|Translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali||Translated by Hilali Khan|
|Surah 56 - The Event
With the Name of Allah, the Merciful Benefactor, The Merciful Redeemer
1. When the Event inevitable cometh to pass,
2. Then will no (soul) entertain falsehood concerning its coming.
3. (Many) will it bring low; (many) will it exalt;
4. When the earth shall be shaken to its depths,
5. And the mountains shall be crumbled to atoms,
6. Becoming dust scattered abroad,
7. And ye shall be sorted out into three classes.
8. Then (there will be) the Companions of the Right Hand - What will be the Companions of the Right Hand?
9. And the Companions of the Left Hand - what will be the Companions of the Left Hand?
10. And those Foremost (in Faith) will be Foremost (in the Hereafter).
11. These will be those Nearest to Allah:
12. In Gardens of Bliss:
13. A number of people from those of old,
14. And a few from those of later times.
15. (They will be) on Thrones encrusted (with gold and precious stones),
16. Reclining on them, facing each other.
17. Round about them will (serve) youths of perpetual (freshness),
18. With goblets, (shining) beakers, and cups (filled) out of clear-flowing fountains:
19. No after-ache will they receive therefrom, nor will they suffer intoxication:
20. And with fruits, any that they may select:
21. And the flesh of fowls, any that they may desire.
22. And (there will be) Companions with beautiful, big, and lustrous eyes -
23. Like unto Pearls well-guarded.
24. A Reward for the deeds of their past (life).
25. Not frivolity will they hear therein, nor any taint of ill -
26. Only the saying, “Peace! Peace.”
27. The Companions of the Right Hand - what will be the Companions of the Right Hand?
28. (They will be) among Lote-trees without thorns,
29. Among Talh trees with flowers (or fruits) piled one above another -
30. In shade long-extended,
31. By water flowing constantly,
32. And fruit in abundance.
33. Whose season is not limited, nor (supply) forbidden,
34. And on Thrones (of Dignity), raised high.
35. We have created (their Companions) of special creation.
36. And made them virgin - pure (and undefiled) -
37. Beloved (by nature), equal in age -
38. For the Companions of the Right Hand.
39. A (goodly) number from those of old,
40. And a (goodly) number from those of later times.
41. The Companions of the Left Hand - what will be the Companions of the Left Hand?
42. (They will be) in the midst of a Fierce Blast of Fire and in Boiling Water,
43. And in the shades of Black Smoke:
44. Nothing (will there be) to refresh, nor to please:
45. For that they were wont to be indulged, before that, in wealth (and luxury),
46. And persisted obstinately in wickedness supreme!
47. And they used to say, “What! When we die and become dust and bones, shall we then indeed be raised up again? -
48. “(We) and our fathers of old?”
49. Say: “Yea, those of old and those of later times,
50. “All will certainly be gathered together for the meeting appointed for a Day well-known.
51. “Then will ye truly - O ye that go wrong, and treat (Truth) as Falsehood! -
52. “Ye will surely taste of the Tree of Zaqqum.
53. “Then will ye fill your insides therewith,
54. “And drink Boiling Water on top of it:
55. “Indeed ye shall drink like diseased camels raging with thirst!”
56. Such will be their entertainment on the Day of Requital!
57. It is We Who have created you: why will ye not witness the Truth?
58. Do ye then see? - The (human Seed) that ye throw out -
59. Is it ye who create it, or are We the Creators?
60. We have decreed Death to be your common lot, and We are not to be frustrated
61. from changing your Forms and creating you (again) in (forms) that ye know not.
62. And ye certainly know already the first form of creation: why then do ye not celebrate His praises?
63. See ye the seed that ye sow in the ground?
64. Is it ye that cause it to grow, or are We the Cause?
65. Were it Our Will, We could crumble it to dry powder, and ye would be left in wonderment,
66. (Saying), “We are indeed left with debts (for nothing):
67. “Indeed are we shut out (of the fruits of our labour)”
68. See ye the water which ye drink?
69. Do ye bring it down (in rain) from the cloud or do We?
70. Were it Our Will, We could make it salt (and unpalatable): then why do ye not give thanks?
71. See ye the Fire which ye kindle?
72. Is it ye who grow the tree which feeds the fire, or do We grow it?
73. We have made it a memorial (of Our handiwork), and an article of comfort and convenience for the denizens of deserts.
74. Then celebrate with praises the name of thy Lord, the Supreme!
75. Furthermore I call to witness the setting of the Stars -
76. And that is indeed a mighty adjuration if ye but knew -
77. That this is indeed a qur’an Most Honourable,
78. In Book well-guarded,
79. Which none shall touch but those who are clean:
80. A Revelation from the Lord of the Worlds.
81. Is it such a Message that ye would hold in light esteem?
82. And have ye made it your livelihood that ye should declare it false?
83. Then why do ye not (intervene) when (the soul of the dying man) reaches the throat -
84. And ye the while (sit) looking on -
85. But We are nearer to him than ye, and yet see not -
86. Then why do ye not - If you are exempt from (future) account -
87. Call back the soul, if ye are true (in the claim of independence)?
88. Thus, then, if he be of those Nearest to Allah,
89. (There is for him) Rest and Satisfaction, and a Garden of Delights.
90. And if he be of the Companions of the Right Hand,
91. (For him is the salutation), “Peace be unto thee,” from the Companions of the Right Hand.
92. And if he be of those who treat (Truth) as Falsehood, who go wrong,
93. For him is Entertainment with Boiling Water.
94. And burning in Hell-Fire.
95. Verily, this is the Very Truth and Certainly.
96. So celebrate with praises the name of thy Lord, the Supreme."
|56. Surah Al-Waqi'ah (The Event)
1. When the Event (i.e. the Day of Resurrection) befalls.
2. And there can be no denying of its befalling.
3. It will bring low (some); (and others) it will exalt;
4. When the earth will be shaken with a terrible shake.
5. And the mountains will be powdered to dust.
6. So that they will become floating dust particles.
7. And you (all) will be in three kinds (i.e. separate groups).
8. So those on the Right Hand (i.e. those who will be given their Records in their right hands), Who will be those on the Right Hand? (As a respect for them, because they will enter Paradise).
9. And those on the Left Hand (i.e. those who will be given their Record in their left hands), Who will be those on the Left Hand? (As a disgrace for them, because they will enter Hell).
10. And those foremost [(in Islamic Faith of Monotheism and in performing righteous deeds) in the life of this world on the very first call for to embrace Islam,] will be foremost (in Paradise).
11. These will be those nearest to Allah.
12. In the Gardens of delight (Paradise).
13. A multitude of those (foremost) will be from the first generations (who embraced Islam).
14. And a few of those (foremost) will be from the later time (generations).
15. (They will be) on thrones woven with gold and precious stones,
16. Reclining thereon, face to face.
17. They will be served by immortal boys,
18. With cups, and jugs, and a glass from the flowing wine,
19. Wherefrom they will get neither any aching of the head, nor any intoxication.
20. And fruit; that they may choose.
21. And the flesh of fowls that they desire.
22. And (there will be) Houris (fair females) with wide, lovely eyes (as wives for the pious),
23. Like unto preserved pearls.
24. A reward for what they used to do.
25. No Laghw (dirty, false, evil vain talk) will they hear therein, nor any sinful speech (like backbiting, etc.).
26. But only the saying of: Salam!, Salam! (greetings with peace) !
27. And those on the Right Hand, - Who will be those on the Right Hand?
28. (They will be) among thornless lote-trees,
29. Among Talh (banana-trees) with fruits piled one above another,
30. In shade long-extended,
31. By water flowing constantly,
32. And fruit in plenty,
33. Whose season is not limited, and their supply will not be cut off,
34. And on couches or thrones, raised high.
35. Verily, We have created them (maidens) of special creation.
36. And made them virgins.
37. Loving (their husbands only), equal in age.
38. For those on the Right Hand.
39. A multitude of those (on the Right Hand) will be from the first generation (who embraced Islam).
40. And a multitude of those (on the Right Hand) will be from the later times (generations).
41. And those on the Left Hand Who will be those on the Left Hand?
42. In fierce hot wind and boiling water,
43. And shadow of black smoke,
44. (That shadow) neither cool, nor (even) good,
45. Verily, before that, they indulged in luxury,
46. And were persisting in great sin (joining partners in worship along with Allah, committing murders and other crimes, etc.)
47. And they used to say: "When we die and become dust and bones, shall we then indeed be resurrected?
48. "And also our forefathers?"
49. Say (O Muhammad): "(Yes) verily, those of old, and those of later times.
50. "All will surely be gathered together for appointed Meeting of a known Day.
51. "Then moreover, verily, you the erring-ones, the deniers (of Resurrection)!
52. "You verily will eat of the trees of Zaqqum.
53. "Then you will fill your bellies therewith,
54. "And drink boiling water on top of it,
55. "So you will drink (that) like thirsty camels!"
56. That will be their entertainment on the Day of Recompense!
57. We created you, then why do you believe not?
58. Then tell Me (about) the human semen that you emit.
59. Is it you who create it (i.e. make this semen into a perfect human being), or are We the Creator?
60. We have decreed death to you all, and We are not unable,
61. To transfigure you and create you in (forms) that you know not.
62. And indeed, you have already known the first form of creation (i.e. the creation of Adam), why then do you not remember or take heed?
63. Tell Me! The seed that you sow in the ground.
64. Is it you that make it grow, or are We the Grower?
65. Were it Our Will, We could crumble it to dry pieces, and you would be regretful (or left in wonderment).
66. (Saying): "We are indeed Mughramun (i.e. ruined or lost the money without any profit, or punished by the loss of all that we spend for cultivation, etc.)!
67. "Nay, but we are deprived!"
68. Tell Me! The water that you drink.
69. Is it you who cause it from the rainclouds to come down, or are We the Causer of it to come down?
70. If We willed, We verily could make it salt (and undrinkable), why then do you not give thanks (to Allah)?
71. Tell Me! The fire which you kindle,
72. Is it you who made the tree thereof to grow, or are We the Grower?
73. We have made it a Reminder (for the Hell-fire, in the Hereafter); and an article of use for the travellers (and all the others, in this world).
74. Then glorify with praises the Name of your Lord, the Most Great.
75. So I swear by Mawaqi (setting or the mansions, etc.) of the stars (they traverse).
76. And verily, that is indeed a great oath, if you but know.
77. That (this) is indeed an honourable recital (the Noble Qur'an).
78. In a Book well-guarded (with Allah in the heaven i.e. Al-Lauh Al-Mahfuz).
79. Which (that Book with Allah) none can touch but the purified (i.e. the angels).
80. A Revelation (this Qur'an) from the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists).
81. Is it such a talk (this Qur'an) that you (disbelievers) deny?
82. And instead (of thanking Allah) for the provision He gives you, on the contrary, you deny Him (by disbelief)!
83. Then why do you not (intervene) when (the soul of a dying person) reaches the throat?
84. And you at the moment are looking on,
85. But We (i.e. Our angels who take the soul) are nearer to him than you, but you see not,
86. Then why do you not, if you are exempt from the reckoning and recompense (punishment, etc.)
87. Bring back the soul (to its body), if you are truthful?
88. Then, if he (the dying person) be of the Muqarrabun (those brought near to Allah),
89. (There is for him) rest and provision, and a Garden of delights (Paradise).
90. And if he (the dying person) be of those on the Right Hand,
91. Then there is safety and peace (from the Punishment of Allah) for (you as you are from) those on the Right Hand.
92. But if he (the dying person) be of the denying (of the Resurrection), the erring (away from the Right Path of Islamic Monotheism),
93. Then for him is entertainment with boiling water.
94. And burning in Hell-fire.
95. Verily, this! This is an absolute Truth with certainty.
96. So glorify with praises the Name of your Lord, the Most Great.