Law and Gospel
The Law is the do’s and don’t’s of moral behavior. God gave the Law so that people would have a guide to live by and a standard by which they might recognize God’s purity and their sinfulness. There are 613 commandments in the Old Testament. They oversee moral, judicial, and religious behavior.
The Law is a reflection of the character of God, because the Law comes forth from the very heart of God. The Bible says out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks (Matt. 12:34). When God gave the Law, He was speaking out of the abundance of His heart. He was speaking from what is in Him. Therefore, the Law is good, pure, right, and holy. It is wrong to lie, because it is against God’s nature to lie. It is wrong to steal because it is against God’s nature to steal.
This Law, then, by its very nature of coming out of the heart of God, and being spoken to men, is a standard for human conduct, a perfect standard. Because it was perfect, and we are not, it is impossible for sinful people to keep. It was for this reason that the Law became a stumbling block. It became an obstacle to Man because it is an unattainable perfect standard. The Law, then, brings about the opposite of what it requires. The Law says to be perfect, but shows you where you are not. It says to be holy, but condemns you when you are not. Since it is not possible for us to keep the Law perfectly and therefore earn our position with God, we then need the holiness of God given to us -- because there simply isn’t any way for us to attain the standard of God. Therefore, "...the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith," (Gal. 3:24). That is, the Law shows us that we can’t get to God by what we do. We need the grace of God in Christ Jesus manifested in His sacrifice.
I have spent this past week writing some more articles for the website: “Was the resurrection story of Jesus borrowed from pagan mythology?” and “Reasons why the Apocrypha does not belong in the Bible.” Please check out the “What’s New” section on the CARM homepage to see these latest articles.
Also, we are not far away from launching CARM’s Spanish Ministry website. Please pray that the Lord will raise up supporters and prayer warriors for this vital ministry. Carlos Garbiras, the gentlemen who now works full time in this area, has been faithfully translating for CARM since July.
Please pray for guidance for me as I seek the Lord’s direction for my life. While I am still young, I am seriously considering working on a Ph.D. or a doctorate in ministry (D. Min.). My area of interest is in New Testament. I realize that a Ph.D. would be quite a commitment (a minimum of 4 years of intense study and a dissertation) and I do not want to take on that task unless the Lord is leading me in that direction. However, there is a great need for Christians to be highly trained to reach the highest level of academia and everyone in between. Please pray that I hear the Lord’s voice on this one.
Love and Hate Mail
- I just want to say I think Ryan is doing a great Job I just read his article on "Was the resurrection story of Jesus borrowed from pagan mythology?" and thought it was great. I just wanted to thank both Matt and Ryan for an awesome job in defending the faith. May God Bless You, Brian
- Hi CARM, I was listening to the podcast of the CARM radio show, the one about the difference between 'is' and 'ought' and Matt asked if those listening via podcast would email him to let them know that they were listening and from where. So here it is: I live in the UK, Kings Lynn in Norfolk to be precise, and listen to the podcasts when I can. Podcasts are much better for me as the time difference between the UK and USA makes it difficult to listen live. I think Rev. Matt Slick has more of an impact than he might realize, far beyond the USA. The website alone is about the best resource for Biblical Christians on the internet. Blessings, Steve Wilson
- Oh, thank YOU for keeping up the "good fight"! When I saw in my CARM newsletter that you guys needed help, I felt VERY led to tithe to CARM. I want to keep Matt & the team out there debating, speaking, encouraging & sowing the seeds for the Kingdom of God! God bless each & every one of you for your efforts. I will be praying for a hedge of protection around you all against the efforts of the enemy :). In Christ, Kat
- You know something....I use to be a what you call a Christian. Now looking back I can see how much I was living in the dark. Reading the type of bull twang you unlearned hipacrits go on with makes me feel sorry for ya all. There's nothing I needed more then to read these lies from someone that 'THINKS' there faith is the true faith....You HIPACRITS. You remind me of the Pharisses that tryed to tempt Christ....You HIPACRITS. By the way, for your information NOTHING is going to stop the LORDS WORK from going forth. Comprenday Mue cha cha. Yours with simpathy, Bond [a Mormon]
- A Christian should not date or marry an unbeliever? When did bigotry become a good moral value? Paul
- That guy Matt Slick is clearly an idiot. He might want to do a little reading and research before going to bash someone's religion. Geeeeee DJ
- I just would like to ask some questions; If you are the truth why do you charge for something that is not yours!! shouldn't your school be for free and allow people to make thier own mind up to make a donation or not? Why do you not preach the good news of God's Kingdom? (Matthews 24;14, Matthews 28;19-20.) Robbie
- I have read your information about the New Age movement and Universalism and have discovered that all of your content is absolutely negative. What happened to old-fashioned positive thinking? You sounded like the Devil himself. I know, because I am a Wiccan and I could use a little research on Wicca. Of course, it is not what it seems.
- Matt you need to stop acting like you’re the leader of the Christian Church, I ask you once again in the NAME OF JESUS to cease your mockery of deception. I invite you to come home to the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church.
- I didn't insult any group of people like yourself. Unlike you...I don't insult a persons beliefs. You have the right to express what you believe but to tell someone there wrong even if you're right...tells me you have nothing and no truth. Maybe if you study more of Gods word and ask for understanding...He'll give it to you. Oh .. that's right...God has to want you to know. I guess he'll have to read your heart. Maybe you deserve to be blind. You have to want it from the heart. By bashing others and other groups of religions is clearly a wrong path by anyone's eyes. The good one will be when the end comes..and you are destroyed, Who needs your kind of hatefulness. if you don't want that to happen. you need to make adjustments and soon. I think I'll check out those witnesses...they might have something. No reply need.