|Translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali||Translated by Hilali Khan|
|Surah 37 - Drawn Up In Ranks
With the Name of Allah, the Merciful Benefactor, The Merciful Redeemer
1. By those who range themselves in ranks,
2. And so are strong in repelling (evil),
3. And thus proclaim the Message (of Allah)!
4. Verily, verily, your Allah is one! -
5. Lord of the heavens and of the earth and all between them, and Lord of every point at the rising of the sun!
6. We have indeed decked the lower heaven with beauty (in) the stars -
7. (For beauty) and for guard against all obstinate rebellious evil spirits,
8. (So) they should not strain their ears in the direction of the Exalted Assembly but be cast away from every side,
9. Repulsed, for they are under a perpetual penalty,
10. Except such as snatch away something by stealth, and they are pursued by a flaming fire, of piercing brightness.
11. Just ask their opinion: are they the more difficult to create, or the (other) beings We have created? Them have We created out of a sticky clay!
12. Truly dost thou marvel, while they ridicule,
13. And, when they are admonished, pay no heed -
14. And, when they see a Sign, turn it to mockery,
15. And say, “This is nothing but evident sorcery!
16. “What! When we die, and become dust and bones, shall we (then) be raised up (again)
17. “And also our fathers of old?”
18. Say thou: “Yea, and ye shall then be humiliated (on account of your evil).”
19. Then it will be a single (compelling) cry; and behold, they will begin to see!
20. They will say, “Ah! Woe to us! This is the Day of Judgment!”
21. (A voice will say,) “This is the Day of Sorting Out, whose truth ye (once) denied!”
22. “Bring ye up,” it shall be said, “The wrong-doers and their wives, and the things they worshipped -
23. “Besides Allah, and lead them to the Way to the (Fierce) Fire!
24. “But stop them, for they must be asked:
25. “ ‘What is the matter with you that ye help not each other?’ ”
26. Nay, but that day they shall submit (to Judgment);
27. And they will turn to one another, and question one another.
28. They will say: “It was ye who used to come to us from the right hand (of power and authority)!”
29. They will reply: “Nay, ye yourselves had no Faith!
30. “Nor had we any authority over you. Nay, it was ye who were a people in obstinate rebellion!
31. “So now has been proved true, against us, the word of our Lord that we shall indeed (have to) taste (the punishment of our sins).
32. “We led you astray: for truly we were ourselves astray.”
33. Truly, that Day, they will (all) share in the Penalty.
34. Verily that is how We shall deal with Sinners.
35. For they, when they were told that there is no god except Allah, would puff themselves up with Pride,
36. And say: “What! Shall we give up our gods for the sake of a Poet possessed?”
37. Nay! He has come with the (very) Truth, and he confirms (the Message of) the apostles (before him).
38. Ye shall indeed taste of the Grievous Penalty -
39. But it will be no more than the retribution of (the Evil) that ye have wrought -
40. But the sincere (and devoted) Servants of Allah -
41. For them is a Sustenance determined,
42. Fruits (Delights); and they (shall enjoy) honour and dignity,
43. In Gardens of Felicity,
44. Facing each other on Thrones (of Dignity):
45. Round will be passed to them a Cup from a clear-flowing fountain,
46. Crystal-white, of a taste delicious to those who drink (thereof),
47. Free from headiness; nor will they suffer intoxication therefrom.
48. And besides them will be chaste women, restraining their glances, with big eyes (of wonder and beauty).
49. As if they were (delicate) eggs closely guarded.
50. Then they will turn to one another and question one another.
51. One of them will start the talk and say: “I had an intimate companion (on the earth),
52. “Who used to say, ‘what! Art thou amongst those who bear witness to the Truth (of the Message)?
53. “ ‘When we die and become dust and bones, shall we indeed receive rewards and punishments?’ ”
54. (A voice) said: “Would ye like to look down?”
55. He looked down and saw him in the midst of the Fire.
56. He said: “By Allah! Thou wast little short of bringing me to perdition!
57. “Had it not been for the Grace of my Lord, I should certainly have been among those brought (there)!
58. “Is it (the case) that we shall not die,
59. “Except our first death, and that we shall not be punished?”
60. Verily this is the supreme achievement!
61. For the like of this let all strive, who wish to strive.
62. Is that the better entertainment or the Tree of Zaqqum?
63. For We have truly made it (as) a trial for the wrong-doers.
64. For it is a tree that springs out of the bottom of Hell-Fire:
65. The shoots of its fruit-stalks are like the heads of devils:
66. Truly they will eat thereof and fill their bellies therewith.
67. Then on top of that they will be given a mixture made of boiling water.
68. Then shall their return be to the (Blazing) Fire.
69. Truly they found their fathers on the wrong Path;
70. So they (too) were rushed down on their footsteps!
71. And truly before them, many of the ancients went astray -
72. But We sent aforetime, among them, (apostles) to admonish them -
73. Then see what was the end of those who were admonished (but heeded not) -
74. Except the sincere (and devoted) Servants of Allah.
75. (In the days of old), Noah cried to Us, and We are the best to hear prayer.
76. And We delivered him and his people from the Great Calamity,
77. And made his progeny to endure (on this earth);
78. And We left (this blessing) for him among generations to come in later times:
79. “Peace and salutation to Noah among the nations!”
80. Thus indeed do we reward those who do right.
81. For he was one of our believing Servants.
82. Then the rest we overwhelmed in the Flood.
83. Verily among those who followed his Way was Abraham.
84. Behold! He approached his Lord with a sound heart.
85. Behold! He said to his father and to his people, “What is that which ye worship?
86. “Is it a falsehood - gods other than Allah - that ye desire?
87. “Then what is your idea about the Lord of the worlds?”
88. Then did he cast a glance at the Stars.
89. And he said, “I am indeed sick (at heart)!”
90. So they turned away from him, and departed.
91. Then did he turn to their gods and said, “will ye not eat (of the offerings before you)?…
92. “What is the matter with you that ye speak not (intelligently)?”
93. Then did he turn upon them, striking (them) with the right hand.
94. Then came (the worshippers) with hurried steps, and faced (him).
95. He said: “Worship ye that which ye have (yourselves) carved?
96. “But Allah has created you and your handwork!”
97. They said, “Build him a furnace, and throw him into the blazing fire!”
98. (This failing), they then sought a stratagem against him, but We made them the ones most humiliated!
99. He said: “I will go to my Lord! He will surely guide me!
100. “O my Lord! Grant me a righteous (son)!”
101. So We gave him the good news of a boy ready to suffer and forbear.
102. Then, when (the son) reached (the age of) (serious) work with him, he said: “O my son! I see in vision that I offer thee in sacrifice: Now see what is thy view!” (The son) said: “O my father! Do as thou art commanded: thou will find me, if Allah so wills one practising Patience and Constancy!”
103. So when they had both submitted their wills (to Allah), and he had laid him prostrate on his forehead (for sacrifice),
104. We called out to him “O Abraham!
105. “Thou hast already fulfilled the vision!” - thus indeed do We reward those who do right.
106. For this was obviously a trial -
107. And We ransomed him with a momentous sacrifice:
108. And We left (this blessing) for him among generations (to come) in later times:
109. “Peace and salutation to Abraham!”
110. Thus indeed do We reward those who do right.
111. For he was one of our believing Servants.
112. And We gave him the good news of Isaac - a prophet - one of the Righteous.
113. We blessed him and Isaac: but of their progeny are (some) that do right, and (some) that obviously do wrong, to their own souls.
114. Again (of old) We bestowed Our favour on Moses and Aaron,
115. And We delivered them and their people from (their) Great Calamity;
116. And We helped them, so they overcame (their troubles);
117. And We gave them the Book which helps to make things clear;
118. And We guided them to the Straight Way.
119. And We left (this blessing) for them among generations (to come) in later times:
120. “Peace and salutation to Moses and Aaron!”
121. Thus indeed do We reward those who do right.
122. For they were two of our believing Servants.
123. So also was Elias among those sent (by Us).
124. Behold, he said to his people, “Will ye not fear (Allah)?
125. “Will ye call upon Baal and forsake the Best of Creators -
126. “Allah, your Lord and Cherisher and the Lord and Cherisher of your fathers of old?”
127. But they rejected him, and they will certainly be called up (for punishment) -
128. Except the sincere and devoted Servants of Allah (among them).
129. And We left (this blessing) for him among generations (to come) in later times:
130. “Peace and salutation to such as Elias!”
131. Thus indeed do We reward those who do right.
132. For he was one of our believing Servants.
133. So also was Lut among those sent (by Us).
134. Behold, We delivered him and his adherents, all
135. Except an old woman who was among those who lagged behind:
136. Then We destroyed the rest.
137. Verily, ye pass by their (sites), by day -
138. And by night: will ye not understand?
139. So also was Jonah among those sent (by Us).
140. When he ran away (like a slave from captivity) to the ship (fully) laden,
141. He (agreed to) cast lots, and he was condemned:
142. Then the big Fish did swallow him, and he had done acts worthy of blame.
143. Had it not been that he (repented and) glorified Allah,
144. He would certainly have remained inside the Fish till the Day of Resurrection.
145. But We cast him forth on the naked shore in a state of sickness,
146. And We caused to grow, over him, a spreading plant of the gourd kind.
147. And We sent him (on a mission) to a hundred thousand (men) or more.
148. And they believed; so We permitted them to enjoy (their life) for a while.
149. Now ask them their opinion: Is it that thy Lord has (only) daughters, and they have sons? -
150. Or that We created the angels female, and they are witnesses (thereto)?
151. Is it not that they say, from their own invention,
152. “Allah has begotten children”? But they are liars!
153. Did He (then) choose daughters rather than sons?
154. What is the matter with you? How judge ye?
155. Will ye not then receive admonition?
156. Or have ye an authority manifest?
157. Then bring ye your Book (of authority) if ye be truthful!
158. And they have invented a blood-relationship between Him and the Jinns: but the Jinns know (quite well) that they have indeed to appear (before his Judgment-Seat)!
159. Glory to Allah! (He is free) from the things they ascribe (to Him)!
160. Not (so do) the Servants of Allah, sincere and devoted.
161. For, verily, neither ye nor those ye worship -
162. Can lead (any) into temptation concerning Allah,
163. Except such as are (themselves) going to the blazing Fire!
164. (Those ranged in ranks say): “Not one of us but has a place appointed;
165. “And we are verily ranged in ranks (for service);
166. “And we are verily those who declare (Allah’s) glory!”
167. And there were those who said,
168. “If only we had had before us a Message from those of old,
169. “We should certainly have been Servants of Allah, sincere (and devoted)!”
170. But (now that the Qur’an has come), they reject it: But soon will they know!
171. Already has Our Word been passed before (this) to our Servants sent (by Us),
172. That they would certainly be assisted,
173. And that Our forces - they surely must conquer.
174. So turn thou away from them for a little while,
175. And watch them (how they fare), and they soon shall see (how thou farest)!
176. Do they wish (indeed) to hurry on our Punishment?
177. But when it descends into the open space before them, evil will be the morning for those who were warned (and heeded not)!
178. So turn thou away from them for a little while,
179. And watch (how they fare) and they soon shall see (how thou farest)!
180. Glory to thy Lord, the Lord of Honour and Power! (He is free) from what they ascribe (to Him)!
181. And Peace on the apostles!
182. And Praise to Allah, the Lord and Cherisher of the Worlds."
|37. Surah As-Saffaat (Those Arranged in Ranks)
1. By those (angels) ranged in ranks (or rows).
2. By those (angels) who drive the clouds in a good way.
3. By those (angels) who bring the Book and the Qur'an from Allah to mankind.
4. Verily your Ilah (God) is indeed One (i.e. Allah);
5. Lord of the heavens and of the earth, and all that is between them, and Lord of every point of the sun's risings. (None has the right to be worshipped but Allah).
6. Verily! We have adorned the near heaven with the stars (for beauty).
7. And to guard against every rebellious devil.
8. They cannot listen to the higher group (angels) for they are pelted from every side.
9. Outcast, and theirs is a constant (or painful) torment.
10. Except such as snatch away something by stealing and they are pursued by a flaming fire of piercing brightness.
11. Then ask them (i.e. these polytheists, O Muhammad): "Are they stronger as creation, or those (others like the heavens and the earth and the mountains, etc.) whom We have created?" Verily, We created them of a sticky clay.
12. Nay, you (O Muhammad) wondered (at their insolence) while they mock (at you and at the Qur'an).
13. And when they are reminded, they pay no attention.
14. And when they see an Ayah (a sign, a proof, or an evidence) from Allah, they mock at it.
15. And they say: "This is nothing but evident magic!
16. "When we are dead and have become dust and bones, shall we (then) verily be resurrected?
17. "And also our fathers of old?"
18. Say (O Muhammad): "Yes, and you shall then be humiliated."
19. It will be a single Zajrah [shout (i.e. the second blowing of the Trumpet)], and behold, they will be staring!
20. They will say: "Woe to us! This is the Day of Recompense!"
21. (It will be said): "This is the Day of Judgement which you used to deny."
22. (It will be said to the angels): "Assemble those who did wrong, together with their companions (from the devils) and what they used to worship.
23. "Instead of Allah, and lead them on to the way of flaming Fire (Hell);
24. "But stop them, verily they are to be questioned.
25. "What is the matter with you? Why do you not help one another (as you used to do in the world)?"
26. Nay, but that Day they shall surrender,
27. And they will turn to one another and question one another.
28. They will say: "It was you who used to come to us from the right side [i.e. from the right side of one of us and beautify for us every evil, order us for polytheism, and stop us from the truth i.e. Islamic Monotheism and from every good deed]."
29. They will reply: "Nay, you yourselves were not believers.
30. "And we had no authority over you. Nay! But you were transgressing people (disobedient, polytheists, and disbelievers).
31. "So now the Word of our Lord has been justified against us, that we shall certainly (have to) taste (the torment).
32. "So we led you astray because we were ourselves astray."
33. Then verily, that Day, they will (all) share in the torment.
34. Certainly, that is how We deal with Al-Mujrimun (polytheists, sinners, criminals, the disobedient to Allah, etc.).
35. Truly, when it was said to them: La ilaha ill-Allah "(none has the right to be worshipped but Allah)," they puffed themselves up with pride (i.e. denied it).
36. And (they) said: "Are we going to abandon our aliha (gods) for the sake of a mad poet?
37. Nay! he (Muhammad) has come with the truth (i.e. Allah's Religion - Islamic Monotheism and this Qur'an) and he confirms the Messengers (before him who brought Allah's religion - Islamic Monotheism).
38. Verily, you (pagans of Makkah) are going to taste the painful torment;
39. And you will be requited nothing except for what you used to do (evil deeds, sins, and Allah's disobedience which you used to do in this world);
40. Save the chosen slaves of Allah (faithful, obedient, true believers of Islamic Monotheism).
41. For them there will be a known provision (in Paradise).
42. Fruits; and they shall be honoured,
43. In the Gardens of delight (Paradise),
44. Facing one another on thrones,
45. Round them will be passed a cup of pure wine;
46. White, delicious to the drinkers,
47. Neither they will have Ghoul (any kind of hurt, abdominal pain, headache, a sin, etc.) from that, nor will they suffer intoxication therefrom.
48. And with them will be chaste females, restraining their glances (desiring none except their husbands), with wide and beautiful eyes.
49. (Delicate and pure) as if they were (hidden) eggs (well) preserved.
50. Then they will turn to one another, mutually questioning.
51. A speaker of them will say: "Verily, I had a companion (in the world),
52. Who used to say: "Are you among those who believe (in resurrection after death).
53. "(That) when we die and become dust and bones, shall we indeed (be raised up) to receive reward or punishment (according to our deeds)?"
54. (The man) said: "Will you look down?"
55. So he looked down and saw him in the midst of the Fire.
56. He said: "By Allah! You have nearly ruined me.
57. "Had it not been for the Grace of my Lord, I would certainly have been among those brought forth (to Hell)."
58. (Allah informs about that true believer that he said): "Are we then not to die (any more)?
59. "Except our first death, and we shall not be punished? (after we have entered Paradise)."
60. Truly, this is the supreme success!
61. For the like of this let the workers work.
62. Is that (Paradise) better entertainment or the tree of Zaqqum (a horrible tree in Hell)?
63. Truly We have made it (as) a trail for the Zalimun (polytheists, disbelievers, wrong-doers, etc.).
64. Verily, it is a tree that springs out of the bottom of Hell-fire,
65. The shoots of its fruit-stalks are like the heads of Shayatin (devils);
66. Truly, they will eat thereof and fill their bellies therewith.
67. Then on the top of that they will be given boiling water to drink so that it becomes a mixture (of boiling water and Zaqqum in their bellies).
68. Then thereafter, verily, their return is to the flaming fire of Hell.
69. Verily, they found their fathers on the wrong path;
70. So they (too) made haste to follow in their footsteps!
71. And indeed most of the men of old went astray before them;
72. And indeed We sent among them warners (Messengers);
73. Then see what was the end of those who were warned (but heeded not).
74. Except the chosen slaves of Allah (faithful, obedient, and true believers of Islamic Monotheism).
75. And indeed Nuh (Noah) invoked Us, and We are the Best of those who answer (the request).
76. And We rescued him and his family from the great distress (i.e. drowning),
77. And, his progeny, them We made the survivors (i.e. Shem, Ham and Japheth).
78. And left for him (a goodly remembrance) among generations to come in later times:
79. Salamun (peace) be upon Nuh (Noah) (from Us) among the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists)!"
80. Verily, thus We reward the Muhsinun (good-doers).
81. Verily, he [Nuh (Noah)] was one of Our believing slaves.
82. Then We drowned the other (disbelievers and polytheists, etc.).
83. And, verily, among those who followed his [Nuh's (Noah)] way (Islamic Monotheism) was Ibrahim (Abraham).
84. When he came to his Lord with a pure heart [attached to Allah Alone and none else, worshipping none but Allah Alone true Islamic Monotheism, pure from the filth of polytheism].
85. When he said to his father and to his people: "What is it that which you worship?
86. "Is it a falsehood aliha (gods) other than Allah that you seek?
87. "Then what do you think about the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns, and all that exists)?"
88. Then he cast a glance at the stars (to deceive them),
89. And he said: "Verily, I am sick (with plague. He did this trick to remain in their temple of idols to destroy them and not to accompany them to the pagan's feast)."
90. So they turned away from him, and departed (for fear of the disease).
91. Then he turned to their aliha (gods) and said: "Will you not eat (of the offering before you)?
92. "What is the matter with you that you speak not?"
93. Then he turned upon them, striking (them) with (his) right hand.
94. Then they (the worshippers of idols) came, towards him, hastening.
95. He said: "Worship you that which you (yourselves) carve?
96. "While Allah has created you and what you make!"
97. They said: "Build for him a building (it is said that the building was like a furnace) and throw him into the blazing fire!"
98. So they plotted a plot against him, but We made them the lowest.
99. And he said (after his rescue from the fire): "Verily, I am going to my Lord. He will guide me!"
100. "My Lord! Grant me (offspring) from the righteous."
101. So We gave him the glad tidings of a forbearing boy.
102. And, when he (his son) was old enough to walk with him, he said: "O my son! I have seen in a dream that I am slaughtering you (offer you in sacrifice to Allah), so look what you think!" He said: "O my father! Do that which you are commanded, Insha' Allah (if Allah will), you shall find me of As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.)."
103. Then, when they had both submitted themselves (to the Will of Allah), and he had laid him prostrate on his forehead (or on the side of his forehead for slaughtering);
104. And We called out to him: "O Abraham!
105. You have fulfilled the dream (vision)!" Verily! Thus do We reward the Muhsinun (good-doers).
106. Verily, that indeed was a manifest trial
107. And We ransomed him with a great sacrifice (i.e. ßÈÔ - a ram);
108. And We left for him (a goodly remembrance) among generations (to come) in later times.
109. Salamun (peace) be upon Ibrahim (Abraham)!"
110. Thus indeed do We reward the Muhsinun (good-doers).
111. Verily, he was one of Our believing slaves.
112. And We gave him the glad tidings of Ishaque (Isaac) a Prophet from the righteous.
113. We blessed him and Ishaque (Isaac), and of their progeny are (some) that do right, and some that plainly wrong themselves.
114. And, indeed We gave Our Grace to Musa (Moses) and Harun (Aaron).
115. And We saved them and their people from the great distress;
116. And helped them, so that they became the victors;
117. And We gave them the clear Scripture;
118. And guided them to the Right Path;
119. And We left for them (a goodly remembrance) among generations (to come) in later times;
120. Salamun (peace) be upon Musa (Moses) and Harun (Aaron)!"
121. Verily, thus do We reward the Muhsinun (good-doers).
122. Verily! They were two of Our believing slaves.
123. And verily, Iliyas (Elias) was one of the Messengers.
124. When he said to his people: "Will you not fear Allah?
125. "Will you call upon Ba'l (a well- known idol of his nation whom they used to worship) and forsake the Best of creators,
126. "Allah, your Lord and the Lord of your forefathers?"
127. But they denied him [Iliyas (Elias)], so they will certainly be brought forth (to the punishment),
128. Except the chosen slaves of Allah.
129. And We left for him (a goodly remembrance) among generations (to come) in later times;
130. Salamun (peace) be upon Ilyasin (Elias)!"
131. Verily, thus do We reward the Muhsinun (good-doers, who perform good deeds totally for Allah's sake only).
132. Verily, he was one of Our believing slaves.
133. And verily, Lout (Lot) was one of the Messengers.
134. When We saved him and his family, all,
135. Except an old woman (his wife) who was among those who remained behind.
136. Then We destroyed the rest [i.e. the towns of Sodom at the place of the Dead Sea (now) in Palestine]. [See the "Book of History" by Ibn Kathir].
137. Verily, you pass by them in the morning.
138. And at night; will you not then reflect?
139. And, verily, Yunus (Jonah) was one of the Messengers.
140. When he ran to the laden ship,
141. He (agreed to) cast lots, and he was among the losers,
142. Then a (big) fish swallowed him and he had done an act worthy of blame.
143. Had he not been of them who glorify Allah,
144. He would have indeed remained inside its belly (the fish) till the Day of Resurrection.
145. But We cast him forth on the naked shore while he was sick,
146. And We caused a plant of gourd to grow over him.
147. And We sent him to a hundred thousand (people) or even more.
148. And they believed; so We gave them enjoyment for a while.
149. Now ask them (O Muhammad): "Are there (only) daughters for your Lord and sons for them?"
150. Or did We create the angels females while they were witnesses?
151. Verily, it is of their falsehood that they (Quraish pagans) say:
152. "Allah has begotten off spring or children (i.e. angels are the daughters of Allah)?" And, verily, they are liars!
153. Has He (then) chosen daughters rather than sons?
154. What is the matter with you? How do you decide?
155. Will you not then remember?
156. Or is there for you a plain authority?
157. Then bring your Book if you are truthful!
158. And they have invented a kinship between Him and the jinns, but the jinns know well that they have indeed to appear (before Him) (i.e. they will be brought for accounts).
159. Glorified is Allah! (He is Free) from what they attribute unto Him!
160. Except the slaves of Allah, whom He choses (for His Mercy i.e. true believers of Islamic Monotheism who do not attribute false things unto Allah).
161. So, verily you (pagans) and those whom you worship (idols).
162. Cannot lead astray [turn away from Him (Allah) anyone of the believers],
163. Except those who are predestined to burn in Hell!
164. There is not one of us (angels) but has his known place (or position);
165. Verily, we (angels), we stand in rows for the prayers (as you Muslims stand in rows for your prayers);
166. Verily, we (angels), we are they who glorify (Allah's Praises i.e. perform prayers).
167. And indeed they (Arab pagans) used to say;
168. "If we had a reminder as had the men of old (before the coming of Prophet Muhammad as a Messenger of Allah).
169. "We would have indeed been the chosen slaves of Allah (true believers of Islamic Monotheism)!"
170. But (now that the Qur'an has come) they disbelieve therein (i.e. in the Qur'an and in Prophet Muhammad, and all that which he brought, the Divine Revelation), so they will come to know!
171. And, verily, Our Word has gone forth of old for Our slaves, the Messengers,
172. That they verily would be made triumphant.
173. And that Our hosts, they verily would be the victors.
174. So turn away (O Muhammad) from them for a while,
175. And watch them and they shall see (the punishment)!
176. Do they seek to hasten on Our Torment?
177. Then, when it descends into their courtyard (i.e. near to them), evil will be the morning for those who had been warned!
178. So turn (O Muhammad) away from them for a while,
179. And watch and they shall see (the torment)!
180. Glorified be your Lord, the Lord of Honour and Power! (He is free) from what they attribute unto Him!
181. And peace be on the Messengers!
182. And all the praise and thanks be to Allah, Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists).