Introduction, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114
|Translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali||Translated by Hilali Khan|
|Surah 15 - Rock City
With the Name of Allah, the Merciful Benefactor, The Merciful Redeemer
1. A. L. R. These are the Ayats of Revelation - of a Qur’an that makes things clear.
2. Again and again will those who disbelieve, wish that they had bowed (to Allah’s will) in Islam.
3. Leave them alone, to enjoy (the good things of this life) and to please themselves: let (false) hope amuse them: soon will knowledge (undeceive them).
4. Never did We destroy a population that had not a term decreed and assigned beforehand.
5. Neither can a people anticipate its term, nor delay it.
6. They say: “O thou to whom the Message is being revealed! Truly thou art mad (or possessed)!
7. “Why bringest thou not angels to us if it be that thou hast the Truth?”
8. We send not the angels down except for just cause: if they came (to the ungodly), behold! No respite would they have!
9. We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption).
10. We did send apostles before thee amongst the religious sects of old:
11. But never came an apostle to them but they mocked him.
12. Even so do we let it creep into the hearts of the sinners -
13. That they should not believe in the (Message); but the ways of the ancients have passed away.
14. Even if We opened out to them a gate from heaven, and they were to continue (all day) ascending therein,
15. They would only say: “Our eyes have been intoxicated: Nay, we have been bewitched by sorcery.”
16. It is We Who have set out the zodiacal signs in the heavens, and made them fair-seeming to (all) beholders;
17. And (moreover) We have guarded them from every evil spirit accursed:
18. But any that gains a hearing by stealth, is pursued by a flaming fire, bright (to see).
19. And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet); set thereon mountains firm and immovable; and produced therein all kinds of things in due balance.
20. And We have provided therein means of subsistence - for you and for those for whose sustenance ye are not responsible.
21. And there is not a thing but its (sources and) treasures (inexhaustible) are with Us; but We only send down thereof in due and ascertainable measures.
22. And We send the fecundating winds, then cause the rain to descend from the sky, therewith providing you with water (in abundance), though ye are not the guardians of its stores.
23. And verily, it is We Who give life, and Who give death: it is We Who remain inheritors (after all else passes away).
24. To Us are known those of you who hasten forward, and those who lag behind.
25. Assuredly it is thy Lord Who will gather them together: for He is perfect in Wisdom and Knowledge.
26. We created man from sounding clay, from mud moulded into shape;
27. And the Jinn race, We had created before, from the fire of a scorching wind.
28. Behold! Thy Lord said to the angels: “I am about to create man, from sounding clay from mud moulded into shape;
29. “When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him.”
30. So the angels prostrated themselves, all of them together:
31. Not so Iblis: he refused to be among those who prostrated themselves.
32. (Allah) said: “O Iblis! What is your reason for not being among those who prostrated themselves?”
33. (Iblis) said: “I am not one to prostrate myself to man, whom Thou didst create from sounding clay, from mud moulded into shape.”
34. (Allah) said: “Then get thee out from here; for thou art rejected, accursed.
35. “And the curse shall be on thee till the day of Judgment.”
36. (Iblis) said: “O my Lord! Give me then respite till the Day the (dead) are raised.”
37. (Allah) said: “Respite is granted thee
38. “Till the Day of the Time appointed.”
39. (Iblis) said: “O my Lord! Because Thou hast put me in the wrong, I will make (wrong) fair-seeming to them on the earth, and I will put them all in the wrong -
40. “Except Thy servants among them, sincere and purified (by Thy Grace).”
41. (Allah) said: “This (way of My sincere servants) is indeed a way that leads straight to Me.
42. “For over My servants no authority shalt thou have, except such as put themselves in the wrong and follow thee.”
43. And verily, Hell is the promised abode for them all!
44. To it are seven gates: for each of those gates is a (special) class (of sinners) assigned.
45. The righteous (will be) amid gardens and fountains (of clear-flowing water).
46. (Their greeting will be): “Enter ye here in peace and security.”
47. And We shall remove from their hearts any lurking sense of injury: (they will be) brothers (joyfully) facing each other on thrones (of dignity).
48. There no sense of fatigue shall touch them, nor shall they (ever) be asked to leave.
49. Tell My servants that I am indeed the Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful;
50. And that My Penalty will be indeed the most grievous Penalty.
51. Tell them about the guests of Abraham.
52. When they entered his presence and said, “Peace!” He said, “We feel afraid of you!”
53. They said: “Fear not! We give thee glad tidings of a son endowed with wisdom.”
54. He said: “Do ye give me glad tidings that old age has seized me? Of what, then, is your good news?”
55. They said: “We give thee glad tidings in truth: be not then in despair!”
56. He said: “And who despairs of the mercy of his Lord, but such as go astray?”
57. Abraham said: “What then is the business on which ye (have come), O ye messengers (of Allah)?”
58. They said: “We have been sent to a people (deep) in sin,
59. “Excepting the adherents of Lut: them we are certainly (charged) to save (from harm) - All -
60. “Except his wife, who, We have ascertained, will be among those who will lag behind.”
61. At length when the messengers arrived among the adherents of Lut,
62. He said: “Ye appear to be uncommon folk.”
63. They said: “Yea, we have come to thee to accomplish that of which they doubt.
64. “We have brought to thee that which is inevitably due, and assuredly we tell the truth.
65. “Then travel by night with thy household, when a portion of the night (yet remains), and do thou bring up the rear: let no one amongst you look back, but pass on whither ye are ordered.”
66. And We made known this decree to him, that the last remnants of those (sinners) should be cut off by the morning.
67. The inhabitants of the city came in (mad) joy (at news of the young men).
68. Lut said: “These are my guests: disgrace me not:
69. “But fear Allah, and shame me not.”
70. They said: “Did we not forbid thee (to speak) for all and sundry?”
71. He said: “There are my daughters (to marry), if ye must act (so).”
72. Verily, by thy life (O Prophet), in their wild intoxication, they wander in distraction, to and fro.
73. But the (mighty) Blast overtook them before morning,
74. And We turned (the cities) upside down, and rained down on them brimstones hard as baked clay.
75. Behold! In this are Signs for those who by tokens do understand.
76. And the (cities were) right on the high-road.
77. Behold! In this is a sign for those who believed.
78. And the Companions of the Wood were also wrong-doers;
79. So We exacted retribution from them. They were both on an open highway, plain to see.
80. The Companions of the Rocky Tract also rejected the apostles:
81. We sent them Our Sings, but they persisted in turning away from them.
82. Out of the mountains did they hew (their) edifices, (feeling themselves) secure.
83. But the (mighty) Blast seized them of a morning,
84. And of no avail to them was all that they did (with such art and care)!
85. We created not the heavens, the earth, and all between them, but for just ends. And the Hour is surely coming (when this will be manifest). So overlook (any human faults) with gracious forgiveness.
86. For verily it is thy Lord who is the Master-Creator, knowing all things.
87. And We have bestowed upon thee the Seven Oft-repeated (verses) and the Grand Qur’an.
88. Strain not thine eyes. (Wistfully) at what We have bestowed on certain classes of them, nor grieve over them: but lower thy wing (in gentleness) to the believers.
89. And say: “I am indeed he that warneth openly and without ambiguity,” -
90. (Of just such wrath) as We sent down on those who divided (Scripture into arbitrary parts) -
91. (So also on such) as have made Qur’an into shreds (as they please).
92. Therefore, by the Lord, We will, of a surety, call them to account,
93. For all their deeds.
94. Therefore expound openly what thou art commanded, and turn away from those who join false gods with Allah.
95. For sufficient are We unto thee against those who scoff -
96. Those who adopt, with Allah, another god: but soon will they come to know.
97. We do indeed know how thy heart is distressed at what they say.
98. But celebrate the praises of thy Lord, and be of those who prostrate themselves in adoration.
99. And serve thy Lord until there come unto thee the Hour that is Certain."
|15. Surah Al-Hijr (The Rocky Tract)
1. Alif-Lam-Ra. [These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'an, and none but Allah (Alone) knows their meanings].
These are the Verses of the Book, and a plain Qur'an.
2. Perhaps (often) will those who disbelieve wish that they were Muslims [those who have submitted themselves to Allah's Will in Islamic Monotheism, this will be on the Day of Resurrection when they will see the disbelievers going to Hell and the Muslims going to Paradise].
3. Leave them to eat and enjoy, and let them be preoccupied with (false) hope. They will come to know!
4. And never did We destroy a township but there was a known decree for it.
5. No nation can anticipate its term, nor delay it.
6. And they say: "O you (Muhammad) to whom the Dhikr (the Qur'an) has been sent down! Verily, you are a mad man.
7. "Why do you not bring angels to us if you are of the truthful ones?"
8. We send not the angels down except with the truth (i.e. for torment, etc.), and in that case, they (the disbelievers) would have no respite!
9. Verily We: It is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e. the Qur'an) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption).
10. Indeed, We sent Messengers before you (O Muhammad) amongst the sects (communities) of old.
11. And never came a Messenger to them but they did mock him.
12. Thus do We let it (polytheism and disbelief) enter into the hearts of the Mujrimun [criminals, polytheists, pagans, etc. (because of their mockery at the Messengers)].
13. They would not believe in it (the Qur'an), and already the example of (Allah's punishment of) the ancients (who disbelieved) has gone forth.
14. And even if We opened to them a gate from the heaven and they were to continue ascending thereto,
15. They would surely say: "Our eyes have been (as if) dazzled. Nay, we are a people bewitched."
16. And indeed, We have put the big stars in the heaven and We beautified it for the beholders.
17. And We have guarded it (near heaven) from every outcast Shaitan (devil).
18. Except him (devil) that gains hearing by stealing, he is pursued by a clear flaming fire.
19. And the earth We spread out, and placed therein firm mountains, and caused to grow therein all kinds of things in due proportion.
20. And We have provided therein means of living, for you and for those whom you provide not [moving (living) creatures, cattle, beasts, and other animals].
21. And there is not a thing, but with Us are the stores thereof. And We send it not down except in a known measure.
22. And We send the winds fertilizing (to fill heavily the clouds with water), then caused the water (rain) to descend from the sky, and We gave it to you to drink, and it is not you who are the owners of its stores [i.e. to give water to whom you like or to withhold it from whom you like].
23. And certainly We! We it is Who give life, and cause death, and We are the Inheritors.
24. And indeed, We know the first generations of you who had passed away, and indeed, We know the present generations of you (mankind), and also those who will come afterwards.
25. And verily, your Lord will gather them together. Truly, He is All-Wise, All-Knowing.
26. And indeed, We created man from sounding clay of altered black smooth mud.
27. And the jinn, We created aforetime from the smokeless flame of fire.
28. And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: "I am going to create a man (Adam) from sounding clay of altered black smooth mud.
29. "So, when I have fashioned him completely and breathed into him (Adam) the soul which I created for him, then fall (you) down prostrating yourselves unto him."
30. So, the angels prostrated themselves, all of them together.
31. Except Iblis (Satan), - he refused to be among the prostrators.
32. (Allah) said: "O Iblis (Satan)! What is your reason for not being among the prostrators?"
33. [Iblis (Satan)] said: "I am not the one to prostrate myself to a human being, whom You created from sounding clay of altered black smooth mud."
34. (Allah) said: "Then, get out from here, for verily, you are Rajim (an outcast or a cursed one)."
35. "And verily, the curse shall be upon you till the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)."
36. [Iblis (Satan)] said: "O my Lord! Give me then respite till the Day they (the dead) will be resurrected."
37. Allah said: "Then, verily, you are of those reprieved,
38. "Till the Day of the time appointed."
39. [Iblis (Satan)] said: "O my Lord! Because you misled me, I shall indeed adorn the path of error for them (mankind) on the earth, and I shall mislead them all.
40. "Except Your chosen, (guided) slaves among them."
41. (Allah) said: "This is the Way which will lead straight to Me."
42. "Certainly, you shall have no authority over My slaves, except those who follow you of the Ghawin (Mushrikun and those who go astray, criminals, polytheists, and evil-doers, etc.).
43. "And surely, Hell is the promised place for them all.
44. "It (Hell) has seven gates, for each of those gates is a (special) class (of sinners) assigned.
45. "Truly! The Muttaqun (pious and righteous persons) will be amidst Gardens and water-springs (Paradise).
46. "(It will be said to them): 'Enter therein (Paradise), in peace and security.'
47. "And We shall remove from their breasts any sense of injury (that they may have), (So they will be like) brothers facing each other on thrones.
48. "No sense of fatigue shall touch them, nor shall they (ever) be asked to leave it."
49. Declare (O Muhammad) unto My slaves, that truly, I am the Oft-Forgiving, the Most-Merciful.
50. And that My Torment is indeed the most painful torment.
51. And tell them about the guests (the angels) of Ibrahim (Abraham).
52. When they entered unto him, and said: Salaman (peace)! [Ibrahim (Abraham)] said: "Indeed! We are afraid of you."
53. They (the angels) said: "Do not be afraid! We give you glad tidings of a boy (son) possessing much knowledge and wisdom."
54. [Ibrahim (Abraham)] said: "Do you give me glad tidings (of a son) when old age has overtaken me? Of what then is your news?"
55. They (the angels) said: "We give you glad tidings in truth. So be not of the despairing ones."
56. [Ibrahim (Abraham)] said: "And who despairs of the Mercy of his Lord except those who are astray?"
57. [Ibrahim (Abraham) again] said: "What then is the business on which you have come, O Messengers?"
58. They (the angels) said: "We have been sent to a people who are Mujrimun (criminals, disbelievers, polytheists, sinners).
59. "(All) except the family of Lout (Lot). Them all we are surely going to save (from destruction).
60. "Except his wife, of whom We have decreed that she shall be of those who remain behind (i.e. she will be destroyed)."
61. Then, when the Messengers (the angels) came unto the family of Lout (Lot).
62. He said: "Verily! You are people unknown to me."
63. They said: "Nay, we have come to you with that (torment) which they have been doubting.
64. "And we have brought to you the truth (the news of the destruction of your nation) and certainly, we tell the truth.
65. "Then travel in a part of the night with your family, and you go behind them in the rear, and let no one amongst you look back, but go on to where you are ordered."
66. And We made known this decree to him, that the root of those (sinners) was to be cut off in the early morning.
67. And the inhabitants of the city came rejoicing (at the news of the young men's arrival).
68. [Lout (Lot)] said: "Verily! these are my guests, so shame me not.
69. "And fear Allah and disgrace me not."
70. They (people of the city) said: "Did we not forbid you to entertain (or protect) any of the 'Alamin (people, foreigners, strangers, etc. from us)?"
71. [Lout (Lot)] said: "These (the girls of the nation) are my daughters (to marry lawfully), if you must act (so)."
72. Verily, by your life (O Muhammad), in their wild intoxication, they were wandering blindly.
73. So As-Saihah (torment - awful cry, etc.) overtook them at the time of sunrise;
74. And We turned (the towns of Sodom in Palestine) upside down and rained down on them stones of baked clay.
75. Surely! In this are signs, for those who see (or understand or learn the lessons from the Signs of Allah).
76. And verily! They (the cities) were right on the highroad (from Makkah to Syria i.e. the place where the Dead Sea is now).
77. Surely! Therein is indeed a sign for the believers.
78. And the dwellers in the wood [i.e. the people of Madyan (Midian) to whom Prophet Shu'aib was sent by Allah), were also Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.).
79. So, We took vengeance on them. They are both on an open highway, plain to see.
80. And verily, the dwellers of Al-Hijr (the rocky tract) denied the Messengers.
81. And We gave them Our Signs, but they were averse to them.
82. And they used to hew out dwellings from the mountains (feeling themselves) secure.
83. But As-Saihah (torment - awful cry etc.) overtook them in the early morning (of the fourth day of their promised punishment days).
84. And all that which they used to earn availed them not.
85. And We created not the heavens and the earth and all that is between them except with truth, and the Hour is surely coming, so overlook (O Muhammad), their faults with gracious forgiveness. [This was before the ordainment of Jihad holy fighting in Allah's Cause].
86. Verily, your Lord is the All-Knowing Creator.
87. And indeed, We have bestowed upon you seven of Al-Mathani (the seven repeatedly recited Verses), (i.e. Surat Al-Fatiha) and the Grand Qur'an.
88. Look not with your eyes ambitiously at what We have bestowed on certain classes of them (the disbelievers), nor grieve over them. And lower your wings for the believers (be courteous to the fellow-believers).
89. And say: "I am indeed a plain warner."
90. As We have sent down on the dividers, (Quraish pagans or Jews and Christians).
91. Who have made the Qur'an into parts. (i.e. believed in a part and disbelieved in the other).
92. So, by your Lord (O Muhammad), We shall certainly call all of them to account.
93. For all that they used to do.
94. Therefore proclaim openly (Allah's Message Islamic Monotheism) that which you are commanded, and turn away from Al-Mushrikun (polytheists, idolaters, and disbelievers, etc.).
95. Truly! We will suffice you against the scoffers.
96. Who set up along with Allah another ilah (god), they will come to know.
97. Indeed, We know that your breast is straitened at what they say.
98. So glorify the praises of your Lord and be of those who prostrate themselves (to Him).
99. And worship your Lord until there comes unto you the certainty (i.e. death).