|Translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali||Translated by Hilali Khan|
|Surah 43 - Ornaments Of Gold
With the Name of Allah, the Merciful Benefactor, The Merciful Redeemer
2. By the Book that makes things clear -
3. We have made it a Qur’an in Arabic, that ye may be able to understand (and learn wisdom).
4. And verily, it is in the Mother of the Book, in Our Presence, high (in dignity), full of wisdom.
5. Shall We then take away the Message from you and repel (you), for that ye are a people transgressing beyond bounds?
6. But how many were the prophets We sent amongst the peoples of old?
7. And never came there a prophet to them but they mocked him.
8. So We destroyed (them) - stronger in power than these - and (thus) has passed on the Parable of the peoples of old.
9. If thou wert to question them, ‘Who created the heavens and the earth?’ They would be sure to reply, ‘they were created by (Him), the Exalted in Power, Full of Knowledge’ -
10. (Yea, the same that) has made for you the earth (like a carpet) spread out, and has made for you roads (and channels) therein, in order that ye may find guidance (on the way);
11. That sends down (from time to time) rain from the sky in due measure - and We raise to life therewith a land that is dead; even so will ye be raised (from the dead) -
12. That has created pairs in all things, and has made for you ships and cattle on which ye ride,
13. In order that ye may sit firm and square on their backs, and when so seated, ye may celebrate the (kind) favour of your Lord, and say, “Glory to Him Who has subjected these to our (use), for we could never have accomplished this (by ourselves),
14. “And to our Lord, surely, must we turn back!”
15. Yet they attribute to some of His servants a share with Him (in his godhead)! Truly is man a blasphemous ingrate avowed!
16. What! Has He taken daughters out of what He himself creates, and granted to you sons for choice?
17. When news is brought to one of them of (the birth of) what he sets up as a likeness to (Allah) Most Gracious, his face darkens, and he is filled with inward grief!
18. Is then one brought up among trinkets, and unable to give a clear account in a dispute (to be associated with Allah)?
19. And they make into females angels who themselves serve Allah. Did they witness their creation? Their evidence will be recorded, and they will be called to account!
20. (“Ah!”) they say, “If it had been the will of (Allah) Most Gracious, we should not have worshipped such (deities)!” Of that they have no knowledge! They do nothing but lie!
21. What! Have We given them a Book before this, to which they are holding fast?
22. Nay! They say: “We found our fathers following a certain religion, and we do guide ourselves by their footsteps.”
23. Just in the same way, whenever We sent a Warner before thee to any people, the wealthy ones among them said: “We found our fathers following a certain religion, and we will certainly follow in their footsteps.”
24. He said: “What! Even if I brought you better guidance than that which ye found your fathers following?” They said: “For us, we deny that ye (prophets) are sent (on a mission at all).”
25. So We exacted retribution from them: now see what was the end of those who rejected (Truth)!
26. Behold! Abraham said to his father and his people: “I do indeed clear myself of what ye worship:
27. “(I worship) only Him Who made me, and He will certainly guide me.”
28. And he left it as a Word to endure among those who came after him, that they may turn back (to Allah).
29. Yea, I have given the good things of this life to these (men) and their fathers, until the Truth has come to them, and an apostle making things clear.
30. But when the Truth came to them, they said: “This is sorcery, and we do reject it.”
31. Also, they say: “Why is not this Qur’an sent down to some leading man in either of the two (chief) cities?”
32. Is it they who would portion out the Mercy of thy Lord? It is We Who portion out between them their livelihood in the life of this world: and We raise some of them above others in ranks, so that some may command work from others. But the Mercy of thy Lord is better than the (wealth) which they amass.
33. And were it not that (all) men might become of one (evil) way of life, We would provide, for everyone that blasphemes against (Allah) Most Gracious, silver roofs for their houses and (silver) stair-ways on which to go up,
34. And (silver) doors to their houses, and thrones (of silver) on which they could recline,
35. And also adornments of gold. But all this were nothing but conveniences of the present life: The Hereafter, in the sight of thy Lord is for the Righteous.
36. If anyone withdraws himself from remembrance of (Allah) Most Gracious, We appoint for him an evil one, to be an intimate companion to him.
37. Such (evil ones) really hinder them from the Path, but they think that they are being guided aright!
38. At length, when (such a one) comes to Us, he says (to his evil companion): “Would that between me and thee were the distance of East and West!” Ah! Evil is the companion (indeed)!
39. When ye have done wrong, it will avail you nothing, that Day, that ye shall be partners in Punishment!
40. Canst thou then make the deaf to hear, or give direction to the blind or to such as (wander) in manifest error?
41. Even if We take thee away, We shall be sure to exact retribution from them,
42. Or We shall show thee that (accomplished) which We have promised them: for verily We shall prevail over them.
43. So hold thou fast to the Revelation sent down to thee; verily thou art on a Straight Way.
44. The (Qur’an) is indeed the message, for thee and for thy people; and soon shall ye (all) be brought to account.
45. And question thou our apostles whom We sent before thee; did We appoint any deities other than (Allah) Most Gracious, to be worshipped?
46. We did send Moses aforetime, with Our Signs, to Pharaoh and his Chiefs: He said, “I am an apostle of the Lord of the Worlds.”
47. But when he came to them with Our Signs, behold they ridiculed them.
48. We showed them Sign after Sign, each greater than its fellow, and We seized them with Punishment, in order that they might turn (to Us).
49. And they said, “O thou sorcerer! Invoke thy Lord for us according to His covenant with thee; for we shall truly accept guidance.”
50. But when We removed the Penalty from them, behold, they broke their word.
51. And Pharaoh proclaimed among his people, saying: “O my people! Does not the dominion of Egypt belong to me, (witness) these streams flowing underneath my (palace)? What! See ye not then?
52. “Am I not better than this (Moses), who is a contemptible wretch and can scarcely express himself clearly?
53. “Then why are not gold bracelets bestowed on him, or (why) come (not) with him angels accompanying him in procession?”
54. Thus did he make fools of his people, and they obeyed him: truly were they a people rebellious (against Allah).
55. When at length they provoked Us, We exacted retribution from them, and We drowned them all.
56. And We made them (a people) of the Past and an Example to later ages.
57. When (Jesus) the son of Mary is held up as an example, behold, thy people raise a clamour thereat (in ridicule)!
58. And they say, “Are our gods best, or he?” This they set forth to thee, only by way of disputation: yea, they are a contentious people.
59. He was no more than a servant: We granted Our favour to him, and We made him an example to the Children of Israel.
60. And if it were Our Will, We could make angels from amongst you, succeeding each other on the earth.
61. And (Jesus) shall be a Sign (for the coming of) the Hour (of Judgment): therefore have no doubt about the (Hour), but follow ye Me: this is a Straight Way.
62. Let not the Evil One hinder you: for he is to you an enemy avowed.
63. When Jesus came with Clear Signs, he said: “Now have I come to you with Wisdom, and in order to make clear to you some of the (points) on which ye dispute: therefore fear Allah and obey me.
64. “For Allah, He is my Lord and your Lord: so worship ye Him: this is a Straight Way.”
65. But sects from among themselves fell into disagreement: then woe to the wrong-doers, from the Penalty of a Grievous Day!
66. Do they only wait for the Hour - that it should come on them all of a sudden, while they perceive not?
67. Friends on that day will be foes, one to another - except the Righteous.
68. My devotees! No fear shall be on you that Day, nor shall ye grieve -
69. (Being) those who have believed in Our Signs and bowed (their wills to Ours) in Islam.
70. Enter ye the Garden, ye and your wives, in (beauty and) rejoicing.
71. To them will be passed round, dishes and goblets of gold: there will be there all that the souls could desire, all that their ayes could delight in: and ye shall abide therein (for eye).
72. Such will be the Garden of which ye are made heirs for your (good) deeds (in life).
73. Ye shall have therein abundance of fruit, from which ye shall have satisfaction.
74. The sinners will be in the Punishment of Hell, to dwell therein (for aye):
75. Nowise will the (Punishment) be lightened for them, and in despair will they be there overwhelmed.
76. Nowise shall We be unjust to them: but it is they who have been unjust themselves.
77. They will cry: “O Malik! Would that thy Lord put an end to us!” He will say, “Nay, but ye shall abide!”
78. Verily We have brought the Truth to you: but most of you have a hatred for Truth.
79. What! Have they settled some plan (among themselves)? But it is We Who settle things.
80. Or do they think that We hear not their secrets and their private counsels? Indeed (We do), and Our messengers are by them, to record.
81. Say: “If (Allah) Most Gracious had a son, I would be the first to worship.”
82. Glory to the Lord of the heavens and the earth, the Lord of the Throne (of Authority)! (He is free) from the things they attribute (to him)!
83. So leave them to babble and play (with vanities) until they meet that Day of theirs, which they have been promised.
84. It is He Who is Allah in heaven and Allah on earth; and He is full of Wisdom and Knowledge.
85. And blessed is He to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all between them: with Him is the Knowledge of the Hour (of Judgment): and to Him shall ye be brought back.
86. And those whom they invoke besides Allah have no power of intercession - only he who bears witness to the Truth, and they know (him).
87. If thou ask them, who created them, they will certainly say, Allah: How then are they deluded away (from the Truth)?
88. (Allah has knowledge) of the (Prophet’s) cry, “O my Lord! Truly these are people who will not believe!”
89. But turn away from them, and say “Peace!” But soon shall they know!
|43. Surah Az-Zukhruf (The Gold Adornments)
[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'an, and none but Allah (Alone) knows their meanings].
2. By the manifest Book (that makes things clear, i.e. this Qur'an).
3. We verily, have made it a Qur'an in Arabic, that you may be able to understand (its meanings and its admonitions).
4. And Verily, it (this Qur'an) is in the Mother of the Book (i.e. Al-Lauh Al-Mahfuz), before Us, indeed Exalted, full of Wisdom.
5. Shall We then (warn you not and) take away the Reminder (this Qur'an) from you, because you are a people Musrifun.
6. And how many a Prophet have We sent amongst the men of old.
7. And never came there a Prophet to them but they used to mock at him.
8. Then We destroyed men stronger (in power) than these, and the example of the ancients has passed away (before them).
9. And indeed if you ask them, "Who has created the heavens and the earth?" They will surely say: "The All-Mighty, the All-Knower created them."
10. Who has made for you the earth like a bed, and has made for you roads therein, in order that you may find your way,
11. And Who sends down water (rain) from the sky in due measure. Then We revive a dead land therewith, and even so you will be brought forth (from the dead),
12. And Who has created all the pairs and has appointed for you ships and cattle on which you ride,
13. In order that you may mount firmly on their backs, and then may remember the Favour of your Lord when you mount thereon, and say: "Glory to Him who has subjected this to us, and we could never have it (by our efforts)."
14. And verily, to Our Lord we indeed are to return!
15. Yet they assign to some of His slaves a share with Him (by pretending that He has children, and considering them as equals or co-partners in worship with Him). Verily, man is indeed a manifest ingrate!
16. Or has He taken daughters out of what He has created, and He has selected for you sons?
17. And if one of them is informed of the news of (the birth of) that which he set forth as a parable to the Most Beneficent (Allah) (i.e. of a girl), his face becomes dark, gloomy, and he is filled with grief!
18. (Do they then like for Allah) a creature who is brought up in adornments (wearing silk and gold ornaments, i.e. women), and in dispute cannot make herself clear?
19. And they make the angels who themselves are slaves to the Most Beneficent (Allah) females. Did they witness their creation? Their evidence will be recorded, and they will be questioned!
20. And they said: "If it had been the Will of the Most Beneficent (Allah), we should not have worshipped them (false deities)." They have no knowledge whatsoever of that. They do nothing but lie!
21. Or have We given them any Book before this (the Qur'an), to which they are holding fast?
22. Nay! They say: "We found our fathers following a certain way and religion, and we guide ourselves by their footsteps."
23. And similarly, We sent not a warner before you (O Muhammad) to any town (people) but the luxurious ones among them said: "We found our fathers following a certain way and religion, and we will indeed follow their footsteps."
24. (The warner) said: "Even if I bring you better guidance than that which you found your fathers following?" They said: "Verily, We disbelieve in that with which you have been sent."
25. So We took revenge of them, then see what was the end of those who denied (Islamic Monotheism).
26. And (remember) when Ibrahim (Abraham) said to his father and his people: "Verily, I am innocent of what you worship,
27. "Except Him (i.e. I worship none but Allah Alone) Who did create me, and verily, He will guide me."
28. And he made it [i.e. La ilaha ill-Allah (none has the right to be worshipped but Allah Alone)] a Word lasting among his offspring (True Monotheism), that they may turn back (i.e. to repent to Allah or receive admonition).
29. Nay, but I gave (the good things of this life) to these (polytheists) and their fathers to enjoy, till there came to them the truth (the Qur'an), and a Messenger (Muhammad) making things clear.
30. And when the truth (this Qur'an) came to them, they (the disbelievers in this Qur'an) said: "This is magic, and we disbelieve therein."
31. And they say: "Why is not this Qur'an sent down to some great man of the two towns (Makkah and Ta'if)?"
32. Is it they who would portion out the Mercy of your Lord? It is We Who portion out between them their livelihood in this world, and We raised some of them above others in ranks, so that some may employ others in their work. But the Mercy (Paradise) of your Lord (O Muhammad) is better than the (wealth of this world) which they amass.
33. And were it not that all mankind would have become of one community (all disbelievers, desiring worldly life only), We would have provided for those who disbelieve in the Most Beneficent (Allah), silver roofs for their houses, and elevators (and stair-ways, etc. of silver) whereby they ascend,
34. And for their houses, doors (of silver), and thrones (of silver) on which they could recline,
35. And adornments of gold. Yet all this (i.e. the roofs, doors, stairs, elevators, thrones etc. of their houses) would have been nothing but an enjoyment of this world. And the Hereafter with your Lord is only for the Muttaqun.
36. And whosoever turns away (blinds himself) from the remembrance of the Most Beneficent (Allah) (i.e. this Qur'an and worship of Allah), We appoint for him Shaitan (Satan - devil) to be a Qarin (an intimate companion) to him.
37. And verily, they (Satans / devils) hinder them from the Path (of Allah), but they think that they are guided aright!
38. Till, when (such a one) comes to Us, he says [to his Qarin (Satan / devil companion)] "Would that between me and you were the distance of the two easts (or the east and west)" a worst (type of) companion (indeed)!
39. It will profit you not this Day (O you who turn away from Allah's remembrance and His worship, etc.) as you did wrong, (and) that you will be sharers (you and your Qarin) in the punishment.
40. Can you (O Muhammad) make the deaf to hear, or can you guide the blind or him who is in manifest error?
41. And even if We take you (O Muhammad) away, We shall indeed take vengeance on them.
42. Or (if) We show you that wherewith We threaten them, then verily, We have perfect command over them.
43. So hold you (O Muhammad) fast to that which is inspired in you. Verily, you are on a Straight Path.
44. And verily, this (the Qur'an) is indeed a Reminder for you (O Muhammad) and your people (Quraish people, or your followers), and you will be questioned (about it).
45. And ask (O Muhammad) those of Our Messengers whom We sent before you: "Did We ever appoint aliha (gods) to be worshipped besides the Most Beneficent (Allah)?"
46. And indeed We did send Musa (Moses) with Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) to Fir'aun (Pharaoh) and his chiefs (inviting them to Allah's Religion of Islam) He said: "Verily, I am a Messenger of the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists)."
47. But when he came to them with Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) behold! They laughed at them.
48. And not an Ayah (sign, etc.) We showed them but it was greater than its fellow, and We seized them with torment, in order that they might turn [from their polytheism to Allah's Religion (Islamic Monotheism)].
49. And they said [to Musa (Moses)]: "O you sorcerer! Invoke your Lord for us according to what He has covenanted with you. Verily, We shall guide ourselves (aright)."
50. But when We removed the torment from them, behold! They broke their covenant (that they will believe if We remove the torment for them).
51. And Fir'aun (Pharaoh) proclaimed among his people, saying: "O my people! Is not mine the dominion of Egypt, and these rivers flowing underneath me. See you not then?
52. "Am I not better than this one [Musa (Moses)], who is Mahin [has no honour nor any respect, and is weak and despicable] and can scarcely express himself clearly?
53. "Why then are not golden bracelets bestowed on him, or angels sent along with him?"
54. Thus he [Fir'aun (Pharaoh)] befooled and misled his people, and they obeyed him. Verily, they were ever a people who were Fasiqun (rebellious, disobedient to Allah).
55. So when they angered Us, We punished them, and drowned them all.
56. And We made them a precedent (as a lesson for those coming after them), and an example to later generations.
57. And when the son of Maryam (Mary) is quoted as an example [i.e. 'Iesa (Jesus) is worshipped like their idols), behold! Your people cry aloud (laugh out at the example).
58. And say: "Are our aliha (gods) better or is he ['Iesa (Jesus)]?" They quoted not the above example except for argument. Nay! But they are a quarrelsome people.
59. He ['Iesa (Jesus)] was not more than a slave. We granted Our Favour to him, and We made him an example to the Children of Israel (i.e. his creation without a father).
60. And if it were Our Will, We would have [destroyed you (mankind) all, and] made angels to replace you on the earth.
61. And he ['Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary)] shall be a known sign for (the coming of) the Hour (Day of Resurrection) [i.e. 'Iesa's (Jesus) descent on the earth]. Therefore have no doubt concerning it (i.e. the Day of Resurrection). And follow Me (Allah) (i.e. be obedient to Allah and do what He orders you to do, O mankind)! This is the Straight Path (of Islamic Monotheism, leading to Allah and to His Paradise).
62. And let not Shaitan (Satan) hinder you (from the right religion, i.e. Islamic Monotheism), Verily, he (Satan) to you is a plain enemy.
63. And when 'Iesa (Jesus) came with (Our) clear Proofs, he said: "I have come to you with Al-Hikmah (Prophethood), and in order to make clear to you some of the (points) in which you differ, therefore fear Allah and obey me,
64. "Verily, Allah! He is my Lord (God) and your Lord (God). So worship Him (Alone). This is the (only) Straight Path (i.e. Allah's religion of true Islamic Monotheism)."
65. But the sects from among themselves differed. So woe to those who do wrong (by ascribing things to 'Iesa (Jesus) that are not true) from the torment of a painful Day (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)!
66. Do they only wait for the Hour that it shall come upon them suddenly, while they perceive not?
67. Friends on that Day will be foes one to another except Al-Muttaqun (pious).
68. (It will be said to the true believers of Islamic Monotheism): My worshippers! No fear shall be on you this Day, nor shall you grieve,
69. (You) who believed in Our Ayat (proofs, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and were Muslims (i.e. who submit totally to Allah's Will, and believe in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism).
70. Enter Paradise, you and your wives, in happiness.
71. Trays of gold and cups will be passed round them, (there will be) therein all that the one's inner-selves could desire, all that the eyes could delight in, and you will abide therein forever.
72. This is the Paradise which you have been made to inherit because of your deeds which you used to do (in the life of the world).
73. Therein for you will be fruits in plenty, of which you will eat (as you desire).
74. Verily, the Mujrimun (criminals, sinners, disbelievers, etc.) will be in the torment of Hell to abide therein forever.
75. (The torment) will not be lightened for them, and they will be plunged into destruction with deep regrets, sorrows and in despair therein.
76. We wronged them not, but they were the Zalimun (polytheists, wrong-doers, etc.).
77. And they will cry: "O Malik (Keeper of Hell)! Let your Lord make an end of us." He will say: "Verily you shall abide forever."
78. Indeed We have brought the truth (Muhammad with the Qur'an), to you, but most of you have a hatred for the truth.
79. Or have they plotted some plan? Then We too are planning.
80. Or do they think that We hear not their secrets and their private counsel? (Yes We do) and Our Messengers (appointed angels in charge of mankind) are by them, to record.
81. Say (O Muhammad): "If the Most Beneficent (Allah) had a son (or children as you pretend), then I am the first of Allah's worshippers [who deny and refute this claim of yours (and the first to believe in Allah Alone and testify that He has no children)]." .
82. Glorified be the Lord of the heavens and the earth, the Lord of the Throne! Exalted be He from all that they ascribe (to Him).
83. So leave them (alone) to speak nonsense and play until they meet the Day of theirs, which they have been promised.
84. It is He (Allah) Who is the only Ilah (God to be worshipped) in the heaven and the only Ilah (God to be worshipped) on the earth. And He is the All-Wise, the All-Knower.
85. And blessed be He to Whom belongs the kingdom of the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, and with Whom is the knowledge of the Hour, and to Whom you (all) will be returned.
86. And those whom they invoke instead of Him have no power of intercession; except those who bear witness to the truth (i.e. believed in the Oneness of Allah, and obeyed His Orders), and they know (the facts about the Oneness of Allah).
87. And if you ask them who created them, they will surely say: "Allah". How then are they turned away (from the worship of Allah, Who created them)?
88. (Allah has knowledge) of (Prophet Muhammad's) saying: "O my Lord! Verily, these are a people who believe not!"
89. So turn away from them (O Muhammad), and say: Salam (peace)! But they will come to know.