|Translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali||Translated by Hilali Khan|
|Surah 38 - The Letter Sad
With the Name of Allah, the Merciful Benefactor, The Merciful Redeemer
1. Sad: By the Qur’an, Full of Admonition: (This is the Truth).
2. But the Unbelievers (are steeped) in self-glory and Separatism.
3. How many generations before them did We destroy? In the end they cried (for mercy) - when there was no longer time for being saved!
4. So they wonder that a Warner has come to them from among themselves! And the Unbelievers say, “This is a sorcerer telling lies!
5. “Has he made the gods (all) into one Allah? Truly this is a wonderful thing!”
6. And the leader among them go away (impatiently), (saying), “Walk ye away, and remain constant to your gods! For this is truly a thing designed (against you)!
7. “We never heard (the like) of this among the people of these latter days: this is nothing but a made-up tale!”
8. “What! Has the Message been sent to him - (Of all persons) among us?”…but they are in doubt concerning My (Own) Message! Nay, they have not yet tasted My Punishment!
9. Or have they the treasures of the mercy of thy Lord - the Exalted in Power, the Grantor of Bounties without measure?
10. Or have they the dominion of the heavens and the earth and all between? If so, let them mount up with the ropes and means (to reach that end)!
11. But there - will be put to flight even a host of confederates.
12. Before them (were many who) rejected apostles - the people of Noah, and ‘Ad, and Pharaoh, the Lord of Stakes,
13. And Thamud, and the people of Lut, and the Companions of the Wood; - such were the Confederates.
14. Not one (of them) but rejected the apostles, but My punishment came justly and inevitably (on them).
15. These (today) only wait for a single mighty Blast, which (when it comes) will brook no delay.
16. They say: “Our Lord! Hasten to us our sentence (even) before the Day of Account!”
17. Have patience at what they say, and remember our servant David, the man of strength: for he ever turned (to Allah).
18. It was We that made the hills declare, in unison with him, Our Praises, at eventide and at break of day,
19. And the birds gathered (in assemblies): all with him did turn (to Allah).
20. We strengthened his kingdom, and gave him wisdom and sound judgment in speech and decision.
21. Has the Story of the Disputants reached thee? Behold, they climbed over the wall of the private chamber;
22. When they entered the presence of David, and he was terrified of them, they said: “Fear not: we are two disputants, one of whom has wronged the other: Decide now between us with truth, and treat us not with injustice, but guide us to the even Path..
23. “This man is my brother: He has nine and ninety ewes, and I have (but) one: Yet he says, ‘commit her to my care,’ and is (moreover) harsh to me in speech.”
24. (David) said: “He has undoubtedly wronged thee in demanding thy (single) ewe to be added to his (flock of) ewes: truly many are the partners (in business) who wrong each other: Not so do those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, and how few are they?”…and David gathered that We had tried him: he asked forgiveness of his Lord, fell down, bowing (in prostration), and turned (to Allah in repentance).
25. So We forgave him this (lapse): he enjoyed, indeed, a Near Approach to Us, and a beautiful place of (Final) Return.
26. O David! We did indeed make thee a vicegerent on earth: so judge thou between men in truth (and justice): Nor follow thou the lusts (of thy heart), for they will mislead thee from the Path of Allah: for those who wander astray from the Path of Allah, is a Penalty Grievous, for that they forget the Day of Account.
27. Not without purpose did We create heaven and earth and all between! That were the thought of Unbelievers! But woe to the Unbelievers because of the Fire (of Hell)!
28. Shall We treat those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, the same as those who do mischief on earth? Shall We treat those who guard against evil, the same as those who turn aside from the right?
29. (Here is) a Book which We have sent down unto thee, full of blessings, that they may mediate on its Signs, and that men of understanding may receive admonition.
30. To David We gave Solomon (for a son) - How excellent in Our service! Ever did he turn (to Us)!
31. Behold, there were brought before him, at eventide coursers of the highest breeding, and swift of foot;
32. And he said, “Truly do I love the love of good, with a view to the glory of my Lord,” - until (the sun) was hidden in the veil (of night):
33. “Bring them back to me.” then began he to pass his hand over (their) legs and their necks.
34. And We did try Solomon: We placed on his throne a body (without life); but he did turn (to Us in true devotion):
35. He said, “O my Lord! Forgive me, and grant me a kingdom which, (it may be), suits not another after me: for Thou art the Grantor of Bounties (without measure).”
36. Then We subjected the wind to his power, to flow gently to his order, Whithersoever he willed -
37. As also the evil ones, (including) every kind of builder and diver -
38. As also others bound together in fetters.
39. “Such are Our Bounties: whether thou bestow them (on others) or withhold them, no account will be asked.”
40. And he enjoyed, indeed, a Near Approach to Us, and a beautiful Place of (Final) Return.
41. Commemorate Our Servant Job. Behold he cried to his Lord: “The Evil One has afflicted me with distress and suffering!”
42. (The command was given:) “Strike with thy foot: here is (water) wherein to wash, cool and refreshing, and (water) to drink.”
43. And We gave him (back) his people, and doubled their number - as a Grace from Ourselves, and a thing for commemoration, for all who have Understanding.
44. “And take in thy hand a little grass, and strike therewith: and break not (thy oath).” Truly We found him full of patience and constancy. How excellent in Our service! Ever did he turn (to Us)!
45. And commemorate Our Servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, possessors of Power and Vision.
46. Verily We did choose them for a special (purpose) - proclaiming the Message of the Hereafter.
47. They were, in Our sight, truly, of the company of the Elect and the Good.
48. And commemorate Isma’il, Elisha, and Zul-Kifl: Each of them was of the Company of the Good.
49. This is a Message (of admonition): and verily, for the righteous, is a beautiful Place of (Final) Return -
50. Gardens of Eternity, whose doors will (ever) be open to them;
51. Therein will they recline (at ease): Therein can they call (at pleasure) for fruit in abundance, and (delicious) drink;
52. And beside them will be chaste women restraining their glances, (companions) of equal age.
53. Such is the Promise made, to you for the Day of Account!
54. Truly such will be Our Bounty (to you); it will never fail -
55. Yea, such! But - for the wrong-doers will be an evil place of (Final) Return! -
56. Hell! - they will burn therein - an evil bed (indeed, to lie on)! -
57. Yea, such! - then shall they taste it - a boiling fluid, and a fluid dark, murky, intensely cold! -
58. And other Penalties of a similar kind, to match them!
59. Here is a troop rushing headlong with you! No welcome for them! Truly, they shall burn in the Fire!
60. (The followers shall cry to the misleaders:) “Nay, ye (too)! No welcome for you! It is ye who have brought this upon us! Now evil is (this) place to stay in!”
61. They will say: “Our Lord! Whoever brought this upon us - Add to him a double Penalty in the Fire!”
62. And they will say: “What has happened to us that we see not men whom we used to number among the bad ones?
63. “Did we treat them (as such) in ridicule, or have (our) eyes failed to perceive them?”
64. Truly that is just and fitting - the mutual recriminations of the People of the Fire!
65. Say: “Truly am I a Warner: no god is there but the one Allah, Supreme and Irresistible -
66. “The Lord of the heavens and the earth, and all between - Exalted in Might, able to enforce His Will, forgiving again and again.”
67. Say: “That is a Message Supreme (above all) -
68. “From which ye do turn away!
69. “No knowledge have I of the Chiefs on high, when they discuss (matters) among themselves.
70. ‘Only this has been revealed to me: that I am to give warning plainly and publicly.”
71. Behold, thy Lord said to the angels: “I am about to create man from clay:
72. “When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him.”
73. So the angels prostrated themselves, all of them together:
74. Not so Iblis: he was haughty, and became one of those who reject Faith.
75. (Allah) said: “O Iblis! What prevents thee from prostrating thyself to one whom I have created with my hands? Art thou haughty? Or art thou one of the high (and mighty) ones?”
76. (Iblis) said: “I am better than he: thou createdst me from fire, and him thou createdst from clay.”
77. (Allah) said: “Then get thee out from here: for thou art rejected, accursed.
78. “And My curse shall be on thee till the Day of Judgment.”
79. (Iblis) said: “O my Lord! Give me then respite till the Day the (dead) are raised.”
80. (Allah) said: “Respite then is granted thee -
81. “Till the Day of the Time Appointed.”
82. (Iblis) said: “Then, by Thy power, I will put them all in the wrong -
83. “Except Thy Servants amongst them, sincere and purified (by Thy Grace).”
84. (Allah) said: “Then it is just and fitting - and I say what is just and fitting -
85. “That I will certainly fill Hell with thee and those that follow thee - every one.”
86. Say: “No reward do I ask of you for this (Qur’an), nor am I a pretender.
87. “This is no less than a Message to (all) the Worlds.
88. “And ye shall certainly know the truth of it (all) after a while.
|38. Surah Saad
[These letters (Sad etc.) are one of the miracles of the Qur'an and none but Allah (Alone) knows their meanings]. By the Qur'an full of reminding.
2. Nay, those who desbelieve are in false pride and opposition.
3. How many a generation We have destroyed before them, and they cried out when there was no longer time for escape!
4. And they (Arab pagans) wonder that a warner (Prophet Muhammad) has come to them from among themselves! And the disbelievers say: "This (Prophet Muhammad) is a sorcerer, a liar.
5. "Has he made the aliha (gods) (all) into One Ilah (God - Allah). Verily, this is a curious thing!"
6. And the leaders among them went about (saying): "Go on, and remain constant to your aliha (gods)! Verily, This is a thing designed (against you)!
7. "We have not heard (the like) of this among the people of these later days. This is nothing but an invention!
8. "Has the Reminder been sent down to him (alone) from among us?" Nay! but they are in doubt about My Reminder (this Qur'an)! Nay, but they have not tasted (My) Torment!
9. Or have they the treasures of the Mercy of your Lord, the All-Mighty, the Real Bestower?
10. Or is it that the dominion of the heavens and the earth and all that is between them is theirs? If so, let them ascend up with means (to the heavens)!
11. (As they denied Allah's Message) they will be a defeated host like the confederates of the old times (who were defeated).
12. Before them (were many who) belied Messengers, the people of Nuh (Noah); and 'Ad; and Fir'aun (Pharaoh) the man of stakes (with which he used to punish the people),
13. And Thamud, and the people of Lout (Lot), and the dwellers of the wood; such were the confederates.
14. Not one of them but belied the Messengers, therefore My Torment was justified,
15. And these only wait for a single Saihah [shout (i.e. the blowing of the Trumpet by the angel Israfil Sarafil)] there will be no pause or ending thereto [till everything will perish except Allah (the only God full of Majesty, Bounty and Honour)].
16. They say: "Our Lord! Hasten to us Qittana (i.e. our Record of good and bad deeds so that we see it) before the Day of Reckoning!"
17. Be patient (O Muhammad) of what they say, and remember Our slave Dawud (David), endued with power. Verily, he was ever oft-returning in all matters and in repentance (toward Allah).
18. Verily, We made the mountains to glorify Our Praises with him [Dawud (David)] in the 'Ashi (i.e. after the mid-day till sunset) and Ishraq (i.e. after the sunrise till mid-day).
19. And (so did) the birds assembled: all with him [Dawud (David)] did turn (to Allah i.e. glorified His Praises).
20. We made his kingdom strong and gave him Al-Hikmah (Prophethood, etc.) and sound judgement in speech and decision.
21. And has the news of the litigants reached you? When they climbed over the wall into (his) Mihrab (a praying place or a private room,).
22. When they entered in upon Dawud (David), he was terrified of them, they said: "Fear not! (We are) two litigants, one of whom has wronged the other, therefore judge between us with truth, and treat us not with injustice, and guide us to the Right Way.
23. Verily, this my brother (in religion) has ninety nine ewes, while I have (only) one ewe, and he says: "Hand it over to me, and he overpowered me in speech."
24. [Dawud (David)] said (immediately without listening to the opponent): "He has wronged you in demanding your ewe in addition to his ewes. And, verily, many partners oppress one another, except those who believe and do righteous good deeds, and they are few." And Dawud (David) guessed that We have tried him and he sought Forgiveness of his Lord, and he fell down prostrate and turned (to Allah) in repentance.
25. So We forgave him that, and verily, for him is a near access to Us, and a good place of (final) return (Paradise).
26. O Dawud (David)! Verily! We have placed you as a successor on earth, so judge you between men in truth (and justice) and follow not your desire for it will mislead you from the Path of Allah. Verily! Those who wander astray from the Path of Allah (shall) have a severe torment, because they forgot the Day of Reckoning.
27. And We created not the heaven and the earth and all that is between them without purpose! That is the consideration of those who disbelieve! Then woe to those who disbelieve (in Islamic Monotheism) from the Fire!
28. Shall We treat those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah Islamic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, as Mufsidun (those who associate partners in worship with Allah and commit crimes) on earth? Or shall We treat the Muttaqun (pious), as the Fujjar (criminals, disbelievers, wicked, etc)?
29. (This is) a Book (the Qur'an) which We have sent down to you, full of blessings that they may ponder over its Verses, and that men of understanding may remember.
30. And to Dawud (David) We gave Sulaiman (Solomon). How excellent (a) slave! Verily, he was ever oft-returning in repentance (to Us)!
31. When there were displayed before him, in the afternoon, well trained horses of the highest breed [for Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause)].
32. And he said: "Alas! I did love the good (these horses) instead of remembering my Lord (in my 'Asr prayer)" till the time was over, and (the sun) had hidden in the veil (of night).
33. Then he said "Bring them (horses) back to me." Then he began to pass his hand over their legs and their necks (till the end of the display).
34. And, indeed We did try Sulaiman (Solomon) and We placed on his throne Jasadan (a devil, so he lost his kingdom for a while) but he did return (to his throne and kingdom by the Grace of Allah and he did return) to Allah with obedience and in repentance.
35. He said: "My Lord! Forgive me, and bestow upon me a kingdom such as shall not belong to any other after me: Verily, You are the Bestower."
36. So, We subjected to him the wind, it blew gently to his order whithersoever he willed,
37. And also the Shayatin (devils) from the jinns (including) every kind of builder and diver,
38. And also others bound in fetters.
39. [Saying of Allah to Sulaiman (Solomon)]: "This is Our gift, so spend you or withhold, no account will be asked."
40. And verily, he enjoyed a near access to Us, and a good final return (Paradise).
41. And remember Our slave Ayub (Job), when he invoked his Lord (saying): "Verily! Shaitan (Satan) has touched me with distress (by losing my health) and torment (by losing my wealth)!
42. (Allah said to him): "Strike the ground with your foot: This is a spring of water to wash in, cool and a (refreshing) drink."
43. And We gave him (back) his family, and along with them the like thereof, as a Mercy from Us, and a Reminder for those who understand.
44. "And take in your hand a bundle of thin grass and strike therewith (your wife), and break not your oath. Truly! We found him patient. How excellent (a) slave! Verily, he was ever oft-returning in repentance (to Us)!
45. And remember Our slaves, Ibrahim (Abraham), Ishaque (Isaac), and Ya'qub (Jacob), (all) owners of strength (in worshipping Us) and (also) of religious understanding.
46. Verily, We did choose them by granting them (a good thing, i.e.) the remembrance of the home [in the Hereafter and they used to make the people remember it, and also they used to invite the people to obey Allah and to do good deeds for the Hereafter].
47. And they are with Us, verily, of the chosen and the best!
48. And remember Isma'il (Ishmael), Al-Yasa'a (Elisha), and Dhul-Kifl (Isaiah), all are among the best.
49. This is a Reminder, and verily, for the Muttaqun (pious and righteous persons) is a good final return (Paradise), -,
50. 'Adn (Edn) Paradise (everlasting Gardens), whose doors will be open for them, [It is said that one can speak to the doors, just one tells it to open and close, and it will open or close as it is ordered].
51. Therein they will recline; therein they will call for fruits in abundance and drinks;
52. And beside them will be chaste females (virgins) restraining their glances only for their husbands, (and) of equal ages.
53. This it is what you (Al-Muttaqun - the pious) are promised for the Day of Reckoning!
54. (It will be said to them)! Verily, this is Our Provision which will never finish;
55. This is so! And for the Taghun (transgressors, disobedient to Allah and His Messenger - disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah, criminals, etc.), will be an evil final return (Fire),
56. Hell! Where they will burn, and worst (indeed) is that place to rest!
57. This is so! Then let them taste it, a boiling fluid and dirty wound discharges.
58. And other torments of similar kind, all together!
59. This is a troop entering with you (in Hell), no welcome for them! Verily, they shall burn in the Fire!
60. (The followers of the misleaders will say): "Nay, you (too)! No welcome for you! It is you (misleaders) who brought this upon us (because you misled us in the world), so evil is this place to stay in!"
61. They will say: "Our Lord! Whoever brought this upon us, add to him a double torment in the Fire!"
62. And they will say: "What is the matter with us that we see not men whom we used to count among the bad ones?"
63. Did we take them as an object of mockery, or have (our) eyes failed to perceive them?"
64. Verily, that is the very truth, the mutual dispute of the people of the Fire!
65. Say (O Muhammad): "I am only a warner and there is no Ilah (God) except Allah (none has the right to be worshipped but Allah) the One, the Irresistible,
66. "The Lord of the heavens and the earth and all that is between them, the All-Mighty, the Oft-Forgiving."
67. Say: "That (this Qur'an) is a great news,
68. "From which you turn away!
69. "I had no knowledge of the chiefs (angels) on high when they were disputing and discussing (about the creation of Adam).
70. "Only this has been inspired to me, that I am a plain warner."
71. (Remember) when your Lord said to the angels: "Truly, I am going to create man from clay".
72. So when I have fashioned him and breathed into him (his) soul created by Me, then you fall down prostrate to him."
73. So the angels prostrated themselves, all of them:
74. Except Iblis (Satan) he was proud and was one of the disbelievers.
75. (Allah) said: "O Iblis (Satan)! What prevents you from prostrating yourself to one whom I have created with Both My Hands. Are you too proud (to fall prostrate to Adam) or are you one of the high exalted?"
76. [Iblis (Satan)] said: "I am better than he, You created me from fire, and You created him from clay."
77. (Allah) said: "Then get out from here, for verily, you are outcast.
78. "And verily!, My Curse is on you till the Day of Recompense."
79. [Iblis (Satan)] said: "My Lord! Give me then respite till the Day the (dead) are resurrected."
80. (Allah) said: "Verily! You are of those allowed respite
81. "Till the Day of the time appointed."
82. [Iblis (Satan)] said: "By Your Might, then I will surely mislead them all,
83. "Except Your chosen slaves amongst them (faithful, obedient, true believers of Islamic Monotheism)."
84. (Allah) said: "The Truth is, and the Truth I say,
85. That I will fill Hell with you [Iblis (Satan)] and those of them (mankind) that follow you, together."
86. Say (O Muhammad): "No wage do I ask of you for this (the Qur'an), nor am I one of the Mutakallifun (those who pretend and fabricate things which do not exist).
87. "It (this Qur'an) is only a Reminder for all the 'Alamin (mankind and jinns).
88. "And you shall certainly know the truth of it after a while."