Introduction, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114
|Translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali||Translated by Hilali Khan|
|Surah 36 - Ya-Seen
With the Name of Allah, the Merciful Benefactor, The Merciful Redeemer
1. Ya Sin.
2. By the Qur’an, full of Wisdom -
3. Thou art indeed one of the apostles,
4. On a Straight Way.
5. It is a Revelation sent down by (Him), the Exalted in Might, Most Merciful.
6. In order that thou mayest admonish a people, whose fathers had received no admonition, and who therefore remain heedless (of the Signs of Allah).
7. The Word is proved true against the greater part of them: for they do not believe.
8. We have put yokes round their necks right up to their chins, so that their heads are forced up (and they cannot see).
9. And We have put a bar in front of them and a bar behind them, and further, We have covered them up; so that they cannot see.
10. The same is it to them whether thou admonish them or thou do not admonish them: they will not believe.
11. Thou canst but admonish such a one as follows the Message and fears the (Lord) Most Gracious, unseen: give such a one, therefore, good tidings, of Forgiveness and a Reward most generous.
12. Verily We shall give life to the dead, and We record that which they send before and that which they leave behind, and of all things have We taken account in a clear Book (of evidence).
13. Set forth to them, by way of a parable, the (story of) the Companions of the City. Behold! There came apostles to it.
14. When We (first) sent to them two apostles, they rejected them: But We strengthened them with a third: they said, “Truly, we have been sent on a mission to you.”
15. The (people) said: “Ye are only men like ourselves; and (Allah) Most Gracious sends no sort of revelation: ye do nothing but lie.”
16. They said: “Our Lord doth know that we have been sent on a mission to you:
17. “And our duty is only to proclaim the clear Message.”
18. The (people) said: “for us, we augur an evil omen from you: if ye desist not, we will certainly stone you. And a grievous punishment indeed will be inflicted on you by us.”
19. They said: “Your evil omens are with yourselves: (deem ye this an evil omen). If ye are admonished? Nay, but ye are a people transgressing all bounds!”
20. Then there came running, from the farthest part of the City, a man, saying, “O my people! Obey the apostles:
21. “Obey those who ask no reward of you (for themselves), and who have themselves received Guidance.
22. “It would not be reasonable in me if I did not serve Him Who created me, and to Whom ye shall (all) be brought back.
23. “Shall I take (other) gods besides Him? If (Allah) Most Gracious should intend some adversity for me, of no use whatever will be their intercession for me, nor can they deliver me.
24. “I would indeed, if I were to do so, be in manifest Error.
25. “For me, I have faith in the Lord of you (all): listen, then, to me!”
26. It was said: “Enter thou the Garden.” He said: “Ah me! Would that my People knew (what I know)! -
27. “For that my Lord has granted me Forgiveness and has enrolled me among those held in honour!”
28. And We sent not down against his People, after him, any hosts from heaven, nor was it needful for Us so to do.
29. It was no more than a single mighty Blast, and behold! They were (like ashes) quenched and silent.
30. Ah! Alas for (My) Servants! There comes not an apostle to them but they mock him!
31. See they not how many generations before them we destroyed? Not to them will they return:
32. But each one of them all - will be brought before Us (for judgment).
33. A Sign for them is the earth that is dead: We do give it life, and produce grain therefrom, of which ye do eat.
34. And We produce therein orchard with date-palms and vines, and We cause springs to gush forth therein:
35. That they may enjoy the fruits of this (artistry): It was not their hands that made this: will they not then give thanks?
36. Glory to Allah, Who created in pairs all things that the earth produces, as well as their own (human) kind and (other) things of which they have no knowledge.
37. And a Sign for them is the Night: We withdraw therefrom the Day, and behold they are plunged in darkness;
38. And the sun runs his course for a period determined for him: that is the decree of (Him), the Exalted in Might, the All-Knowing.
39. And the Moon - We have measured for her mansions (to traverse) till she returns like the old (and withered) lower part of a date-stalk.
40. It is not permitted to the Sun to catch up the Moon, nor can the Night outstrip the Day: Each (just) swims along in (its own) orbit (according to Law).
41. And a Sign for them is that We bore their race (through the Flood) in the loaded Ark;
42. And We have created for them similar (vessels) on which they ride.
43. If it were Our Will, We could drown them: then would there be no helper (to hear their cry), nor could they be delivered,
44. Except by way of Mercy from Us, and by way of (world) convenience (to serve them) for a time.
45. When they are told, “Fear ye that which is before you and that which will be after you, in order that ye may receive Mercy,” (they turn back).
46. Not a Sign comes to them from among the Signs of their Lord, but they turn away therefrom.
47. And when they are told, “Spend ye of (the bounties) with which Allah has provided you,” the Unbelievers say to those who believe: “Shall we then feed those whom, if Allah had so willed, He would have fed, (Himself)? - Ye are in nothing but manifest error.”
48. Further, they say, “When will this promise (come to pass), if what ye say is true?”
49. They will not (have to) wait for aught but a single Blast: it will seize them while they are yet disputing among themselves!
50. No (chance) will they then have, by will, to dispose (of their affairs), nor to return to their own people!
51. The trumpet shall be sounded, when behold! From the sepulchres (men) will rush forth to their Lord!
52. They will say: “Ah! Woe unto us! Who hath raised us up from our beds of repose?”… (A voice will say:) “This is what (Allah) Most Gracious had promised. And true was the word of the apostles!”
53. It will be no more than a single Blast, when lo! They will all be brought up before Us!
54. Then, on that Day, not a soul will be wronged in the least, and ye shall but be repaid the meeds of your past Deeds.
55. Verily the Companions of the Garden shall that Day have joy in all that they do;
56. They and their associates will be in groves of (cool) shade, reclining on Thrones (of dignity);
57. (Every) fruit (enjoyment) will be there for them; they shall have whatever they call for;
58. “Peace!” - a word (of salutation) from a Lord Most Merciful!
59. “And O ye in sin! Get ye apart this Day!
60. “Did I not enjoin on you, O ye Children of Adam, that ye should not worship Satan; for that he was to you an enemy avowed? -
61. “And that ye should worship Me, (for that) this was the Straight Way?
62. “But he did lead astray a great multitude of you. Did ye not, then, understand?
63. “This is the Hell of which ye were (repeatedly) warned!
64. “Embrace ye the (fire) this Day, for that ye (persistently) rejected (Truth).”
65. That Day shall We set a seal on their mouths. But their hands will speak to us, and their feet bear witness, to all that they did.
66. If it had been our Will, We could surely have blotted out their eyes; then should they have run about groping for the Path, but how could they have seen?
67. And if it had been Our Will, We could have transformed them (to remain) in their places; then should they have been unable to move about, nor could they have returned (after error).
68. If We grant long life to any, We cause him to be reversed in nature: Will they not then understand?
69. We have not instructed the (Prophet) in Poetry, nor is it meet for him: this is no less than a Message and a Qur’an making things clear:
70. That it may give admonition to any (who are) alive, and that the charge may be proved against those who reject (Truth).
71. See they not that it is We Who have created for them - among the things which Our hands have fashioned - cattle, which are under their dominion? -
72. And that We have subjected them to their (use)? Of them some do carry them and some they eat:
73. And they have (other) profits from them (besides), and they get (milk) to drink. Will they not then be grateful?
74. Yet they take (for worship) gods other than Allah, (hoping) that they might be helped!
75. They have not the power to help them: but they will be brought up (before Our Judgment-seat) as a troop (to be condemned).
76. Let not their speech, then, grieve thee. Verily We know what they hide as well as what they disclose.
77. Doth not man see that it is We Who created him from sperm? Yet behold! He (stands forth) as an open adversary!
78. And he makes comparisons for Us, and forgets his own (origin and) Creation: He says, “Who can give life to (dry) bones and decomposed ones (at that)?”
79. Say, “He will give them life Who created them for the first time! For He is Well-versed in every kind of creation! -
80. “The same Who produces for you fire out of the green tree, when behold! Ye kindle therewith (your own fires)!
81. “Is not He Who created the heavens and the earth able to create the like thereof?” - Yea, indeed! For He is the Creator Supreme, of skill and knowledge (infinite)!
82. Verily, when He intends a thing, His Command is, “be,” and it is!
83. So glory to Him in Whose hands is the dominion of all things: and to Him will ye be all brought back."
|36. Surah Ya-Sin
[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'an, and none but Allah (Alone) knows their meanings.]
2. By the Qur'an, full of wisdom (i.e. full of laws, evidences, and proofs),
3. Truly, you (O Muhammad) are one of the Messengers,
4. On a Straight Path (i.e. on Allah's religion of Islamic Monotheism).
5. (This is) a Revelation sent down by the All-Mighty, the Most Merciful,
6. In order that you may warn a people whose forefathers were not warned, so they are heedless.
7. Indeed the Word (of punishment) has proved true against most of them, so they will not believe.
8. Verily! We have put on their necks iron collars reaching to chins, so that their heads are forced up.
9. And We have put a barrier before them, and a barrier behind them, and We have covered them up, so that they cannot see.
10. It is the same to them whether you warn them or you warn them not, they will not believe.
11. You can only warn him who follows the Reminder (the Qur'an), and fears the Most Beneficent (Allah) unseen. Bear you to such one the glad tidings of forgiveness, and a generous reward (i.e. Paradise).
12. Verily, We give life to the dead, and We record that which they send before (them), and their traces [their footsteps and walking on the earth with their legs to the mosques for the five compulsory congregational prayers, Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) and all other good and evil they did, and that which they leave behind], and all things We have recorded with numbers (as a record) in a Clear Book.
13. And put forward to them a similitude; the (story of the) dwellers of the town, [It is said that the town was Antioch (Antakiya)], when there came Messengers to them.
14. When We sent to them two Messengers, they belied them both, so We reinforced them with a third, and they said: "Verily! We have been sent to you as Messengers."
15. They (people of the town) said: "You are only human beings like ourselves, and the Most Beneficent (Allah) has revealed nothing, you are only telling lies."
16. The Messengers said: "Our Lord knows that we have been sent as Messengers to you,
17. "And our duty is only to convey plainly (the Message)."
18. They (people) said: "For us, we see an evil omen from you, if you cease not, we will surely stone you, and a painful torment will touch you from us."
19. They (Messengers) said: "Your evil omens be with you! (Do you call it "evil omen") because you are admonished? Nay, but you are a people Musrifun (transgressing all bounds by committing all kinds of great sins, and by disobeying Allah).
20. And there came running from the farthest part of the town, a man, saying: "O my people! Obey the Messengers;
21. "Obey those who ask no wages of you (for themselves), and who are rightly guided.
22. "And why should I not worship Him (Allah Alone) Who has created me and to Whom you shall be returned.
23. "Shall I take besides Him aliha (gods), if the Most Beneficent (Allah) intends me any harm, their intercession will be of no use for me whatsoever, nor can they save me?
24. "Then verily, I should be in plain error.
25. Verily! I have believed in your Lord, so listen to me!"
26. It was said (to him when the disbelievers killed him): "Enter Paradise." He said: "Would that my people knew!
27. "That my Lord (Allah) has forgiven me, and made me of the honoured ones!"
28. And We sent not against his people after him a host from heaven, nor do We send (such a thing).
29. It was but one Saihah (shout, etc.) and lo! They (all) were silent (dead-destroyed).
30. Alas for mankind! There never came a Messenger to them but they used to mock at him.
31. Do they not see how many of the generations We have destroyed before them? Verily, they will not return to them.
32. And surely, all, everyone of them will be brought before Us.
33. And a sign for them is the dead land. We gave it life, and We brought forth from it grains, so that they eat thereof.
34. And We have made therein gardens of date-palms and grapes, and We have caused springs of water to gush forth therein.
35. So that they may eat of the fruit thereof, and their hands made it not. Will they not, then, give thanks?
36. Glory be to Him, Who has created all the pairs of that which the earth produces, as well as of their own (human) kind (male and female), and of that which they know not.
37. And a sign for them is the night, We withdraw therefrom the day, and behold, they are in darkness.
38. And the sun runs on its fixed course for a term (appointed). That is the Decree of the All-Mighty, the All-Knowing.
39. And the moon, We have measured for it mansions (to traverse) till it returns like the old dried curved date stalk.
40. It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor does the night outstrip the day. They all float, each in an orbit.
41. And an Ayah (sign) for them is that We bore their offspring in the laden ship [of Nuh (Noah)].
42. And We have created for them of the like thereunto, so on them they ride.
43. And if We will, We shall drown them, and there will be no shout (or helper) for them (to hear their cry for help) nor will they be saved.
44. Unless it be a mercy from Us, and as an enjoyment for a while.
45. And when it is said to them: "Beware of that which is before you (worldly torments), and that which is behind you (torments in the Hereafter), in order that you may receive Mercy (i.e. if you believe in Allah's Religion - Islamic Monotheism, and avoid polytheism, and obey Allah with righteous deeds).
46. And never came an Ayah from among the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of their Lord to them, but they did turn away from it.
47. And when it is said to them: "Spend of that with which Allah has provided you," those who disbelieve say to those who believe: "Shall we feed those whom, if Allah willed, He (Himself) would have fed? You are only in a plain error."
48. And they say: "When will this promise (i.e. Resurrection) be fulfilled, if you are truthful?"
49. They await only but a single Saihah (shout, etc.), which will seize them while they are disputing!
50. Then they will not be able to make bequest, nor they will return to their family.
51. And the Trumpet will be blown (i.e. the second blowing) and behold! From the graves they will come out quickly to their Lord.
52. They will say: "Woe to us! Who has raised us up from our place of sleep." (It will be said to them): "This is what the Most Beneficent (Allah) had promised, and the Messengers spoke truth!"
53. It will be but a single Saihah (shout, etc.), so behold! They will all be brought up before Us!
54. This Day (Day of Resurrection), none will be wronged in anything, nor will you be requited anything except that which you used to do.
55. Verily, the dwellers of the Paradise, that Day, will be busy in joyful things.
56. They and their wives will be in pleasant shade, reclining on thrones.
57. They will have therein fruits (of all kinds) and all that they ask for.
58. (It will be said to them): Salamun (peace be on you), a Word from the Lord (Allah), Most Merciful.
59. (It will be said): "And O you Al-Mujrimun (criminals, polytheists, sinners, disbelievers in the Islamic Monotheism, wicked evil ones, etc.)! Get you apart this Day (from the believers).
60. Did I not ordain for you, O Children of Adam, that you should not worship Shaitan (Satan). Verily, he is a plain enemy to you.
61. And that you should worship Me [Alone Islamic Monotheism, and set up not rivals, associate-gods with Me]. That is a Straight Path.
62. And indeed he (Satan) did lead astray a great multitude of you. Did you not, then, understand?
63. This is Hell which you were promised!
64. Burn therein this Day, for that you used to disbelieve.
65. This Day, We shall seal up their mouths, and their hands will speak to Us, and their legs will bear witness to what they used to earn. (It is said that one's left thigh will be the first to bear the witness).
66. And if it had been Our Will, We would surely have wiped out (blinded) their eyes, so that they would struggle for the Path, how then would they see?
67. And if it had been Our Will, We could have transformed them (into animals or lifeless objects) in their places. Then they should have been unable to go forward (move about) nor they could have turned back.
68. And he whom We grant long life, We reverse him in creation (weakness after strength). Will they not then understand?
69. And We have not taught him (Muhammad) poetry, nor is it meet for him. This is only a Reminder and a plain Qur'an.
70. That he or it (Muhammad or the Qur'an) may give warning to him who is living (a healthy minded the believer), and that Word (charge) may be justified against the disbelievers (dead, as they reject the warnings).
71. Do they not see that We have created for them of what Our Hands have created, the cattle, so that they are their owners.
72. And We have subdued them unto them so that some of them they have for riding and some they eat.
73. And they have (other) benefits from them (besides), and they get (milk) to drink, will they not then be grateful?
74. And they have taken besides Allah aliha (gods), hoping that they might be helped (by those so called gods).
75. They cannot help them, but they will be brought forward as a troop against those who worshipped them (at the time of Reckoning).
76. So let not their speech, then, grieve you (O Muhammad). Verily, We know what they conceal and what they reveal.
77. Does not man see that We have created him from Nutfah (mixed male and female discharge semen drops). Yet behold! He (stands forth) as an open opponent.
78. And he puts forth for Us a parable, and forgets his own creation. He says: "Who will give life to these bones when they have rotted away and became dust?"
79. Say: (O Muhammad) "He will give life to them Who created them for the first time! And He is the All-Knower of every creation!"
80. He, Who produces for you fire out of the green tree, when behold! You kindle therewith.
81. Is not He, Who created the heavens and the earth Able to create the like of them? Yes, indeed! He is the All-Knowing Supreme Creator.
82. Verily, His Command, when He intends a thing, is only that He says to it, "Be!" and it is!
83. So Glorified is He and Exalted above all that they associate with Him, and in Whose Hands is the dominion of all things, and to Him you shall be returned.