not understand what it really means to be Atheist. There are Christian Atheists out there, believe it or not. And from observation of history, Atheists have been more moral than most Deist faiths, because they don't have a higher power to "do this in the name of..." And because your entire faith is based on fear (fear of retribution for your actions), you're less likely to reject a simple delusion on the basis that it may just be God speaking to you. It's like a kid who's abused by his parents, but because they nurture him occasionally, he still loves them. So at the end of the day, would you rather follow a faith that would enable such dangerous potential and then justify it on the basis of divinity, maintaining the threat-level because you're liable to listen to it again; or would you like to take responsibility for your own actions, recognize that you don't need an invisible force to determine what you should and should not do, and save the world from further oppression and acts of bigotry obscured by "love"?